“A true palace with the highest ambition”

Taj Falaknuma Palace
Ranked #3 of 306 Hotels in Hyderabad
Zurich
“A true palace with the highest ambition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is an amazing hotel! Even just travelling to this hotel is justifying a trip to Hyderabad. We never had such a personalised service from the moment of arrival until the departure. The team is able to create a full-stay experience. The historic value of the place is unique. We very much enjoyed the food in all of the restaurants.

However, we preferred to eat on the terrace with its great city-view. The indoor areas of the restaurants are too sterile. Nevertheless, it is required that the service will be provided always on the same quality level. There are some lack of services between breakfast and dinner time. Probably, the team will growth with gaining experience. During the stay there were some slips of the pen, which will certainly be corrected for future as we have addressed them to the management team.

Next time we would stay at least in the historical suites. The luxury rooms are nice but you feel that they somehow do not fit in this palace. This kind of room you can find even in other big nice 5 star hotel chains. There is no question at all, you should experience this place...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Roemsch
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this review, July 6, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful and detailed review post your recent stay with us at our Palace. We were delighted to read that your stay with us was a pleasant and memorable one, and the Palace was able to help you relive the bygone era. We are glad to read that overall your stay with us was a pleasant and enjoyable one. Thank you also for your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members and I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

Also please do accept our sincere apologies with regard to the lack of service issue .I have taken up the matter very seriously with our Manager – Palace Services as well as the Training Manager and please be assured that we’ll ensure that corrective measures are taken in terms of room preference to ensure that such an incident does not reoccur again.

We do hope that you would give us another opportunity to welcome you back, and I would like to assure you that you that you will find a definite improvement in highlighted areas on your next visit.

Girish Sehgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Jaipur, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was too far from the city n v waited a lot to reach there.but on reaching u feel that it was worth all the effort.but one most imp thing-u can't enter the place without prior booking n they check it also.after confirming they call for the cart to take to the main palace.there one person remains with u to assist n even take the pics for u.the approach throughout n the view from there is breath-taking,awesome.the intricate work of art on the walls n floor is worth watching.v cud c the bedrooms of former Nijam n his wife,the gossip room,the study room n their dining room etc.which has been kept n maintained in its original form.food there is quite expensive.i hav to spend basic few thousands for diff kind of cuisines.v spent a basic 2000 Rs per person for the Indian.the food was v good n the service also.the overlooking view of the entire city's lighting added to the experience.though the inside looks of the walls n ceiling did not appeal much.it was ok.the frames for taking the pics r many,many.so hav fun.go to experience it.....

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank dprakash533
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this review, July 8, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful and detailed review post your recent visit with us at our Palace. We are glad to read that overall your dining experience was a pleasant and enjoyable one. Thank you also for your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members and I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

I’m also delighted to share exiting news with you Taj Falaknuma Palace recently won the prestigious Travel + Leisure India’s Best Heritage Hotel Award 2013 and The Best Spa Interiors award 2013 (Hotel & Resort) by Geospa AsiaSpa India Awards. We have also been awarded the Certificate of Excellence 2013 for consistently earning high traveler ratings by travelers, and also have been featured among the Top 25 Luxury Hotels in the Trip Advsior’s Travelers Choice Awards 2013.

New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a spectacular hotel which is a destination in and of itself. Hyderabad has a lot of traffic and is quite spread out so if you are staying here and want to leave the premises be prepared for a fair bit of time in traffic (it’s probably 30 minutes to the old part of town and 45 minutes to the university and the high tech park). We went to meetings around town and it was fine but the hotel was so nice that I could imagine just spending three or four days there without leaving. Don’t expect speedy service as this is really a place to relax. Getting to the gate from the main house takes ages as the golf carts take a long time to arrive. Not many people speak English or can answer questions. The pace is languid.

However, the views of the city are dramatic, the Indian food is excellent, there is a swimming pool and fitness center and the rooms in the old palace have been restored and are incredible. The people working in the hotel don’t volunteer much information –although there is an afternoon tour of the old part you can sign up for -so you may need to poke around on your own. We did it and were amazed by the old dining room on the second floor, the balconies, library etc. All in all, a gorgeous old building and one of the most incredible hotels we have stayed in.

We also loved the sights of Hyderabad including the palaces and tombs. It’s a wonderful city, although certainly built up and busy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank newyorkanya

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

We are glad to note that overall you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and we did notice that some of the attributes we have not been able to meet your expectations fully. Specifically, please do accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort caused to room preference. I have taken up the matter very seriously with our Manager – Palace Services as well as the Training Manager and please be assured that we’ll ensure that corrective measures are taken in terms of room preference to ensure that such an incident does not reoccur again.

