“A royal treat!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 306 Hotels in Hyderabad
San Francisco
“A royal treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

After an exhausting day of traffic and travel and a small crowded airplane, I was met at the Hyderabad airport and whisked away in an air conditioned car through the city of Hyderabad. Upon arrival at the property, I could not have been more surprised to have been met by a horse and carriage to take me from the watch tower to the main hotel and palace. What a spectacular setting and beautiful grounds! The welcoming staff were very knowledgeable about all the history of the hotel and I made sure to ask for a private tour of all the rooms--the tour was excellent. My palace room upgrade provided me with a spacious enough and very comfortable bedroom--absolutely quiet and with a sumptuously comfortable bed. Breakfast was outstanding with Indian and western choices, beautifully served. I wish I had more time to try the spa and enjoy what look to be excellent dinner restaurants. I will surely be back to enjoy this jewel of India. Having stayed in the palaces of Rajasthan, this one rates right up there. Thank you Taj Falaknuma for being the highlight of my trip last week! (My only complaint is that the internet signal could be stronger, even in the business center, and should be included in the rate).

Room Tip: My palace room was excellent
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank aerotraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

We had planned on staying at the Taj for only one night until we got there. We quickly decided to stay two and I only wish we could have stayed more. It starts when they pick you up at the grounds gate in a beautiful two horse drawn chariot that deposits you in front of the Palace where you are greeted with a cold towel and drink. Then, as you ascend up the steps you are showered with rose petals. All I can say is it's like staying at the Palace of Versailles. Every inch is amazing. We were lucky enough to stay in Suite 205. It was enormous and just stunning. I highly recommend the Champagne Palace walk. They walk you around the property and describe everything to you, ending with a flute. Afterwards you can go directly to hear the nightly entertainment. Don't miss it; it's quite special. The spa treatment rooms were beautiful and the couples massage we got was one of the best we've ever had. Everyone, and I mean everyone, at the hotel takes great pride in the Palace. If you so much as pause to look at something a security guard or someone will tell you the entire history of it. As soon as the woman working at the pool restaurant saw me fan myself she quickly brought over a wonderful facial misting bottle. We had breakfast served on our terrace which was quite nice. I truly can't tell you how special this place is. I swear I got teary a couple times! It's not close to the business area. Come here to relax and unwind; it's amazing.

Room Tip: Go for broke and get the best you can
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank goodtrips01
Dubai, Uae
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

This hotel was truly stunning. From the moment you enter the grounds, you are treated like Royalty. You are taken up to the hotel in a gorgeous horse-drawn carriage. This was the real palace of the 8th Nizam and is considered the Versailles of India. The staff are all very well informed of the history of the Palace and everyday they offer guided tours of the palace including to the dining room with the largest dining table in the world, seating 101 people. The rooms are super comfortable and luxurious. The terrace where you can enjoy a high tea is sublime. The food is outstanding. I would go back here over and over again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

Okay, this is a special place. From what I understand, this is the Royal Guesthouse of the Nizam of Hyderabdad who now lives in London and has leased his property to the Taj group of hotels - and it shows. In the interest preserving the heritage of the property, things like discotheques are not available but you do have a great restaurant (I thought everything tasted delicious especially the little cakes the serve for breakfast), landscaped pool and lovely decor in the rooms - very elegant.

I just found the welcome a bit excessive i.e. horse-drawn carriage, guard of honor, shower of rose petals etc. I'm a little less into the bourgeois type of thing although I kinda liked the horse carriage..hmmm. I could do without it.

The interiors are...well, palacial. Beautiful and there is a genuine feeling of history about the place. The staff are very friendly, courteous and helpful and one should expect that @ USD 400 per night for the cheapest room. Obviously things are more than a few notches above your normal 5-star place so you should expect to pay more. I'd expect maintenance to be costly as well. I mean compare it to the Taj Krishna at Banjara Hills (also a good hotel) for instance and you'll see it's worth the money. Also consider that the average working girl (studio not street) in a place like Zurich charges nearly USD 400 per hour and you can see that it's really not thaaat expensive :).

The location is good situated on little hilltop 2000-feet above the city (so it's away from the pollution and you get a good view from the hotel) and bad - it takes 45 minutes to get to most places you want to go from there (side note: hotel's a cemetery after dark). It is also nearly 1.5 kilometres from the gate to the entrance of the palace itself. Not t too short a walk.

What sucked:

1. They couldn't ensure that they had good iron-boxes on hand. I tried 2 before giving up. Both were average (low quality actually) boxes that leaked when filled with water. My shirts got soaked. I loathe that kind of thing @ USD 400 per night. I expect the best damn ironing boxes on the planet @ USD 400 per night.

2. It's a palacial little jail. There's no action there and the city's not nearby. A bit of a bore. I'm not sure people will want to stay there too long. I might though - I am a regal little bore myself.

3. The glass doors in the bathrooms squeaked and scraped against the floor. This isn't the first top hotel I've been to where this happens though. I think I had a similar experience when I stayed at the Fairmont in Scottsdale, Arizona.

4. You've got to watch your step at times. The flooring has all kinds of unintended booby traps.

What was awesome:

1. Horse drawn carriage. I think a Ferrari or helicopter would've been cooler though. I'm a high tech kinda guy.

2. Great staff, service etc.

3. Fabulous decor.

4. Great feeling of history even if I would have (and still do) considered it a privilege to execute all royalty (self excluded) in the name of liberté, egalité and fraternité. A guillotine would be a nice replacement for the canons. Still a lovely place.

5. Great food. I think everything I ate tasted great. The cakes that came with breakfast were fab. And I fuss about things like that.

6. Nice large chocalate-cream-puff-biscuit (I'm sure there's a nice French word for it) + cocoa for a nightcap. :)

7. They have (or had at the time) a great deal that would be affordable to quite a few average Indian professionals i.e. USD 800 for 3 days / 2 nights including breakfast & lunch, airport transfer etc. Not too bad. INR 35,000 is quite a bit but I also know there are more than a few professionals who could afford it just to experience this place.

Overall: Very Good. It's never going to be excellent @ USD 400 per night (maybe @ USD 200 per night). That is reserved for my luxury suite on the Starship Enterprise @ XG23 5000 per night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Freyr F
verteillac
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

How can one do justice without running out of superlatives?The perfect palace experience.Setting,service,food all top of the line.Take breakfast,the continental makes the word copious seem too little,it is copious enough for a hungry elephant,the best granola and croissants better than any I have had in France-and i live there.Amongst other things worth mentioning,great evening Sufi music and incredible views from all parts.A truly sublime experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikeja
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Will probably among the best Palace Hotels in the world ! It has been restored under the watchful eyes of the family and hence the 15 years it took...you actually get to see and use the original furniture....you have to have a reservation to dine or to stay to enter the compound..you are escorted from the gates or a carriage depending on hat you've come for....the staff take you on a tour which you should arrange when making a reservation itself...the staff are excellent and friendly...we ate at the Italian restaurant and the food was pretty good..they have some unique cocktails too...the views of the city at night are amazing...and the Palace itself lit up is fabulous...will probably have to see it in the day sometime....a must see to understand the Nizami splendour !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank PavRao
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

My wife and I spent two nights at this amazing property. Taj Group took 16 long years to restore this palace that was bought by Nizam of Hyderabad of his brother in law, who ran into insolvency while building this palace. This hotel is poetry in the form of structure design and layout. Taj has left no stone unturned to restore the heritage property to its pristine glory. The food is great, service exceptionally good. A stay here is a feast for the body, mind and soul.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. The ones facing courtyard are the best.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple