“One of the best tour companies I have ever used”

Detours India Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$45.00*
and up
Charminar Historical Walking Tour
Ranked #2 of 21 Tours in Hyderabad
Reviewed April 13, 2012

A world away from your average Indian tour guide who will point at buildings, list dates and push you into souvenir shops. The guides from Detours want you to experience the real Hyderabad and get a real feel for the city and its people.

I moved to Hyderabad from the UK in 2010 and have used Detours many times, on every single occasion the standard has been excellent. Whenever we have visitors we book a trip with Detours as we know our guests will enjoy it. They will tailor a trip to whatever your interests are; history, shopping, food, culture etc.

It feels like being shown around by an extremely knowledgeable friend, they are happy to answer any questions, not just about Hyderabad but about India in general. On many of the tours you are taken well and truly off the beaten track and get to see what real life is like here, giving you a fascinating window into Indian life that you just don’t get on a standard tour.

The guides are friendly and extremely professional, you always travel in a comfortable, private, air-conditioned car with plenty of ice-cold refreshments.

After living in India for a while now I believe you get what you pay for here - and Detours is worth every single rupee.

4  Thank Rose456
All reviews
"food tour"
in 8 reviews
"chowmahalla palace"
in 8 reviews
"old city"
in 14 reviews
"highly recommend this tour company"
"excellent driver"
"pace"
"heritage"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Having recently completed a full day trip with Detours in Hyderabad, I would like to highly recommend this wonderful experience to Trip Advisor travellers. Jonty is a warm and engaging guide who is passionate about India and Hyderabad and fills your day with information and anectodes about the country and its people while showing you parts of the city that give you a whole new perspective on india, past and present. The tour is relatively expensive by Indian standards but in retrospect, it is impossible to put a price on this invaluable personally tailored experience.

If it is possible for Jonty to arrange a lunch at the home of the gracious Begum Mumtaz, then do not miss this opportunity. The food is outstanding and the hospitality of the family and their warm welcome into their home is an experience to treasure.

As experienced travellers, our group will always rate this day as one of the highlights of our Indian travel adventures and as a tour operator, Jonty can more than hold her own as the best any of us have experienced worldwide.

4  Thank LEGENDCapeTown
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I wanted a knowledgeable guide to the history and crafts of Hyderabad, and Jonty and I count myself highly fortunate to have found her to give me a superb introduction to both. This was my fifth trip to India, but it was the first time that I had engaged a guide who really listened to what I was interested in doing rather than in taking me along a set itinerary, which was often more to the advantage of the guide rather than their client. Her fees may be higher than the average guide, but the service which she offers is far superior. I cannot recommend her highly enough. She is highly professional and extremely good company.

6  Thank Goodtouristfood
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Very well done customized tours of Hyderabad. So glad that I came across this website and was able to spend a day with Jonty on the tour. She spends time to get to know what each person wants to do and is able to customize Hyderabad to those selections. Plan to take several more tours while I'm in town and encourage others to do the same!

5  Thank Heatherbwebb
See more reviews
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This past weekend I was in Hyderbad for a business trip. Taking advantage of an open Sunday I asked a colleague if he could recommend a high quality tour that was not your typical tourist activity. He recommended Detours India and the experience was outstanding. Jonty, my tour guide, took the time to understand me and what I liked and wanted to see. She also challenged me to think broader about what a tour could be. Deoutrs India offers eating tours, tours of catacombs, wedding experiences plus a variety of other unique events along with all of the traditional tour activities.

After listening to my interests, she crafted a private one day tour that included the traditional palaces of Hyderabad along with a behind the scenes tour of the old city and market where she introduced me to vendors and crafts people off the beaten path, and a tour of some historic catacombs that other tour groups don't even know exist. Additionally, I wanted to have lunch and tour the Taj Faluknama palace. When I called, they were booked solid and could not accommodate me. Jonty was able to get me in. Bravo!

Bottom line, this is the type of tour for people wanting to experience the heart of the city taking the time to get to know the people and the hidden treasures that make Hyderabad unique. Jonty and Detours India provide a highly customized, personalized and authentic experience.

8  Thank SurLeNil