“Magnificent Palace hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 302 Hotels in Hyderabad
London
“Magnificent Palace hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I had a five night stay here in February 2013. Perched 2000 feet up on a hill overlooking Hyderabad, and conveniently on the right side of town for the airport, the Falaknuma Palace is a special place. It was built by the prime minister of Hyderabad in the late 19th century, and then bought by the Nizam of Hyderabad after the building bankrupted the prime minister. Abandoned for years after Hyderabad was absorbed into the state of India in 1948 (a year after the British left), the palace was been taken over by the Taj Hotel group in 2005, and after a lengthy restoration reopened as a 60 room luxury hotel in late 2010.

The palace is a magnificent building, with marble floors, ornate ceilings and beautiful chandeliers. It has a vast 101 seat dining table, a fine library and beautiful artifacts, such as a magnificent Chinese cabinet in one of the drawing rooms. The marble staircase is a work of art in itself. In terms of amenities, we stayed in one of the basic rooms (120), but this was spacious and well appointed. The shower was superb, the bed comfortable, and the room had a separate sofa and desk, and plenty of wardrobe space. The place is spotless throughout, carefully maintained by 350 staff for the 60 rooms. There are several attractive terraces with view over the city where you can have a drink, or arrange dinner. There are two restaurants, an Italian cafe for those who want to travel all the way to India to eat European food, and Adaa, the Indian restaurant. Adaa is superb, producing some truly magnificent dishes over the many meals that we tried here. Biriani is a must, a Hyderabad specialty, but the Malabar prawns, chicken tikka and bhindi were all examples of terrific cooking. I have travelled widely in India 14 visits and counting), and this is some of the very best Indian food in the country. As an aside, the croissants at breakfast here are brilliant, made in the pastry section of the kitchen in a temperature controlled room at 16C to ensure optimal conditions for the butter when making the pastry.

It is a difficult place to criticise. There is a very small swimming pool, presumably needing to be in keeping with the,original palace design, and of course it is a short drive into town (perhaps 15 minutes from the Chowmella palace, depending on traffic) as it is situated up on a hill. However this gives fine views over the city, and there are some small but attractive gardens at the front of the palace. There is a regular series of people arriving at the room to provide turn-down service, present little nibbles or just to check up on housekeeping, though of course you can always put your privacy sign (a red cord) on he door to minimize this should you wish.

When we checked in we were taken from the entrance up to the palace by horse-drawn carriage, which was a nice touch, though golf carts are the more usual way to get taken from the place to the gate.

Overall, this is a truly magnificent hotel, a rare chance to blend relaxation with some genuinely interesting history, and get a glimpse into the life of the Nizam, the richest man in the world in the 1930s.

Room Tip: I do not think there are any bad rooms here. Most are clustered round a central courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this review, July 12, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful review post your recent stay with us at our Palace. We were delighted to read that your stay with us was a pleasant and memorable one, and the Palace was able to help you relive the bygone era. We appreciate your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members especially, I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

Let us share with you some more interesting information about the Palace restoration.

The restoration has almost took ten years, and the Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces has infused new life into the Falaknuma Palace, which is ready to resume its status as Hyderabad’s most exclusive address to offer its guests a glimpse of the regal lifestyle of the Nizams who governed the legendary city of Hyderabad. After 10 years of extensive restoration, and preserving the priceless art and artifacts, Taj Falaknuma Palace now welcomes guests – completely restored, renewed and reinstated to its former glory.

I’m also delighted to share exiting news with you Taj Falaknuma Palace recently won the prestigious Travel + Leisure India’s Best Heritage Hotel Award 2013 and The Best Spa Interiors award 2013 (Hotel & Resort) by Geospa AsiaSpa India Awards. We have also been awarded the Certificate of Excellence 2013 for consistently earning high traveler ratings by travelers, and also have been featured among the Top 25 Luxury Hotels in the Trip Advsior’s Travelers Choice Awards 2013.

We would like to once again thank you for your wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Falaknuma Palace for another memorable holiday - a bit longer stay for the next time.

