“Shady, stinky and shabby to say the least”

Hotel Diamond Plaza
Ranked #58 of 100 Hotels in Chandigarh
New Delhi, India
“Shady, stinky and shabby to say the least”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

This was supposed to be the over-night halt between our drive from Manali to Delhi.

After having spent the last two days at "Crescent River Side Resort - Manali, (Refer to my report of the same), we were hoping to have a equally restful and pleasant stay here as our agent had booked us a "three bedded suite" at this place. Little did we know of the multiple shocks we were in for.

The hotel, if it can be called so, was located in a very shady part of the Sector 22-C, flanked by a couple of car workshops and spare parts dealers. As we reached around 7.30 pm, these shops were already closed, leaving the area / access in more or less complete darkness. A couple of drunks and loiterers pointed out to a staircase leading upwards towards the first floor of the block. There was no signage to guide us (we later found that a faded neon board was indeed perched atop the building, but only one of its dozen odd tubelights actually worked) and the atmosphere seemed so dark that I thought it better to leave my family in the safe confines of the car and check out the property on my own.

The reception desk was manned by a waiter in a stained and grubby uniform who could not manage a word of english or figure out that I had made a booking almost 45 days in advance. He turned the register around, professing his faith in the old proverb "self help is the best help", and I could see my name there, one of the only two there for the day. His hail drew another chappie (in a eqally grubby uniform) who led me up another floor to what was supposed to be my "de-luxe suite", the best in their hotel.

A dimly lit pathway and a open stainless steel washbasin across the hallway may define as "de-luxe" for some but was not really my cup of tea. The "suite" consisted of a single medium sized room : heavily brocaded curtains covering one wall (which opened onto a tiny balcony facing another of the residential flats across the street), two double beds (covered with soiled and stained bedsheets of two different shades of yellow), two side-tables (one of them topped with bare ply-board and marks of numerous plates and glasses clearly marked on it) and a sofa set which seemed new enough (with its glass topped table stained with bottle rings). The room was dark, un-ventilated, stuffy and stank of alcohol.

I double timed it back to the so-called reception area and asked for the manager. A young man in shorts and t-shirt showed up : no he did not have a better room to offer - this was his best, and what did I mean by saying that this was a room and not a suite ? He angrily banged his hotel's catalogue down in front of me. "See, there. That is a picture of the room you just saw and there it says "suite" right below it. I am not misleading you. This is what we say and this is what you get'. He was right for one thing : the picture certainly matched the room, right down to the curtains and the sofa, obviously not changed since the day the pictures were taken. The message was clear : take it or leave it.

So I left, saying goodbye to the deposit money paid, and thankful that I had saved my family from spending the night at a place which was probably accustomed to renting rooms by the hour rather than by the day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Skanda-Delhi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pune
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Our stay at Hotel Diamond plaza was really not worth money we spent. First of all, we felt cheated when bill was presented to us at check out because they had added some luxury tax, development tax, service tax & what not to increase the bill to 50% more of what we bargained at check in time.
Rooms were good & clean but house keeping was not upto the mark. There are plenty of other options to stay with cheaper rate near central area.
All in all, better avoid staying here.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank SNGY

Travelers are raving about these Chandigarh hotels

delhi
Reviewed May 14, 2010

This is one Indian hotel where I'd really like to see the uniquitous twig broom retired and replaced by a vacuum cleaner. The room was really grubby except for the central walking areas covered by the twig broom.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank vikasii
kolkata
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I was there on Nov 2009 while backing from shimla Manali Travel....& It's a Beauty Hotel in Chandigarh is located in Sector-22-C, in the heart of the Chandigarh. Due to its central location it falls near major landmarks and key attractions of city beautiful, as well as near NH22 and NH21, making it an ideal place to stay. The attentive staff Diamond Plaza Hotel Chandigarh is always available at your service to take care of all your needs.they provide amenities and facilities with a high Value that you may feel like heaven.It's a nice city we all know & one must stay there while visiting chandigarh.that's it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Kanchipuram
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I am a kanchipuram based merchant. Recently i went to Chandigarh to finalize a deal from a cotton producing company. I stayed in Hotel Diamond Plaza. The staffs were very co-operative with me. \I am from Tamil Nadu so not good in hindi speaking. The staffs there understood my problem and they kept a guide with me whenever i went outside. he acted as a translater for me. I was amazed as they did not charged any thing extra from me for this service and told the guy to stay with me always. They really made my trip to be a successful one.
Though Chandigarh is a big place, they provided me with all sort of convenience to make my trip a success. The food they provided was awesome and they provided me with south indian food which was the best part of their service. I really appreciate their co-operation with me.

• Liked — Co-operation
  • Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
jaipur
Reviewed January 16, 2010

very decent budget hotel..we have pleasant stay for 1 night in the way of shimla.neat and clean rooms,room service is excellent..rooms are featured with WIFI,AC,LCD and hot and cold water in bathroom

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
toronto
Reviewed December 12, 2009

rooms and suites are spacious,Wi-Fi, A/C, Colour-TV, Telephone, 24 hours running hot and cold water, Comfortable beds ,spacious cupboards, room also include Refrigerator, Tea-coffee maker, Sofa, Chairs. An ample parking space is available.Railway Station and Bus-stand pickup was there, laundry services,Doctor on Call is available in case of emergencies

• Stayed November 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)