“Really Fantastic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 302 Hotels in Hyderabad
Tirupur, India
“Really Fantastic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

The welcome was wonderful, the rooms are good.he service is amazing and you will be treated like a king !!! Overall it was a superb experience and it is definitely a must visit place for everyone. Though it is on an expensive side. I RECOMMEND IT !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Brilliant Service and Hospitality,

The best thing I liked is that Food here dint make me feel so heavy.

The service is amazing and you will be treated like a king !!!

I RECOMMEND IT !

Room Tip: Really good Experience
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I'm here currently. The welcome was wonderful, the rooms are good, feel like home. Everyone is pleasant but for the price and the promised experience that extra something is lacking.

Staying here to be a part of history is the best part.

Due to flight delays I reached here a day later than I had booked for and was reminded that I would be losing that one day multiple times. I got it and said okay the first time I was told. I asked for a razor and was told that I would be charged extra for that. I said okay please get me one and let me know how much. I did not receive it.

The restaurant, breakfast is good. For dinner I went at 530 and was told that it opens at 730 but to come back for the qawwali show at 630 before dinner. I did. After that I asked for a table for 1- they said I'd have to wait till 930. There were multiple empty tables but no dice. I waited almost an hour- none of those tables filled. I still had an hour wait left and said I can't wait anymore. To wait for two hours for one person when there are multiple empty tables is just ridiculous.

Also, earlier I ordered a cocktail with grey goose and muddled strawberries, got it then ordered grey goose soda and and they told me they didn't have grey goose. Not sure which vodka they muddled with my strawberries but definitely wasn't grey goose.

Great to look at and spend a night at but wouldn't count much on the service.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
London England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Apart from a rather quaint and pretty unnecessary horse drawn carriage ride to the front door, this hotel oozes style. The building is spectacular, beautifully restored and offers a very interesting and extremely comfortable experience of Edwardian grandeur. The staff are simply first class, the rooms are wonderful , food is varied and the outdoor areas including the pool are fantastic. It is worth visiting Hyderabad for this hotel alone, and it seems many people do just that.

Of course, all this comes at a hefty price, but on balance, it is so good that it is probably worth it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uplifter
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We recently stayed at the Taj Falaknuma and it proved to be one of our worst hotel experiences in thirty years of traveling. About six weeks before our stay we received an e mail from the hotel asking us if we knew they were full and suggested that we could spend the first night of our three day stay at the Taj Krishna, thereby getting to experience another 5 star hotel in the city. We had made our reservation though the Taj 10 months before and had no reason to check to see if the hotel was full. After a long harassing e mail trail we agreed to stay at the Taj Krishna since we believed that if a hotel really doesn't want you to stay, what is the point. When we arrived in Hyderabad airport we were met by a car which took us to the Falaknuma. While we were flying to Hyderabad they sent us an e mail saying, weren't we lucky, they had a cancellation and we could have the room we originally booked. We received no other apology until the 2nd day of our stay when the manager spoke with us as we were leaving the hotel to go sightseeing. He offered us a dinner to compensate for how we were treated. We agreed that we would eat a 8:30 PM and he promised to make a reservation. From that point onward we decided to forget our initial reaction to how we were treated and enjoy the hotel. During the afternoon while I was at the spa my husband received a visit from the manager to make sure we were happy and confirm our dinner. At the appointed time we went to the hotels Indian restaurant. When we arrived the woman on the door asked for our room number and told us there were two seatings for dinner, one at 7:30 and the other at 9 and we should go back to our room and return at 9 PM. Her instructions were given to us like we were naughty demanding children. My husband requested speak with the hotel manager who had told him to his face that our reservation at the restaurant would not be a problem. We did receive a table but the whole experience was part of the way felt at this property, like unwanted intruders. We also learned that the meeting being held at the hotel was for travel agents so we felt surprised that we with a long standing confirmed reservation were being bumped for potential business. Additionally we did not receive an e mail from the hotel asking for our opinion about our stay which we did get from both the Nadasar Palace and the Umaid Bhawan both Taj properties almost as soon as we walked out the door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
10 Thank bsboard
, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Greetings from Hyderabad.

