“Ok I guess”

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Port Blair
Melbourne, Australia
“Ok I guess”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here on route to the islands and found the place ok for the price, however the room was a bit run down. I popped my head into the more 'luxurious' 800RS room which seemed a lot lighter and larger. However, on my return trip to Port Blair, on the recommendation of someone I met, I decided to try Island Park Plaza (not on TA) and was impressed by their clean, larger rooms at the same price as Aashiaanaa 600Rs.

Room Tip: Go for the top of the range if in your budget.
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Orwellwasright

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a really beautiful place to stay.. I could say the best place i have ever stayed in India, i stayed in room 3o7 it is one of the quietest room i guess, overall I rate this place 5 on 5, and i must say the people here are so friendly, specially the manager Asaf, he is a darling son..
THANK YOU.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank zviavaz
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights as a couple on route to Havelock.

Welcoming staff although the senior guy seemed a bit preoccupied throughout our stay.

Room was on ground floor at the far end and seemed to have some local elephants running up and down the stairs at all hours!

Generally a decent place to stay with the 'bar' next door being an interesting experience!

Try 'The Dolphin' across the road for good food and company.

If you stay here for more than the transit to the ferry hire a bike for the day and ride south away from the tourist areas. There are some really great little villages with great food and people. Be sure for the driver to wear a helmet though as the police are very keen!

Room Tip: Upstairs would probably be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vanessa_the_van
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Aashiaanaa: not trustworthy!
Even though my booking was confirmed several times via email , I sent a reminder the day before and arrived on the early ferry, they had given the room away. They just send you off with a (so called ‘free’ but the new place will charge you for it) riksjadriver and that’s it. Definitely not the friendly helpful place anymore it sounds like in the LP.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank siel
MARINEHILL, Owner at Aashiaanaa Residency Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear guests,
This particular guest had sent an email in one of my wrong e mail id which is in my website and that email is currently not working.

reg
Owner

Travelers are raving about these Port Blair hotels

Lausanne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Budget Guestroom with friendly staff.
Pros:
- cheap
- near the Jetty
- clean sheets
Cons:
- far from Bazaar/centre
- room are small and no so clean

It makes a good choice for a one night stand before getting a ferry.
The Lonely Planet review is way out of reality though And should not be consider as a criteria for choosing this place.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Nelson D
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is probably the BEST budget hotel and has the BEST value for money in the hotels in Port Blair. It is in a nice and calm place near the jetty, but you have to walk a little for any hotels or any other food options. The owners are very nice and helpful; we did not expect Tea in such a small place - as it was more like a hotel fun from a house, but were pleasantly surprised.

(We went in Sept 2010)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Venkat S
Kolkata
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

This is an absolute NO-NO if you are travelling with families. The place is only suitable for backpackers on budget. The rooms are small - the bathrooms an afterthought. Although you get autos on doorsteps - the place (its run out of a house by a family) is uphill making walking up and down a challenge.

I personally had a very bad experience with the owner (Shadab). A good review in Lonely Planet landed me there (along with my parents). I had expressed my intent to stay 3 days over email. However on arrival we found this was not going to work for us -

(a) Room was small for 3 people (with drain pipes running through the room) although with a good balcony,

(b) Bathroom cramped

(c)It was on 3rd floor which made it a challenging climb for my parents (although we were offered a room on ground floor as alternate which was not airy)

(d) They dont have any provisions for food (lunch/dinner) though they said breakfast could be arranged

I mentioned that we wanted to move out after staying 1 day. We were told that if we leave we have to pay for 3 days since I had expressed my intent to stay for 3 days on email !! This was the worst part of the experience

- It was not as if the place was full - there were rooms available (during our one day stay we saw more than a couple of foreign backpackers landing up there scouting for rooms) - hence the claim that they would be losing money since they had kept a room booked for us for 3 days was not valid

- The gentleman Shadab was audacious enough to say "All people from Kolkata are problematic" - very very ill behaved (to the credit of his family his brother later apologised for his behaviour and offered to give a 10% discount on room price if we decided to stay 3 days)

Overall it really left a bad taste in mouth and that too upon arrival in a new place. The place gets mostly foreign backpackers due to a good review on Lonely Planet guide. And at least I saw the foreigners getting a smiling welcome and being chaperoned around - so may be that treatment is not extended to Indians.

However I have to say that even for foreigners there are other places in Port Blair that offer a better rooms at same value.

Room Tip: If at all staying as couple and climbing stairs is not an issue take the room on top floor next to b...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank travelust72
MARINEHILL, Owner at Aashiaanaa Residency Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear guests,
The guest in particular had booked room with us through e-mail and booked the room with us for three consecutive nights and he had also had agreed on the price. I had also informed him that we have the rooms in the second floor. But when he arrived he was not willing to stay in our place for more than one night, therefore I asked him to pay for the other two nights also if he wants to check out. It is mandatory in each of the hotel in Port Blair that if a guest books a room for like 3 nights he has to stay there for the no of nights which he has booked or else if the guest wants to check out after staying for one day he has to pay for all the other two nights. The moment I asked him to pay him for the rest of the nights he started shouting at me and was not willing to pay for the bill, which was very rude from his side.
I had also informed him well before that our hotel is not providing lunch and dinner as we only breakfast facility in our place, complaining for the food is also not appropriate on his behalf.

with reg
#13 of 30 in Port Blair
Cross Bill Beach Resort
Cross Bill Beach Resort
#10 of 12 in Havelock Island

Been to Aashiaanaa Residency Inn? Share your experiences!