“Try the tasting menu”

Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Try the tasting menu”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We visited the Saffron restaurant on a Friday night. The place was fully with both tourist and locals alike, with a very buzzy atmosphere. The restaurant was recommended to us by one of our Indian friends which is always a good sign, and reinforced by the number of locals eating there.
The staff were very helpful in explaining the menu and the dishes, and served us a selection of Indian breads and dips while we were making up our minds on what to order. In the end we all decided to go for the Saffron tasting menu (there's a veggie option and a meat one) at a price of 2500IR, which is high by Indian standards but very reasonable by UK.
You get 4 starters, 4 main courses, and a dessert all included in the price. Having ordered we weren't quite sure what we were going to get as we didn't recognise the names of the dishes on the menu. All we knew was that it would be meat, prawn, chicken or vegetable, and not to expect it to be anything like we get in the UK.
Each course was so elegantly presented and tasted delicious. What I didn't expect was that after we'd finished eating the four starters that we would be asked if we wanted more of any dish we'd tasted, and because they were so delicious I could resist having 3 of them again....a BIG mistake! As a result I could only manage to eat 2 of the main courses and never got to taste the other 2 dishes. Not surprisingly, no matter how full I am, and like so many other people I still managed to eat dessert.
I would definitely go again, if only to try the other dishes I missed out on. Morale of the story is - eat all 8 courses first before you opt for seconds!

• Visited March 2013

Chandigarh, Chandigarh, India
“Bad food, worse service”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This place puts the H in horrible. Except the ambience (which u can't eat) everything is mediocre. The food is pathetic, the service is so bad that u wd feel like canceling the order and leaving. I threw a dinner here for about 25 people and of course I negotiated a per plate amount but they tried to cheat me by adding 8000 bucks for mineral water in the bill. It was outrageous behavior so please choose another restaurant and don't risk spoiling ur evening here. The only saving grace is a dessert called paan kulfi which was quite delicious but not good enough to make me ever go back here.

• Visited June 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Terrible Service and Tasteless Food”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I dined at Saffron (JW Marriott) on 03 Aug 2012.
The food was Worse than a roadside restaurant. The service was pathetic, yet there were 10 people running around serving no more than 4 tables that were occupied.

My friends and family suffered acidity and stomach pains all night.

Never go to Saffron. I bet it will close down within 12 months.

Jerry

• Visited August 2012
New Zealand
“Disappointing Food”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We ate a family dinner with Parents. On a table of six, one plate of papads was given to which i objected. My daughter wanted Jasmine Ice tea - which was not available.
SUBZ - mix veg dish was not cooked , raw vegetables in little masala, dal was served cold. Bari ki boti was the only tolerable dish. All breads - Naan , Roti, Paratha were poorly baked. Chicken Methi was very bland and barely edible. Raitas were ok - but thats not a great credit to the chef............they also use very poor crockery - looks very cheaply sourced.
The ambience and service is ok, the restuarant needs a good chef to make the difference required.
I wont go there again unless they confirm having changed the chef.

• Visited July 2012
Mohali, India
“tasty food and wonderful ambiance”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

we had a wonderful experience at the saffron. they do set meals which was really good. the set meals are veg / non-veg / veg kebab / non-veg kebab meals. In all the set meals the food is unlimited. u can repeat the starters/main course and dessert at any time during the meal. the dessert especially the paan falooda was wonderful with rose petals. This particular dessert was repeated many times :p. The dinner was summed up with meethi supari / meetha paan / meethe saunf etc. The ambiance was great and a traditional punjabi folk look has been portrayed.

• Visited May 2012