Thank you for your detailed feedback post your recent stay at the Taj Falaknuma Palace.

Thank you also for highlighting your concerns with regards to the handing of your room and restaurant reservation. At the onset we would like to once again offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. I do however hope that you would appreciate that we had kept a continuous follow-up on the booking situation. Infact as you mentioned despite your acceptance for relocation to another city hotel, we knew of your displeasure and hence, even though it was last minute, we were keen to get you back to the Palace for the entire stay and hence we sent a car to meet you at the airport, and bring you to the Palace directly. I was also informed about the dinner reservation on your last evening, which was badly mis-handled. I would like to assure you that the Palace Services Manager had made the reservation as confirmed, however due to an oversight the concerned associate did not check it. We are deeply apologetic for the trouble and distress this caused to you. As you know once we realized our mistake, our Food and Beverage manager reached out to you, and arranged the table immediately. I do hope that the rest of your Palace experience including at the restaurants experience on the rest of your three days stay was satisfactory. I am also pleased to note that our Palace Service Manager kept in touch with you, and followed up on your stay to ensure that you were comfortable.

I do hope that you would accept our apologies for the lapses, and I would like to assure you that both these concerns have been seriously looked into and we are ensuring that our processes are strengthened to ensure that such a situation does not re-occur.

We do hope that you would give us another opportunity to welcome you back, and I would like to assure you that you that the team and I will ensure that you have the most memorable experience. Please do write to me at girish.sehgal@tajhotels.com if there is anything else that you would like to share with us, and I do hope that we get an opportunity to personally welcome you back to “The Mirror of the Sky” and truly experience the famed Nizam’s hospitality.

Warm regards,

Girish Sehgal
Taj Falaknuma Palace
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Magical arrival although felt a bit self conscious but at least is is away from any sightseers if you arrive when visitors to hotel aren't around. Had a palace room which was fine. The rather debilitating factor is that the net curtains block any view of garden but can be inched back a bit to alleviate the purdah like existence. The colonnade walkway past the rooms is a thoroughfare for all and sundry. Staff could walk in the garden itself and therefore not be at bedroom height whilst walking by. A table and chair outside on walkway with same hitch as you have to exchange greeting with all as they walk past. Pool area nice and quiet, not heated. Pool lunch service fairly slow and very new staff who hadn't a clue but willing enough. 5pm palace tour is worth doing. Had dinner two night, one night in the Euro style restaurant where the main course was a congealed risotto. Chef out of kitchen to apologise and item removed from bill. Inedible amuse bouche of a rock solid slice of poached pear and cream cheese. Night 2, I go native and had the most inedible Biryani in the 14 days that I was in India. Very uncomfortable night and 24 hours with upset stomach. Neither restaurant has any wine worth trying, just the local Indian wine at exorbitant prices. Had a discussion with the writer about why they had no selection and he relayed a story about very high tax on imported alcohol which I knew from when I visited India some 8 years beforehand. I hardly think that they should concern themselves as nothing in this establishment comes cheap. At the least for customers and to alleviate poor selection and to appeal to westerners, offer a selection of New World wine at close to cost price. Fine dining as is their aim is not achievable when you are served local plonk or a ridiculous cocktail. Rip off Wi Fi charges. Sadly, this hotel has no direct competition as other hotels are downtown and just modern chain establishments. The Falaknuma was the raison d'être of my trip and hopefully the highlight. It isn't a patch on any of the heritage palace hotels or the Oberoi Udaipur that I enjoyed in Rajasthan so beware.

Room Tip: Try and see if there are any that you can look out of a window though I suspect that these would be...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
milan italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

The public reception rooms are jaw dropping with original furniture. The hotel rooms were ok around the courtyard, one could be anywhere else as it felt a bit disconnected . The pool was a bit disappointing. The Indian restaurant very good, the Italian average. Breakfast can be improved. But one must visit the palace, the jade room,the Durbar hall ,the 110 seater dining room , the staircase , perhaps the best English palace architecture outside the UK.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple