“Fav Chinese place”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Pune, Maharashtra, India
“Fav Chinese place”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is my fav Chinese restaurant. I have been going there for almost 10 years, the place has hardly changed execpt the waiting lines are longer. The food is great. Its chinese with the indian touch. I am really fond of the food and go there as often as I can

Hyderabad, India
“oh God”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I went to meet my friend and he took me to this place. We ordered biriyani as iot was my first visit to HYD, but it was quite disappointing, not worth the price. By brother took tandoori naan and Chicken tikka masala... but they were the same rather worse from wat we say bad. We reached at 9 pm and by that time no mutton dishes were available.

Faridabad, India
“Authentic chinese”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

A friend of mine took us for dinner. He recommended the super soft noodles and the fried chicken and i noticed most of the diners were having these. I took a vegetarian fried rice, which was of excellent taste and the portion was huge. My swedish friend said this was one of the excellent chinese food she had.

1 Thank Raman K
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Nanking - No, Never!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This used to be the best value-for-money Chinese restaurant in the Twin Cities of Hyderabad-Secunderabad. But recently, after a gap of a few years, after returning from my travels abroad, I happened to visit this restaurant twice - once in 2011, and again in 2012 - and my experience has been terrible.

Outwardly, Nanking located in Park Lane, Sec'bad is just the same as ever. Hasn't changed since the 1970s, I think. The waiters are the same. The chairs and tables are the same. (An annexe was added to this restaurant some years ago, and that too hasn't changed.) So what has changed, really? The quality of the food!!!

In the early days we spent about Rs 200 and got our money's worth. That was sufficient as a snack for a family of four. You could eat anything from Nanking and know that it was good. Perhaps they added aginomoto to the dishes to make them tasty (and destroy our health in the process); but we didn't mind, since we ate those Nanking dishes only once in a month or maybe once in two months.

I went to Nanking with a friend, who wanted to give us a treat. We didn't want to burn a hole in his pocket, so we suggested Nanking. Imagine our shock and surprise when it turned out that the good old Nanking taste was MISSING!!! We spent about Rs 700 or so, but it left an empty feeling in our stomach and a bitter taste in our mouth. (Anyway, our friend paid the bill! We were just his guests.)

Deciding to give Nanking a chance, we went again - after a long gap of several months. Again the same bad taste! Did they change the cooks? Has the management changed? Have they forgotten Indo-Chinese cooking? (In the olden days Nanking was the name for the perfect blend of Chinese cooking done to suit the Indian palate. You don't get real Chinese food anywhere in Hyderabad. Indians need spice; they can't live without it.)

We ordered the usual - for starters, the chicken drumsticks. The taste: awful! Then we ordered the Nanking special mixed noodles; that too was a big Disappointment. We tried the chicked fried rice; what a Failure! We tried Chilly Chicken; it chilled our bones, or rather, our palate. I never tasted such awful stuff. I don't want to mention the Schezwan chicken; perhaps, the only thing good about it was its colour.

Nanking has fallen on miserable days. The middle-class customer has to seek his Chinese gastronomic pleasures elsewhere. I really wonder, however, how the place still continues to gather customers. Of course, the citizen of Hyderabad today is not a connoisseur of good food; you have to leave taste and elegance to the cultured Hyderabadi - the Muslim, Anglo-Indian, Parsi mix found in Secunderabad Club. But that breed has long since gone. And good old Nanking is finished. At least for me.

I am not going to step into that restaurant again. Goodbye, Parkland. Goodbye, Nanking. Forever.

• Visited April 2012
4 Thank Mahanama
Bangalore, India
“Best chinese food in town!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Have been eating here for 40+ years and the quality is just as good. The crispy chicken, hot and sour soup, soya fish are my favourites. However, all their dishes are really very good. The prices have gone up with inflation, but their quantities per dish have remained generous. A must visit every time I visit this city.

• Visited September 2012