“..And we thought we were visiting 'the Taj'!”
Review of Taj Deccan

Taj Deccan
Ranked #22 of 316 Hotels in Hyderabad
United Arab Emirates
“..And we thought we were visiting 'the Taj'!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We visited Taj Deccan for a dinner, and I must say this was the most substandard dinner I ever had in an acclaimed 5 star hotel. They had a buffet at around Rs.1300/person which had a decent spread lacking taste that you could savor to realize the taste of Taj. I am aware of 3-4 star hotels and even restaurants in Hyderabad that offer authentic indian/continental food that exceeds the taste as well as variety, way ahead than what Taj Deccan had to offer!

AMBIANCE is for sure the Taj style, no doubt very good!

SERVICE as expected, since was offered through well educated staff, no questions of indecency!

Food: Management truly needs to understand that, you never visit a restaurant just for ambiance and service. Food is what I was looking for and it really disappointed me. You name a dish , they had it all, but they surely lacked taste. I do not want to go in depth of describing about this but all in all a bad experience..not worth the Taj mark!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Prince_Parasher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bugibba, Malta
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have just returned from a trip in India and The Taj Deccan was one of my hotels in which I stayed for five nights. A hotel I will never forget. The Taj first and foremost offers great security and safety to all its clients. The services offered are great in all respects and the location is very pleasant with malls in the vicinity some of which even in short walking distance. I was even welcomed with a complimentary gift of a beautiful pearl in a nice red rose box. How very original.
Every evening I dined at the Spice Junxion where they serve all Indian cuisine. Here the service and the staff were outstanding. The staff gave me the utmost attention and helped me out with the menu and supplying me with information about the Indian cuisine while letting me taste all the mouthwatering dips and spices prepared by The Taj Chef. The food here was superb, delicious, and exquisite. The same goes for the Arena restaurant where I had my breakfast every morning with lovely dishes of all types with loads of differents fresh fruit, nuts and so many different dishes to choose from complimented by the dedicated asssistance of the staff.
I would personally like to thank the diligent and excellent staff of both the Spice Junction and the Arena for making me feel so comfortable and so well looked after. At the Taj these members of staff made me feel at home and they were like a second family for me. They always welcomed me and even kept me company. The Chef even prepared certain food which I used to mention to the staff members at the Spice Junxion and which I never expected to find there waiting for me the next day.
The room was always so clean and tidy with a towel decoration of swans on my bed and flower petals on the bedside tables so wonderful and romantic
Thanks Taj I will never forget my stay with you. I hightly recommend this hotel to all those visiting Hyderabad for whatever the reason. I felt like a Queen and not a solo traveller thanks to all the staff at the Taj Deccan I will never forget this place

Room Tip: When selecting it is best to state wherther you want a smoking or non smoking room although the staf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank evelyn_camilleri
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

There are 4 Taj hotels in Hyderabad, not sure about the others, but this one is very average. The hotel and its decor feels tired, the artwork is ill advised, and the food is nothing to write home about. Of course the staff have been schooled to be attentive, and that's a good thing, but good service can't disguise the fact that the Deccan is not up really up to Taj standards.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chantman
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was pretty surprised with the comparatively cheaper room rates for Taj Deccan. But at the same time I was not convinced with the quality of the rooms I stayed. The televisions were old modeled one, which hardly find in living rooms. Very surprised that this was a Taj Hotel. I think the rooms certainly need a renovation if they claim to be a five star. The food was ok and staff was very courteous..But certainly this property needs improvement. I shall say its somewhere between a three and four star.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nishant_11
Indore, India
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed there for first time . Food was below standard. Hospitality at reception was not up to the mark. Of course it was not the same TAJ as they are known for.Hope they will improve.I had some more not so good experiences that I would like to share but some other time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank prabdube
Reviewed September 24, 2012

There are two 5*TAJ hotels facing one another on opposite sides of the road. I stayed in the Deccan, but visited the other one (Taj Krishna) which has nicer grounds and more modern buildings. The service at both hotels was impeccable. There are dozens of staff simply looking for ways to be helpful. Any request is greeted by a smile. The food in the main atrium coffee shop is superb if you are a curry lover. The two 'speciality' restaurants are less impressive and more expensive. Rooms are large and well cleaned by the room-boys. Room service is very good.The hotel's chauffeur car service is good and cheap (except to the airport). The fabric of the building is fraying a bit round the edges: it all needs a good facelift and modernisation. There were two short power-outs while I was there. On the other hand the wifi internet access was the best of any hotel I have visited.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in September 12. Overall Good experience. Courteous team. Comfortable and good sized room.

Good buffet breakfast spread - and a delightful experience of southern cuisine at the Spice Junxion.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business