Let us share with you some more interesting information about the Palace.

The restoration has almost took ten years, and the Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces has infused new life into the Falaknuma Palace, which is ready to resume its status as Hyderabad’s most exclusive address to offer its guests a glimpse of the regal lifestyle of the Nizams who governed the legendary city of Hyderabad. After 10 years of extensive restoration, and preserving the priceless art and artifacts, Taj Falaknuma Palace now welcomes guests – completely restored, renewed and reinstated to its former glory.

We would like to once again thank you for your wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Falaknuma Palace for another memorable holiday and assure you of our best services and fullest attention at all times.

Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

It is very difficult to describe the stay at this marvellous hotel.
Taj has done a fabulous job to restore the artistic beauty and the luxury along with rich heritage of the palace. The entire stay will haunt you like a gallery with fresh paintings.

Once you enter the hotel, there is no hassle of check-in and waiting. You will be guided to your room directly, through the palace's main building. By the time you you digest you are in a palace and you are being treated like THE NIZAM, you will be done with half of your stay.

It is neo-expensive, but somewhere you feel that it is justified.

Food was good. Restaurants are small. Chef was able to meet our expectations in making a spicy paneer dish.

Vishal. Prabhakar and Shwetha from front desk are competent,cordial and ready to help.

Do I suggest this hotel? Yes!! If there is no problem with affordability, you should stay there. You will cherish the stay.

Tip to the hotel:
Need more entertainment/activities. Guided tour, qawwali and jazz @ restaurant are the only activities in a closed palace are not sufficient. They should take a leaf out of their own property, 'Taj Lake Palace'.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cricbizman
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this review, July 12, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful review post your recent stay with us at our Palace. We were delighted to read that your stay with us was a pleasant and memorable one, and the Palace was able to help you relive the bygone era. We appreciate your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members especially, I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

Let us share with you some more interesting information about the Palace.

We would like to once again thank you for your wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Falaknuma Palace for another memorable holiday - a bit longer stay for the next time.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

A truely unique and wonderful place. Four days staying here was a sublime experience. I won't replicate all the positive commenets which other reviewers have made, save to say i entirely agree with them. What I would add is that Taj have done a fantastic job restoring the Palace to its former glory. The staff seem genuinely proud of being part of the establishment. And the hotel's official 'historian' is a real bonus. He explains the history of the palace with evident passion and enthusiasm and enables guests to learn and understand the heritage and history of where they are staying, thereby enriching their experience considerably and making it something to remember with pride and pleasure--for it is a genuine privilege to be a guest at this marvellous property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Vanguard12

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

a review cannot describe the experience of this property- it is not a hotel stay it is enjoying hospitality in a Palace- a property from a bygone era that has been beautifully restored.
do not miss the chance to stay at this Hotel

Room Tip: check the hotel website for specials
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank RAMA53

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is truly spectacular. I will try to avoid using superlatives every 5 seconds of this review.

As already mentioned from everyone else's reviews, arriving is an experience, on a horse drawn carriage, and with red rose petals thrown unto you (this rose petal throwing is a custom of all 4 Taj Palace hotels in India - the other 3 being in Rajasthan). I stayed in for 11 nights in Jan/ Feb 2013 in one of their best rooms (I will not disclose which room however for reasons of privacy).

Rooms are very expensive here, in fact the most expensive of all the hotels in Hyderabad (to be expected really, when you are living in a place as this), and could be on par nearly with London. As with all Taj hotels, the rooms are not massive as you may find in Dubai hotels, but they are competitive (both in price and size) with London, don't expect massive rooms, but that isn't a huge problem to be fair, you should get used to it!

As we all already know, this is one of the most fabulous hotels in the world, therefore there's absolutely no need for me to go into any further detail, just book it and see the delight for yourself.

Tips I think all travellers should take into consideration

Dress code - I don't mean to be overly pompous here, but considering that one is taking residence in a former Nizam's royal palace, I think it's rather embarrassing that Western holidaymakers (at least everyone in the hotel I saw) were all donning their cheapest clothing from Primark, Marks and Spencer. Please guests, you may or may not have paid for this trip, but you are staying in a royal palace, for the sake of the surroundings dress up a little. Also, Indian clothing is stunning (and extremely cheap compared to Western standards). Men you can get a royal "kurta and pyjama with dupatta, along with Saleem Shah shoes" for around 3,500 rupees (around £45 approximately). First day you land, ask the concierge to take you to Abids crescent, there are many shops there that cater for men, you'll look like the real king you were meant to be. Alternatively, try one shop in Begumpet (no names, looks like I'm advertising), it's famous, and besides Lifestyle mall.

