“Just like the brochure”

Ranked #29 of 307 Hotels in Hyderabad
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Just like the brochure”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Most hotels in India tend to have superb websites with pictures of immaculate rooms that bear little resemblance to reality. The Mercure Abids, however, gave us a room that was exactly like the illustration on ther website. Large, comfortable and very clean. Four and five star hotels in Hyderabad are very expensive but The Mercure is signicantly cheaper and excellent value.

There is no one area that is ideal to stay in Hyderabad. Abids is central and near enough to most sights, markets and shops.

The food in the hotel was rather spicy for our taste, but Hyderabad food is amongst the spiciest in India. The chef was very helpfull and prepared decent pasta dishes for us.

The best feature of the hotel is the staff. Really good service and very professional.

The only downside for us was the lack of a bar. The bar features on the website but is never open.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jot54
GM-Mercure, General Manager at Royalton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hyderabad Abids. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Pramod Dashora
Mercure Hyderabad Abids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you are non-Indian, you might find that the food selection is extremely limited. Mercure/Accor should indicate very clearly in its website that this hotel only serves vegetarian food, so no eggs for breakfast! Amazing. This is extremely shocking for anyone coming from North America, but even more coming from an international hotel brand. If you do not like Indian food for breakfast, be prepared for canned orange juice, sliced bread, some fruit, bitter coffee, and plain cornflakes. So I could not agree with the comment that the breakfast selection was "awesome". Yes, the hotel staff will tell you that you can order non-vegetarian food in your room only, but they mean you can order from outside the hotel. Unbelievable. Going another notch lower: the hotel does not serve alcohol, either. I have been to hotels in the Islamic countries and I expected them not to serve alcohol. But no alcohol sounds odd for Hyderabad. Also, the maintenance of the facilities is below average. Yes, the hotel is clean, especially after stepping away from the noisy, polluted city of Hyderabad. But service was simply unreliable. The cable TV was working and not working, and working, and not working. The WIFI works and says "limited connectivity" so you have to ask for the broad-band link if you want to connect. The spa in the basement can be reached by using the stairs which exposes to smell from the other parts of the basement. Most uninviting. There are mosquitoes in the lobby since the doors are kept open. This would be no problem anywhere but India has malaria and dengue. In short, I should have read the reviews more carefully. I had to stay 5 days as I had booked in advance, and international hotels tend to be quite expensive in India (now I know why). I stay in many hotels for work during the year (I am based in Canada) so I have learned to expect more from hotels. I feel I have to alert other international travellers. I should have paid attention that most reviews tend to see this hotel as having a higher standard than other Indian hotels. Here I think that you have to take into account people's expectations of service. In this case, I just found this hotel way below my own expectations from this hotel brand.

Room Tip: This is a vegetarian hotel with a smoking floor! So avoid the 2nd floor (smoking) unless you are a s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank dolphinOttawa
GM-Royalton, General Manager at Royalton Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2016

Greeting from Royalton Hotel, Hyderabad.
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Royalton Hyderabad Abids. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights ..read through the previous reviews here on this site before deciding . A good choice in the end. Liked the hotel for its location (close to places of visit - was in hyderabad for a holiday) , cleanliness and good breakfast. Only drawback they serve only vegeterian and that is a little on the higher side. But who needs those if you are a non vegeterian , just did not have space to squeeze a vegeterian meal here given the Biryani choices - Paradise , Bawarchi, Cafe Bahar , Shadab & Rayalseema ruchelu.

Room Tip: Nothing specific
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank varehman

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stay in mecure in aug 12.My stay was good,except for the fact that they did not have non-veg food.
Sleep quality was good.Free wifi for one hour.
Buffet breakfast was awesome.Laundry service was excellent(esp the packing of the returned clean laundry).Their toiletries was really good.
Will come back to this hotel on my next business trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Balachn1982

Bangalore
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for 11 nights and even my family also joined for few days.
Overall experience was very good, very friendly staff, and good variety of vegetarian food.
Very well located; close to prime locations and other stores for shopping
No smoking, No Alcohol, and a decent family hotel.
On the day of return, I checked out in the morning and had to return in the evening and they offered a room for freshen up in the evening before I proceed with my return journey.
Will surely stay in this hotel again!

Room Tip: Select the room 308, it has two side windows and good ventilation
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GM-Royalton, General Manager at Royalton Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2016

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at mercure hyderabad from 29th July to 1st August 2012. the rooms are nice. the ambiance is good. they serve very tasty veg food. being pure vegetarian i found it comfortable to eat in a vegetarian restaurant.

Room Tip: i stayed in suite room. it was good
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Unnikrishnan_RP

chennai
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed for A night at mercure hyderabad in the end of august. Was initially given a smoking room even though i was a non smoker but was immediately changed when requested. Breakfast was average fare, though was sufficient. Feedback given on their website was immediately responded to by the manager, excellent work that...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business