“Wow”

Taj Falaknuma Palace
Ranked #2 of 317 Hotels in Hyderabad
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our only gripe - and it is the smallest of things - was that the pool was quite cold; but I suppose that pool temperature is fairly subjective and others may think our cold is 'refreshing'.

Anyway, from arrival to departure we were treated like royalty. On arrival you are showered with rose petals after arriving in a horse drawn carriage and then have rose water sprinkled over you. I thought that they were expecting someone special and that this would all be revealed as some ghastly embarrasing mistake with us expected to pick up the petals but no, each and every guest gets the same treatment.

The hotel is beautiful. All too often an historic building is turned into a hotel by ripping out its guts and putting all the usual hotel accoutrements in. Not on this occasion. This hotel very much remains the palace that it once was but just operates as a hotel. The library, with its collection of rare books and first editions, is there for you to use should you wish. The rooms with their exquisite collections and beautiful furniture are, again, there for you to use. And the 101 seat dining table is laid out as if ready to receive your party,,,,,,should you have 100 other guest with you that is (best of luck with that!)
Our room was opulent - seems the only way to describe it - with all the usual facilities and a great bed.
At the pool side, once we had thawed out, we were served Chai tea and biscuits which was a delightful touch I thought, considering we hadn't ordered it. It turned out to be someone elses order but we had already had it by the time this was discovered and very nice it was too.
The restaurants were lovely. We preferred the more laid back of the two (I can't recall the name) and had a wonderful meal there followed by a drink on the veranda listening to the haunting sounds of Hyderabad at night.
A wonderful stay in a delightful hotel. I would certainly go back again given the chance (and funds of course, it's certainly not the cheapest hotel you'll find).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful and detailed review post your recent stay with us at our Palace. We were delighted to read that your stay with us was a pleasant and memorable one, and the Palace was able to help you relive the bygone era. We are glad to read that overall your stay with us was a pleasant and enjoyable one. Thank you also for your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members and I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

Thank you also for your suggestions with regards to the temperature of the swimming pool which will definitely improve our services. I have shared your feedback with our team, and we are keen on working on your feedback. We will consider your feedback in our future endeavors.

I’m also delighted to share exiting news with you Taj Falaknuma Palace recently won the prestigious Travel + Leisure India’s Best Heritage Hotel Award 2013 and The Best Spa Interiors award 2013 (Hotel & Resort) by Geospa AsiaSpa India Awards. We have also been awarded the Certificate of Excellence 2013 for consistently earning high traveler ratings by travelers, and also have been featured among the Top 25 Luxury Hotels in the Trip Advsior’s Travelers Choice Awards 2013.

There are newer reviews for Taj Falaknuma Palace

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We recently came back from a two-week trip to India with our two young children - ages 3 and 8. This was our first trip to India, and we visited Mumbai (we stayed at the The Oberoi Mumbai), Hyderabad (Le Taj Falaknuma), Agra (The Oberoi Amarvilas), Jaipur (The Fairmont), Jodhpur (Raas Haveli) and Delhi (The Leela Palace).

The Falaknuma Palace is certainly a spectacular hotel. It's an oasis of beautiful green gardens, impressive architecture and superb service, in the middle of a not very attractive city.

We insisted on sharing our room with our two children, and to do so we had to arrange our reservations by phone. It was suggested we reserve a Royal suite, as to better accommodate the extra bed we would be requiring, and we did just that. I must say our room was the least impressive thing about this hotel. It was dark and unwelcoming with a strange layout. We had a strong impression this particular space was not originally designed to be a room, rather it felt more like a corridor or hall. It was long and narrow, with 3 sets of doors to the outside on one wall and small windows that were about 9 feet above ground, next to the very high ceilings. The green colourway certainly did nothing to make it cozier. I did not feel we had any additional useful space in this room, and if we knew then what we know now, we would have just reserved a normal room and not this suite. We saw the inside of some of the regular rooms, and we thought they were a better option than what we had.

Having said that, if we ever find ourselves in Hyderabad again, we will most certainly be staying at the Falaknuma Palace. The grounds of this hotel are absolutely fantastic. The pool has the loveliest set up we have ever seen, and we spent long hours just exploring the multiple gardens. Being able to wander around the palace can't be overstated, it was like the kids were allowed to play in a museum - we could sit on the sofas, read the books from the palace library or have tea on the terrace. It really made our stay in Hyderabad quite special, which was great, because there is not much worth doing in this city. The rest of our sightseeing was quite unremarkable, and I can see how the Falaknuma palace is considered the main tourist attraction.

Service in India tends to be great, but at the Falaknuma it was better that anywhere else. I'm not sure how, but all the staff seemed to know who we were and our room number wherever we went. Even if something went wrong, they would always go out of their way to correct it, and to make us feel welcome. We had breakfast and dinner on the terrace overlooking Hyderabad (dinner with live music), it was a fantastic experience.

I don't believe Hyderabad is a very good tourist destination, but if your travels take you there, I think staying at the Falaknuma Palace is a must. Maybe not a the Royal Suite though.

