“Budget hotel (with all the cons attached)”

Hotel Silver Spring
Ranked #42 of 77 Port Blair B&B and Inns
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Budget hotel (with all the cons attached)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Clean hotel, with basic service. A budget hotel all the strings (good and bad) attached.

Food: All the menu items I tried were okay. Although some dishes looked and tasted different from what I tasted elsewhere, the overall experience was acceptable.
(e.g.) Manchurian looks like Schezwan - but tastes okay (Not like Manchurian, Not like Schezwan ... but a different taste altogether).

Cons:
1. Tried to put me in a standard room when my agent had pre-paid for a delux room.
2. Had to ASK for second towel, second soap etc (we were a family of four)
3. My wife had ordered chicken and I had prompted that she should ask for boneless - which she did (no mistake about what I heard). We got the dish with bones. Not a grave mistake - but I thought I should point out, and called the restaurant. Then started the ordeal...
A waiter came to the room accusing us of lying. Wanting to avoid an argument, I told him to leave. The Reception was non-committal, and till my check-out the next day, the entire staff held out that we were lying. A bad experience... I think there is some kind of union working here. My conclusion:
a) The Waiter was trying to hide a small mistake so that the Manager does not rebuke him
b) The Manager was totally wrong in allowing the waiter to come to the room and argue.
c) The rest of the staff were lying to hide a small mistake where a mild sorry would have sufficed for me. This experience will make me avoid this hotel and never recommend this to others. Stay at your own risk - and only if all other options are unavailable (At least the rooms are clean and you can park yourself for a night or two)

Travelled in Early May and booked the hotel through a travel agent.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road are Delux Rooms. They will try to convince you that other rooms are also Delux...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vanderlooster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Noida, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went to the hotel in the last week of April 2013.Booking was already done through Yatra. The rooms of the second floor are good & spacious as compare to first floor.Even the first floor rooms were smelly & unhygenic Food is okay.Hotel is very near by to Airport.Any Autorickshaw will take 50 rs only.So don't book hotel pick drop facility as they will charge you 300 rs for the same.

Room Tip: choose rooms on the second floor only Room no 202 & 201 are the best
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlkAnurag
Patna Bihar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Hotel is good and properly located. Phone calls are not attended promptly either at Room Service or Restaurant. Messages had to be conveyed through Reception. Food is good. The staffs are required to be trained.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Ajay B P
Noida, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The overall experience was good. The rooms were well maintained and the service was also good and prompt. Though, many a times the drinking water provided in the room had things floating inside. The restraunt was very well maintained and the food was awesome. The location of the hotel is good, if you want to stay near the airport that is. Also, its centrally located and are the tourist spots are nearby. I stayed in havelock as well for 2 nights so was not really looking for a hotel with good view in Port blair. So for me the location of this hotel was excellent. The view from the terrace though is good.

Best Experience: Restraunt and food

Worst Experience: There was a lack of personal touch. My kid fell sick during the stay due to which I had to stay an extra night. I was expecting that the I would be offerred a dicount due to the unforseen circumstances. In fact, I requested the same but they clearly said NO, though I had booked 3 rooms and that too for 4 nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ankbhu
jodhpur india
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went on family trip to Port Blair and Havelock Island. On our 5 days trip we stayed 2 days in Port Blair and the next 3 days in Havelock. Thanks to the reviews on tripadvisor which helped us lot in selecting the right hotel & 99andaman.com for giving us a fab package at gr8 prices

Hotel Silver Spring, Port Blair is located in the heart of city and just 10 minutes from the airport.
The hotel has no view since it is completely surrounded by buildings. However it is very convenient to roam the city from the hotel. You can visit to nearby market, Rajiv Gandhi sports complex, Marine Park, Phoenix Jetty and Anthropological Museum.

Hotel is a true delight for discerning travelers. On reaching the hotel they provide us wonderful
hospitality and top quality service. We were accompanied to our rooms. We stayed in deluxe rooms. The rooms were A/C provided with the television, telephone, internet access, safe etc. Bathrooms were big enough with separate bath area. Rooms and bathrooms were neat and clean. Housekeeping was done regularly twice a day.

The hotel has conference hall “Moon Deck “and a banquet hall “Silver Club”. The hotel has
great dining facility. They have Indian, continental and Chinese cuisine Aroma. They also have buffet for breakfast and dinner. The food at Aroma was amazingly nice. The sea food is finger lickin. We visited to their kitchen and found that the food is cooked very hygienically.

Hotel also provides other services like doctor on call, laundry, non-smoking rooms etc. We used
laundry service and they washed the clothes perfectly and after ironing the clothes they return them to rooms timely.

The hotel staff is very pleasing and always there to help you. So after spending 2 memorable
days in hotel Silver Spring we went to Havelock. The hotel Silver Spring is a place with luxury in the centre of the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank simer s
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights...on different occasion since havelock was also in the itinerary. First day we got a standard room, the service was nice but room was little damped. The location is pretty good and staff is courteous. The 2nd night they gave us a deluxe room in 2nd floor it was good but with couple of problem the window AC was hardly working and the room was facing the road so there was plenty of street light in the room. However its a decent place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the road should be preferred.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rashim22
bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is a nice hotel at Port Blair. The rooms are well maintained. The best thing I liked about this hotel is, it's cleanliness. Food is good too. During our stay we had dinner there twice.

It is located at a convenient location at Junglighat - the main shopping area of Port Blair is at a walkable distance. Its near to aiport too , just takes 5-10 min to reach airport. However there are no gud eating joints nearby so you end up eating there only. Complimentary bfast is also decent.

We requested for late checkout , the same was easily arranged. I would surely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple