“They need a lot of training to improve this place”

New Lighthouse Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 45 Restaurants in Port Blair
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Sydney, Australia
“They need a lot of training to improve this place”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Andamans is not the place for gastronomic delights, and Port Blair is a screaming example of that. You can't blame the staff of the restaurants, they simply do not have exposure to what good food or varied recipes are. The owners of these places need to move with the times and train their people better.

New Lighthouse has a nice location next to the Water Sports Complex and the Aquarium. There is a small covered section on the terrace which we went to. The downstairs section seemed a bit dirty.

We visited this place on 2 occasions for lunch. My wife being a vegetarian, she ordered Indian food both times - jeera rice, dal, roti, salad and some veggie dish. Was decent.

The first time I tried tiger prawns. As I wanted to get the flavour of the prawns, I asked for a simple salt and pepper preparation. They served me what tasted like Manchurian prawns instead. When I questioned the waiter he seemed to think the kitchen made some mistake. Anyway, I managed to retrieve some semblance of taste from the prawns and didn't bother to follow up. Incidentally the prawns cost 200 a piece. Not bad for quite large specimens.

On our return to Port Blair from Havelock, glutton for punishment that I was, I decided on lobster. I had tried to order lobster at other places but you always needed to inform in advance or the sizes were too large and expensive for one person. This time (to my bad luck) they had a mid sized lobster and offered it to me for 1400. Recalling the debacle with the prawns the previous week, I very specifically asked for a simple butter garlic preparation. I even went and told the chef. They seemed to understand what I meant and I said "absolutely no masala".

Imagine my shock when I was served chinese garlic lobster! The lobster shell arrived and along with it, a plate of lobster pieces, each nicely coated in some red chinese sauce. The waiter proudly claimed it was the butter garlic preparation. When I explained that I wanted a plain lobster seasoned with just some garlic and butter, he said I should have ordered barbeque. Hmm.

However, the taste of the dish wasn't that bad at all. Lobster is not as tasty as crab so after removing the majority of the chinese batter coating and the garlic, the spices made it a reasonably tasty. Naturally my wife found this hilarious and said how nice it was to be a vegetarian.

So if these characters get their act together, it can be a decent sea food experience. Perhaps that's expecting a lot.

• Visited February 2013

Coimbatore
“Terrible!”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Terrible! That single word would summarise it all! Filthy interiors, horrible food, sloppy service and very unhygienic. We went there as our driver recommended this place to us. Oh my God! We curse the driver till this day!

Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Tasty but expensive”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Food is good, servise is ok but this place is little overpriced. Lemon rice here is the best we have tried in India. Try the prawns carry in wine sauce too. So good place to have a dinner, don't miss.

• Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
“okay food, nothing to sing about”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

the food is reasonably prices and good - but it's not amazing and you will not remember it forever. they have fresh fish and shellfish downstairs that you can have cooked up but the crab I got was actually under-cooked and i had to send it back. even after getting it back a second time it was under-cooked. the fish curry was not great. the prawns and spring rolls were good. nice to sit upstairs on the deck and drink a haywards, though.

Visited March 2012
Hyderabad, India
“Good food”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I like the see food variety... you could pick the fish and they would cook it for you the way you want it.

Visited September 2012