Travelling around old City - This is a very delicate place with stunning examples of Mughal architecture. Please take some time to see some of these places (Makkah Masjid/ Salarjung Museum, Osmania Hospital/ Charminar). One point to bear in mind however if you take it upon yourself to go to Charminar or Gulzar House to buy jewellery/ gold. Be wary that begging is a huge problem in Hyderabad, especially in tourist hotspots and practically every traffic signal. It is worst in Old City, especially in Charminar, Gulzar House area (if you go to Banjara Hills/ Jubilee Hills, you probably won't notice it so much). I talk from experience, that if you get out of your hotel car in Gulzar House, you will be mobbed by a huge gang of (wait for it) ladies only beggars. One in particular will grab your clothes (she's a lambadi - Rajasthani dancer) and she's particularly known for doing this – she makes her money this way of course. Only going into a shop will mean another 10 will be waiting in a queue for money. I advise strongly to go either with hotel staff (if they will allow for this), as it is a huge culture shock and very surreal to have the whole place stop and stare as you try and go about shopping. Also it can be an extremely frightening experience, if you never have encountered such an occurrence before. I would advise taking some bodyguards, but that probably doesn't count high on many people's itinerary on this site.

Driving standards - Having stayed in Mumbai, I felt compared to London, driving there was abysmal at best. Hyderabad makes Mumbai drivers look great. Try not to have a panic attack at every junction where someone happens to be walking within an inch of the vehicle as you travel at speed, and a large lorry approaches from the inside, whilst a motorcycle drives on the other side. I may be slightly exaggerating, but trust me, the amount of times I thought there was going to be a fatal collision was almost on a daily if not hourly basis. You get used to it after a while, and it actually becomes quite comical eventually, and I rather ended up missing the funny driving after I left.

Weather - It's great weather here when it's cold in London. I believe it will be Summer time soon in Hyd (around March time) so expect sun and temperature in the 40s then..

Shopping - Hyderabad is like London in this regard. It is awesome for shopping. Try and do as much authentic Indian hopping you can here, as these products may not be able to purchased outside from Hyderabad. Abids, Begumpet, Jubilee Hills, Banjara Hills are great places for shopping. Of course, I should mention Charminar and Gulzar House, but remember to be careful here like I mentioned previously.

Food - This was slightly disappointing at the Palace, as being of Hyderabadi ancestry, I am lucky to be able to eat this kind of super tasty food daily. I felt that the Dhum Biryani, along with some of the items on one of the tasting menus was not as amazing as I expected it. Try the home cooked indian curry, round kebabs (forgotten their names) for dinner, parathas for breakfast and mince meat for breakfast. There is a huge option list of food (for in-room dining, and from the restaurants), however I only ate from the quite well appointed in-room dining. I am probably mistaken about the Biryani, as they may serve a slightly different version in the restaurant to what is on the in-room menu, but the food is still top notch, I'm just being fussy as I eat this all the time.

Jiva Spa - This is super expensive, again similarly priced to top European hotel spas/ London spas. In my opinion, this was one of the most luxuriously appointed spas I have ever been to, the furniture and fittings are very high quality, and I think the price paid is not only reflective of the quality of products and service, but also of the ambience and surrounding furnishings. It is worth it, treat yourself if you can. Also, you MUST try the Jiva Spa chai (they’ll offer it if you go in, otherwise you must just ask for it), it's the most delicious chai I have ever had, I forgot to write the recipe down, but who cares I couldn't make it anyway!!

Flights to Hyderabad - I made the mistake of flying Qatar Airways (Economy). I previously flew Business, but as I was paying a lot for the hotel, I decided to slum it a bit. How mistaken I was. The 5 star airline quote that Qatar Airways is famous for, relates only to Business/ First. Economy was one of the most awful experiences I have ever encountered on a flight. Seat leg room is slightly cramped, but the most annoying thing, is the tiny galley ways (which can only accommodate one person in economy) so everyone will brush past you as you stretch, come back from walking around etc. I happened to also have had the misfortune of flying besides, not 1 but 3 weird freaks going from London to Doha. Instead of flying Qatar, Emirates is 10% more expensive, but definitely worth it for economy (you get free water all the time from the in-flight water fountain, and much better food and an amazing in-seat entertainment system). Qatar Airways’ food was neither that great, nor was their in-seat entertainment. Service on Qatar Airways was however top notch, but that didn't mean much to me when I was pining for Emirates all the way.

Another thing, Emirates First Class is more like Qatar Airways Business Class from what I experienced (I have flown Business on both airlines). That's when flying Qatar counts, in Business or First, otherwise fly Emirates.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family