Shivalik View
$47
$40
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscomplimentary breakfast and dinnervalue for moneyroom packagewalking distanceswimming poolrooftop restaurantrooms are hugerose gardengovernment run hotelmap planhotel is locatedbus standexcellent locationreception areatop floornice hotelquality of food
Reviewed June 3, 2008

I visited this hotel with my family in the month of October, and we just simple fall in love with this. The welcome was overwhelming.
The reception desk was very helpful. The check in process was very easy.

The room was very spacious. Proper cooling. Bathroom emenities were more than enough.

We had their two meals - Dinner and Breakfast. Both were fantastic.

All the staffs were very helpful & courteous.
In a single word: This hotel was beyond our expectations.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2008

My wife and I travel a great deal. If we choose to 'rough it' and stay
in a down level hotel, thats fine. But to be charged $200+ USD a night for such a poor room is unacceptable.

The important points:

1) Our room included a free dinner. This was a buffet off from the lobby of the hotel. I got food poisoning, and was up all night extremely ill in the bathroom. I was so sick that it took a round of antibiotics to get me back to health.

2) The room was filthy. Tattered, dirty carpet. A bathroom that looked like it had barely been wiped down with a rag. Just repulsive.

3) After being told we would have an internet connection, there was no cable in the room to connect to the port in the wall. No problem, right? Well, it is a big problem if the staff are not interested in helping. After a half and hour of arguing with the staff, one woman finally took on our cause, and forced
the other staff members to find a cable. It only took them 2 minutes.There really was no shortage of cables, they simply did not want to be bothered with our problem.

Run, run, run away. This is NOT a good hotel. If this is your only option, save yourself the headache, and stay in a cheap hotel. It may not be nice either, but at least you will have save yourself the humiliation of paying $200 to have an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank Harddrive
Reviewed December 12, 2007

A friend booked me into this "hotel" and after one night i was trying to get out! but unfortunately all other hotels were booked in the city! so I was stuck. As a female traveller I felt unsafe and the place needed a good clean.
Problems included cockroaches in my room, tv remote not working, loud air conditioners outside, pitiful breakfast, no wonder dinner was complimentary! they should really pay u to eat there! really eerie atmosphere about the place too. sheets were not very clean, grey towels, having to keep finger on shower button for it to work and bed was too hard.
When it came to checking out, they said there was a problem with my visa card after checking it twice. I phoned my bank who said there was no probs, but again they insisted it was my fault, it turns out the machine was not working! so they got another one and it worked thankfully, but they still had the cheek to charge me for the international call I had to make for their problem. they had no paper to make photocopies for me, and when I suggested supplying the paper for them, they said it would still be the same cost, albeit small, I still think on principle they should have reduced it. on the positive side, the wee bar man on the 6th floor was lovely and the french fries were nice.
Wouldnt stay here again even if its not expensive, it doesnt represent value for money and ive stayed in better youth hostels.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Weecathy
Reviewed April 8, 2007

We stayed at the Shivalik View hotel for 2 nights. We had a deluxe room that was located on the top floor. The hotel was neat and comfortable. The room was a little dated and not very luxurious or stylish but clean. We paid Rs 3,600 (ZAR600/US$83) per night including buffet breakfast and dinner. The buffet dinners where great
but the breakfast needed some attention. Internet access (WiFi) was very reasonable at Rs 300 for 24 hours unlimited access. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially the travel desk staff. Location is convenient.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank M&L_ZA
Reviewed February 17, 2007

We stayed here for one night so theis review is based on that and may be biased. The hotel itself wasnt too bad being a 3-star. Located in Sector 17 and within a 5 minute walk of the main shops makes it perfect for the shopper!!

The rooms are big and comfortable with all facilities. The porters etc were friendly and helpful.

However, on the night we stayed, there was a wedding taking place at the hotel and that spoilt the whole stay. At 4am, a music band played loud music outside the hotel for almost half hour which annoyed all the guests who were trying to sleep. We had to call reception to complain. On checking out, we were told that this was a rare thing but other than that they werent very apologetic. Its amazin how they were happy to allow the loud music carry on rather than deal wit the complaints from paying guests!!

Stayed: February 2007