“Good Andhra takeaway”

Cuisines: Asian
Hyderabad, India
“Good Andhra takeaway”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My son was visiting Hyderabad after a few months and he had requested us to keep some Andhra food ready at home from a takeaway, so that he can start his food journey as soon as he reaches home from the airport. After an animated debate between me and my wife, she chose Sri Kanya over Kakatiya Deluxe Mess.

The Takeaway was crowded as ever at 6:30pm. I was planning to buy a lot of Quail Fry, but the person at the counter informed me that only 2 birds were left. I promptly placed an order for them along with Chicken Fry Biryani, Boneless Mutton Fry and Chicken Roast. A plate of each resulted in a bill of Rs 720.

We started with the Chicken Fry Biryani. I am an old fan of Sri Kanya and trying their delicacies for more than a decade. The Chicken Fry Pulao was good as usual, with the chicken fry pieces at the bottom covered by the clove and cardamom flavored bagara rice. However it seemed to me that a lot of excess chili powder was sprinkled on the chicken pieces at the end, without properly mixing the same, which dampened the taste a bit.

The Quail Fry, my all time favorite here was a clear winner. The quail was soft and crunchy and the masala covering the fried bird tasted great too.

I was disappointed by the quantity of boneless mutton fry. For Rs 200 only a handful pieces of boneless mutton were served. The masala had too much of curry leaves, which I found a bit surprising.

The chicken roast was really fabulous. The chicken was well cooked and the masala was a perfect complement to the succulent chicken pieces. This was perhaps the best item of the day.

Sri Kanya remains good. The prices have gone up a bit, the quantity of some dishes have decreased, but the demand is intact. Always be there early to avoid disappointment, as their items finish up quite early. Do not go there if you don’t like hot and spicy food.

• Visited November 2013

Hyderabad, India
“Take home lunch”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

This is the place when we are in punjagutta OFFCIE in week times at least 2 times we use to eat this food .
Home away from home very good food.
Variety of curries Daily and good quaintly too.

Visited November 2012
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Very nice, spicy, Andhra take away”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Sri Kanya is not a restaurant, it's a take away food shop with very good, spicy, Andhra food.
They have a delivery van getting food from their kitchen twice a day, once around noon, and then again at about 6 in the evening. Within minutes of the food being delivered, a crowd gathers, pushing, struggling to get what they want before it gets sold out.
They have Chicken Joint Fry (Chicken legs, cut at the joint, dry cooked with delicious spicy Andhra spices), Quails (also in similar spices), mutton Kheema (mince), mutton fry, Mutton Gongura Curry, fried fish, fish curry, crabs, and a lot more. The biriyani is not so great.
Every time I visit Hyderabad, the day I'm leaving, on the way to the airport, I stop at Panjagutta and pack some delicious food to take home. My favourite is the Joint fry, the Quail, the Mutton fry and the Mutton Gongura Curry.
The shop is small, about 8 feet by 12 feet but business is brisk, you get in, get your food and out you go.
There are two ways to get there, from the Panjagutta junction, turn towards Model house (anyone nearby will tell you where Model house is) and it is on your right at the entrance to an up going lane, or if on Banjara Hill, a little downslope from GVK One mall, near Scotia bank, go down the lane, at the end of which is this little treasure, Sri Kanya....

• Visited May 2013