“Punta Sal Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Parque Nacional Punta Sal Day Trip from Tela
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Tela
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: As the unique leaders in trips on the Caribbean North Coast of Honduras, we at Garifuna Tours offer specialist eco-adventure tours to a variety of National Parks in the surrounds of Tela and La Ceiba. In addition, we embark on the harder to come by excursions - to exquisite destinations such as Cayos Cochinos, Los Micos Lagoon, Copan, Pulahpanzak and many other places in Honduras an Central America.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Punta Sal Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I recently took a tour to Puna Sal with Garifuna Tours and I loved it!!! The boat ride across the bay of Tela was beautiful. I couldn't believe when the dolphins appeared out of nowhere and followed the boat. Our guide Allan was very polite and knowledgeable, he also spoke perfect English.We did a short hike where there were many howler monkeys making noises (wow). The plant life is also amazing. We then took the boat to a beach where we went out and did snorkeling. The water was crystal clear and the quantity of fish and live coral impressed me! At lunch time we went to another beach where we had a fish lunch with rice and beans and fried plantain mmmmmmm. Try the coconuts!! I would definitely recommend this tour!

Visited August 2012
5 Thank AllanSM

Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Tour to Punta Sol”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I took the tour to Punta Sal recently and was very pleased. I'd go again.
The ride across the bay from Tela is a little rough but worth it.
The English-speaking guide, Mauro, was good and had a good sense of humor.
The walk through the Jeannette Kawas Park was worth the time - though a little more time would be nice.
The beach at Cocolito for swimming was good. The only problem is that they offer what I think is an over-priced lunch and over-priced drinks. You might bring your own.
Wear swim suit since there may be opportunities for snorkeling and swimming. If you go through the tunnel of love, be sure to wear a life jacket; the waves can test even a good swimmer.
I'm looking forward to another visit to Tela and Punta Sal.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank JohnD1947
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Well-organised and varied tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

We took the Garifuna Tours trip to Punta Sal recently in a small group of six people. We really enjoyed the long trip across the bay to the point which gave us a great view of the wider landscape around Tela. Our guide was excellent and clearly knew where to look for the wildlife. We saw large spiders, crabs, termite nests and lots of howler monkeys during our 40 minutes approx. I would have preferred the walk to be twice as long but my husband was already having difficulty due to back problems so it was quite enough for him. Then the boat took us on a lovely trip around the point where we saw pelicans and other seabirds up close. The snorkeling was a bit disappointing as there was very little to see so we all came ashore quite quickly and then had too much time sitting around waiting for lunch then just waiting for the boat back at two, as it was really too hot to do anything else. However, we found a whole colony of howler monkeys in the trees just behind so spent a good hour watching them move from tree to tree and taking photos.The lunch is rather plain, no haute cuisine, just basic local food, fried plantain, fish, beans and rice. The Cocolito beach is very pretty but unfortunately rubbish strewn as are so many of the beaches around Tela. I think GarifunaTours should suggest to the family who occupy the beach that a good clean-up around their houses would be a great idea.

3 Thank Aominedinburgh
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Garifuna Tours made my trip to Tela exciting!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Honduras can be tricky when you try and get tours, there are serious companies and freelancers, GARIFUNA TOURS is one of the pros, I scheduled my trip all through email exchange and I could actually confirm and PAY my tour online with all security, the tours I did were Punta Sal and Cayos Cochinos ! They were breathtaking ! The staff knew exactly what they were doing and they have their own boats and buses, looking at negative comments I can say that OBVIOUSLY they cannot be responsible for the Sea tides! Anyways Thank you all at GT ! Cheers !!!

Visited March 2012
3 Thank Laura E
Saint Paul
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“2 great excursions in 2 great days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

I went on two tours with Garifuna; one to Punta Sal and one to Punta Izopo. I found both to be great trips that were totally worth the cost. For the trip to Punta Sal Mauro was our guide, I found him to be helpful and informative. He was excellent a scouting animals on the hike and his English was good and pretty easy to understand, there are a couple words that were challenging. He's a trained biologist and well qualified. Ask him about the animals he's nursing back to health in his home :-)

There is some misinformation on the Garifuna tours website so I would call or email to check if there are any changes. For example I asked about the Tela 3 day ecopass, but they have a more recent one that includes cayos cochinos and the two puntas, but its not listed on the website, this lead to some rather confusing email exchanges as I was expecting to be booked for Laguna de los micos instead. But we got it figured out.

The trip to Punta Izopo was great as well, we kayaked through narrow backwater channels, but I will say its better to go with a small group. There were two very noisy fighting siblings with most likely no boating experience trying to steer their 2 person kayak and scaring away all of the wildlife. Its random chance who you are with. It worked out for me though because I was in the same kayak as the guide so I got to see the animals before they could scare them away. I would say if you are going to bring your kids, make sure that they can be quiet, and put an adult in the back of the kayak with each one to steer, so that there is no conflict. The guide was very quietly telling me stories about other sibling issues that he had witnessed (including one that ended with one hitting the other with a paddle). I can't remember our guide's name for that day, but his English was great.

Overall I think this company is a great option and my expectations were met if not exceeded.

Visited December 2011