Room Tip: I don't recommend the Royal Suite.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

We are glad to note that overall you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and we did notice that some of the attributes we have not been able to meet your expectations fully. Specifically, please do accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort caused to room preference. I have taken up the matter very seriously with our Manager – Palace Services as well as the Training Manager and please be assured that we’ll ensure that corrective measures are taken in terms of room preference to ensure that such an incident does not reoccur again.

We would like to once again thank you for your wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Falaknuma Palace for another memorable holiday and assure you of our best services and fullest attention at all times.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Although we stayed in this beautiful, authentically restored palace hotel in January 2012 (over a year ago), our experience here was so magical and unique that I am compelled to write an albeit belated but well-deserved review.
From the moment we arrived by horse-drawn carriage in the middle of a misty, quiet night to the day of our departure, we savoured every memorable sight, sound, scent...
Some of my favorite memories: although this hotel is steeped in formal history, our stay felt comfortable and personal; a cascade of rose petals floating down gracefully from the building's facade as we climbed the marble steps upon our arrival; the sublimely elegant reception rooms, furniture, paintings, chandeliers, books; the lovely front desk staff; drinks on the peaceful terrace in the late afternoon while listening to the city in prayer in the far distance etc.
The Falaknuma is certainly a place worth experiencing...

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Traveled to Taj Falaknuma a few weeks ago...

The entire experience is sooooo beautiful... The decor and the entire building is a wonder in itself and the staff is ever willing to go out of their way to make you comfortable.

I would love to go back to Falaknuma again.

1  Thank shirinquadros

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is an amazing hotel! Even just travelling to this hotel is justifying a trip to Hyderabad. We never had such a personalised service from the moment of arrival until the departure. The team is able to create a full-stay experience. The historic value of the place is unique. We very much enjoyed the food in all of the restaurants.

However, we preferred to eat on the terrace with its great city-view. The indoor areas of the restaurants are too sterile. Nevertheless, it is required that the service will be provided always on the same quality level. There are some lack of services between breakfast and dinner time. Probably, the team will growth with gaining experience. During the stay there were some slips of the pen, which will certainly be corrected for future as we have addressed them to the management team.

Next time we would stay at least in the historical suites. The luxury rooms are nice but you feel that they somehow do not fit in this palace. This kind of room you can find even in other big nice 5 star hotel chains. There is no question at all, you should experience this place...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Roemsch

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

Also please do accept our sincere apologies with regard to the lack of service issue .I have taken up the matter very seriously with our Manager – Palace Services as well as the Training Manager and please be assured that we’ll ensure that corrective measures are taken in terms of room preference to ensure that such an incident does not reoccur again.

We do hope that you would give us another opportunity to welcome you back, and I would like to assure you that you that you will find a definite improvement in highlighted areas on your next visit.

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was too far from the city n v waited a lot to reach there.but on reaching u feel that it was worth all the effort.but one most imp thing-u can't enter the place without prior booking n they check it also.after confirming they call for the cart to take to the main palace.there one person remains with u to assist n even take the pics for u.the approach throughout n the view from there is breath-taking,awesome.the intricate work of art on the walls n floor is worth watching.v cud c the bedrooms of former Nijam n his wife,the gossip room,the study room n their dining room etc.which has been kept n maintained in its original form.food there is quite expensive.i hav to spend basic few thousands for diff kind of cuisines.v spent a basic 2000 Rs per person for the Indian.the food was v good n the service also.the overlooking view of the entire city's lighting added to the experience.though the inside looks of the walls n ceiling did not appeal much.it was ok.the frames for taking the pics r many,many.so hav fun.go to experience it.....

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank dprakash533
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful and detailed review post your recent visit with us at our Palace. We are glad to read that overall your dining experience was a pleasant and enjoyable one. Thank you also for your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members and I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a spectacular hotel which is a destination in and of itself. Hyderabad has a lot of traffic and is quite spread out so if you are staying here and want to leave the premises be prepared for a fair bit of time in traffic (it’s probably 30 minutes to the old part of town and 45 minutes to the university and the high tech park). We went to meetings around town and it was fine but the hotel was so nice that I could imagine just spending three or four days there without leaving. Don’t expect speedy service as this is really a place to relax. Getting to the gate from the main house takes ages as the golf carts take a long time to arrive. Not many people speak English or can answer questions. The pace is languid.

However, the views of the city are dramatic, the Indian food is excellent, there is a swimming pool and fitness center and the rooms in the old palace have been restored and are incredible. The people working in the hotel don’t volunteer much information –although there is an afternoon tour of the old part you can sign up for -so you may need to poke around on your own. We did it and were amazed by the old dining room on the second floor, the balconies, library etc. All in all, a gorgeous old building and one of the most incredible hotels we have stayed in.

We also loved the sights of Hyderabad including the palaces and tombs. It’s a wonderful city, although certainly built up and busy.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank newyorkanya

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

Let us share with you some more interesting information about the Palace.

The restoration has almost took ten years, and the Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces has infused new life into the Falaknuma Palace, which is ready to resume its status as Hyderabad’s most exclusive address to offer its guests a glimpse of the regal lifestyle of the Nizams who governed the legendary city of Hyderabad. After 10 years of extensive restoration, and preserving the priceless art and artifacts, Taj Falaknuma Palace now welcomes guests – completely restored, renewed and reinstated to its former glory.