Girish Sehgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Nothing can prepare you for your stay at the Falaknuma. From the start, your horsedrawn carriage up the hill to the grand entrance, to the end, when you're suddenly showered with rose petals as you descend the staircase to your shuttle down the hillside, this is a hotel with few rivals.

The staff could not be more helpful and attentive. They even arranged our boarding passes and seat assignments for our departing flight - without us even asking! The restaurants are excellent displaying amazing creativity (try the kulfi with rose marmalade for dessert!). The rooms are immaculate and the evening performance of Islamic chanting was magical and evocative.

The building, grounds, staff, and history infused in every room make this a one of a kind experience. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just in love with the palace! Amazing property! amazing service! Food is pretty decent .but all in all what an experience! would love to come back over n over again ! Kudos to the staff and management for maintaing this heritage property so well!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed there 3 nights. We have been living in India and travelling lots in India, staying lots at Taj. This hotel breakfast was one of the best breakfast I had in Taj. I loved pastry, croissant etc. It was really good standard. The room and the hotel was beautiful and love surrunding.

Only the negative was staff. They were quite slow and not very efficient, but it did not bother me too much, as the hotel was really great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful and detailed review post your recent stay with us at our Palace.

We are glad to note that overall you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and we did notice that some of the attributes we have not been able to meet your expectations fully. Specifically, please do accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort caused with regards to the slow service. I have taken up the matter very seriously with our Manager – Food & Beverages as well as the Training Manager and please be assured that we’ll ensure that corrective measures are taken in terms of attentiveness to ensure that such an incident does not reoccur again.

We would like to once again thank you for your wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Falaknuma Palace for another memorable holiday and assure you of our best services and fullest attention at all times.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This TAJ property - the former residence of the Nizam of Hyderabad, is one of the finest luxurious hotels in India, with the ambiance, decor, location, heritage and a view to kill. It is 2000 feet above Hyderabad. The grand chandeliers, rare furniture, grand marble staircases, fountains, gardens, priceless statues and stained-glass windows are worth seeing. The Palace Library, a replica of the one at Windsor Castle. They have 2 restaurants one serving sumptuous Indian cuisines and the other Mediterranean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank golujain

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We decided to spend 3 days, including New Year’s eve, at the Falaknuma Palace when in Hyderabad to visit friends. Overall we were very pleased with our stay. The carriage ride from the security stop to the hotel was very nice. The hotel staff greeting was warm and check-in was painless. Our room, a Suite on the second floor was spacious, impeccably decorated and well equipped. A warm bath with rose petals was waiting for us when we arrived. Little touches like both terry and cotton bathrobes were a very nice touch. The property is beautiful and grounds are perfectly maintained. The spa is exceptional. The gift shop is very, very nice. The big disappointment was service and food quality. Having staying in several of the Taj Palace properties (Taj Mahal Mumbai, Lake Palace, Rambaugh) we had an expectation of the quality of facilities and service we would find at Falaknuma – sadly, we were disappointed. The food quality, while very nice, was not the exceptional standard of other properties. The table service was very friendly but not efficient for example, from when we ordered it took 10 – 15 mins for morning coffee to arrive at breakfast; one night our cocktail order took 20 mins. the next night 30 mins. this was accompanied with apologies and explanations that the delay was because the type of vodka we had requested was located in a different bar. I should note that in each case it was not sufficiently busy to account for the service. In every case the staff was very pleasant but it left us wondering whether it would be better to strike a balance between courteous/helpful staff and efficient service. Finally, the communications for the New Year’s Eve festivities (which were great fun) was very poor. No one we spoke to was clear about what time it would start and whether seating was reserved or not and therefore what time we should plan to arrive to ensure a nice table. As it turned our tables had been reserved in advance, ours was lovely and the evening was great fun. The next evening, a price fixe dinner was being served on the outside dining area – we could not find out any information about it in advance. Finally, unlike every other Taj property, we were not asked to provide feedback on our experience – very odd.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Ghaziabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

i stayed with a friend on 17th jan 2013 ..It was an amazing place to be...the welcome was unique and interesting you are taken to the palace on a horse carriage and the shower of rose petals on arrival is very special...you are treated like royalty. Rooms are very nice ,food and service is extraordinary...A must for every tourist who come to hyderabad ...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business