“A new experience in Chandigarh” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Mountview

Hotel Mountview
Ranked #20 of 98 Hotels in Chandigarh
Berlin
“A new experience in Chandigarh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

While on a business trip in India I spent 2 weeks in Hotel Mountview. As mentioned in the hotel description it is located in a very nice green and quiet area. But that's all about quietness. The rooms are clairaudient and it is no great effort to listen to discussions in the adjacent rooms. Much worse is the coffee shop where you have breakfast. There were two TV sets in operation, each one running a different program at a quite high volume. Additionally to enjoy the valued guest they lavished you with background music.

The rooms are in fair condition if you are willing to ignore a damaged toilet cover and dark spotted splices in the bathroom. At least there weren't any bugs.

Room service is fair. Service in the coffee shop depends very much on the staff which is present. I met 3 or 4 waiters who delivered a real professional service. The remaing staff is either attracted by the TV program or is overeager and clears away the items you just collected from breakfast buffet while you return to the buffet to get a coffee.

From my point of view the items on the breakfast buffet are not presented in an attractive manner . Taste of indian and continental dishes is below average. Much better is the Rustles restaurant where you get a very good service and tasty food as well.

I had also good experiences with all staff related to bell desk. Laundry service is also good because it was quick and efficient at reasonable prices.

Another bad experience is internet access in Hotel Mountview. You have to buy an internet voucher. The longest period it is valid is 24 hours, starting from your first login. They charge 450Rs for that, which can turn out to be very costly if you need constant internet access for a longer time.

Conclusion: From my point of view only the room rate and the service at Rustles restaurant are at 5 star level. The rest is just avarage. Altough there was no real big issue I will not stay in Mountview again if I should come back to Chandigarh.

• Liked — The close distance to the office
  • Disliked — The noisy environment in the coffee shop
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BobcatBerlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2008

I stayed at the Mountview for a couple of weeks on business at the end of April.

It was my first trip to India and my overall experience can be best summed up by the phrase 'culture shock'.

I was taken aback at the general squalour throughout the country. The driving standards leave the Italians looking like saints and no building project ever seems to be completed. Walking around the pavements is an obstacle course with piles of rubble, lifted-and-not replaced paving slabs and the birdsnest wiring throughout beggars belief! Being white skinned also caused me to be pestered by beggars, hawkers and touts. Although I am sympathetic to many of the beggars, I was extremely irritated by the intrusive pestering and I see it as being racist.

Against all this, the hotel itself is set in tranquil gardens which are very pleasant. There is a fitness centre in a separate building at the rear of the hotel with a small swimming pool which is open to the public at certain times of day but if you look in detail at the hotel, you will find some areas of grottiness. For example, none of the lights under the entrance portico seemed to have been cleaned out. The public areas were generally okay though.

Across the road from the hotel is a row of shops, very Indian but able to supply mostly anything you will need. The pharmacist was very helpful and sadly, was soon needed. There are also some food shops, some ATMs (although there is one in the hotel foyer itself), a couple of cafes, an internet cafe, some food shops and a liquour store.

Initially, I was in the newer wing of the hotel. The rooms were modern, spacious and well equipped but my room was near the conference centre where there were various evening 'do's taking place. It was so noisy at night that I asked to be moved to the other wing, which is an older part of the building.

My second room overlooked the rear garden and had a small balcony. It was generally too hot outside to enjoy the balcony. After a day or so, I became aware of several cockroaches which scuttled around on the bathroom and bedroom floor at night. Not nice. Otherwise, the room was okay although a little shabby. I gave the cockroaches names - that is the ones I could not catch and squash.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant and the standard of food was pretty poor. I used water from the hot water urn to make my tea. It was not boiling and I strongly suspect that it was this which brought on a severe dose of 'Delhi belly'. I was laid up badly for three days. The pharmacist across the road came to the rescue with some pretty effective antibiotic tablets. Also in the parade of shops were some clean looking cafes. I ate there after this episode and had no further problems whilst in Chandigarh although I did have some more problems later on in India.

Evening meals in the hotel were lack lustre, as was the bar. All were expensive, even by European standards but the standard of waiter service was good. There are a few good restaurants around the town but service was terrible in the Picadilly bar in the shopping centre in sector 17.

Chandigarh itself probably best described as India's answer to Milton Keynes. - If you're British you will understand what I mean. It is a purpose built modern city but feels entirely artificial and seem to lack any feeling of community. It is laid out in approx 1km by 1 mile geometric blocks which are numbered as sectors. You feel like you are a pawn on a board game.

I would not recommend Chandigarh as a tourist destination for anything more than around 24 hours. The Mountview is the best hotel in town. Doesn't say much for the rest! If you stay there, ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel and eat at the cafe across the road.

Hope this is helpful.

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Disliked — the cockroaches
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Gastropod

Travelers are raving about these Chandigarh hotels

liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Mountview in 2005 and had a wonderful stay there. So when I had to return to Chandigarh I immediately booked a room with them again. I have to say my email correspondence with them was excellent and the staff were extremely helpful.
However it all started to go a little downhill when we got to Chandigarh train station. We had booked a pick up with Avtar Travels Mountview's in-house travel company and they didn't turn up, so we had to make our own way to the hotel. On arrival the person checking us in was very short with us and never checked my reservation (it appears they only booked us in for one night and were surprised when we stayed for three, this meant we had to renew our key card everyday as it kept expiring). We were put into room 206 which unfortunately was in the old block, while the room was big, it had seen better days, the room looked as if it needed repainting following the monsoon rains and it just had a general institutional feel to it. The rooms were not cleaned properly while we where there, and this was borne out when we found several cockroaches.
The food was ok, but nothing special.
All in all a very average stay.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank emmalm
Arusha, Tanzania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

A pleasant hotel with normal rooms. Stayed there 3 years ago and the place was showing its age, especially the rooms. They are expensive and therefore I would not say this hotel is a good value for the money.

The restaurants were deserted at night and for good reason the food is terrible. We tried the chinese and there was nothing chinese about the food, it was a VERY bad mixture of Indo-Sino garbage that tasted like ... well .... garbage!

Best to head out to one of the fashionable sectors of the city and enjoy a meal at one of the posh restaurants.

Unfortunately apart from the Taj this is the only other decent hotel in Chandigarh. So there are not that many choices. Its OK if you need a room that meets western standards for a night or two.

• Stayed March 2007
1 Thank SafariBwana42
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2007

The Hotel Mountview was my second hotel experience on our recent trip to India. It was a huge improvement on the Hotel Metro in Delhi.
Big rooms, very clean and tidy. Excellent service from the staff. The hotel is also very quiet which is not surprising given that Chandigarh is not really that busy anyway.
The breakfasts at the coffee shop was good with a good variety of food available. There is a restuarant in the hotel but the prices are bit high.

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank Pooben&Shailou
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2006

After staying in quite simple lodgings this was a welcome touch of luxury. Rooms were large, quiet, with nice decor and were very clean. The coffee shop and restaurant served excellent food and there were good business services and a nice bar.
I would definitely recommend, but if you can hang onto your laundry I would as I found it to be very expensive compared to other places I stayed.

9 Thank emmalm