“Centrally Chandigarh”
Review of Hotel Aroma

Hotel Aroma
Ranked #38 of 107 Hotels in Chandigarh
Reviewed December 19, 2009

The best thing about Hotel Aroma, Chandigarh is its location at the heart of the city, close to shopping Sector 17. It's a budget hotel, clean, comfortable and reasonably good food. Chandigarh is a beautiful city, fully walkable. I walked to all those green parks and gardens, one each morning, like Lake Park, Fragrance Park, Rose garden, Flower garden, Botanical garden, Bougainvillea Park, Smriti Upavan, Shanti Kunj and even the lawns inside Punjab University.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business

Reviewed November 16, 2009

Centrally located, decent rooms, cordial and attentive staff and god food. Overall enoyable getaway at reasonabe price.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I stayed at the Aroma several times in 2008 and 2009, each time 5-8 days. Most of the descriptions of fellow travelers hit the nail on the head. First of all never choose a room on ground floor it might be too noisy because of kitchen and restaurant. The staff at the reception is not very qualified, one of the girls was supposed to buy me a train ticket and 24 hrs later asked me if I really wanted to leave on the day I had told her. The rooms are nice but the window type aircons are from yesteryear, noisy and without any control except a on/off switch. The cleaning staff is everywhere busy but doesn't know how to clean properly, several times I found hairballs on the floor. I was told that the Aroma is the famous hotel of former times in Chandigarh, like a old lady who is in urgent need of care. The Sikh family who owns the hotel recently invested in some kind of minor cosmetic up-grading of several rooms and a new ball room. However, there is no qualified person in charge of day to day operations. The breakfast is the same every morning but it is ok. A restaurant with pizza and all kind of food belongs to the Aroma and is recommended. Since recently there is a big plus to the hotel: free internet access in all rooms.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Hotel Aroma, booked a standard room and guess what.. the bathroom was full of a stench which resembled puke. It was a major turn off and a deal-breaker such that we ended up checking out the very next day (we had just a 2 night stay in Chandigarh) and moved on to the City Heart hotel nearby which was much better at cheaper rates.
The room was depressing and tired. Decor was quite staid and shabby. The AC didnt have any cooling control, so after switching it on for some time it became too cold and we had to switch it off and use the cieling fan. The rooms are in the ground floor just beside the restaurant, and ours was besides the kitchen. Lot of noise from the restaurant staff and the kitchens. There was also some renovation going on in the ground floor so the access to the rooms was a bit blocked.
Overall it seems to be suited for business travelers, if you get the higher category rooms. For casual or holiday travel, I would recommend to avoid it like the plage.
Oh and another turn-off.. the bell boys are only interested in tips. Ours brought our luggage to the room, though I said I would carry it myself.. and then would budge from the room till he got his tip.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I have lived at this property at least 3 or 4 times in the past 6 months.

The lobby is okay, bar and restaurant is also okay. Rooms are very old fashioned. They still have old fashioned geysers to heat water. You can sense the staff is not willing to work. Breakfast is almost the same every day. Property could do very well with renovation, but I don’t think the management is in a mood for change.

There is no gym, or pool, like in almost every hotel in Chandigarh. My first two or three stays were okay, but the last one was incredible. I was next to the kitchen entrance, and the staff raised so much of racket that I could not sleep the night.

I would suggest – pick room on the 1st floor and if the ground, closer to the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 19, 2007

I find it surprising that Lonely Planet has listed Hotel Aroma in Chandigarh, India as a good place to stay. My experience there was terrible. We pre-booked via the internet for two days. Changes to our travel plans meant that we wanted to stay a third day. When we called they had no record of our prebooking. After several calls back and lengthy waits on hold we thought we were sorted. When we got there, they now had a record of our pre-booking, but not of our reservation for the additional night. They then took my passport for registration and did not return it in a timely manner. Our rooms were opposite the 24-hour dining room (all rooms in this hotel back out onto the dining room) and next to their very loud kitchen. When we checked out, they had again lost the record of our pre-booking and wanted us to pay for the two nights we had already paid for. In summary this hotel is badly designed and badly run. There are cheaper hotels in Chandigarh that are much better.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank ajs2000_7
Reviewed April 11, 2007

My one problem with Hotel Aroma was is getting them to reply to my emails. Once I was there I felt well taken care of. I am a single woman travelling alone, and felt perfectly safe. Not all the staff speak English, but they always found someone who did to answer my questions.

The decor in my interior room was warm and friendly, the hardwood floor a very welcome change to the usual cold tiled floors I found everywhere else in India. The room was comfortable and clean. The food in the restaurant was tasty and inexpensive. There were shops just around the corner selling most things you might need. A bus to/
from Amritsar left directly from the hotel twice a day. I paid 1800 rupees/night including breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank travgran