“Hotel sherwood”

Hotel and Restaurant Sherwood
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Tela
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Nice hotel with great staff decent location nice pool overlooking the bay . Great restaurant great food decent prices.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 7, 2012

Hotel Sherwood is a reasonably-priced property which suits Honduran standards. Sufficiently comfortable for international travelers. Reasonable food and service. Nice location on town beach. Veranda is great place to sit. Staff is friendly with some who speak English. Hotel is almost always in some state of renovation or repair.

Room Tip: Rooms on beach tend to be quieter on weekends.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John H
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We ended up here as we were arriving in Tela a day earlier and our booked hotel was full. A travel agent in Tela got us a room at the last minute at an extortinate price. The hotel is mid way through a refurb by the looks of things - new aircon in the rooms, nice terrace restaurant, new tvs - but no real indication of it continuing. They should have started with the basics - the plastic/enamel was peeling off the bath, the bamboo blinds didn't fit the windows and let in lots of light. The place didn't feel secure as anyone could walk in and the rooms didn't have v good locks. The only positive is the view of the beach/ocean from the room but we didn;t want to spend any time in the room so didn't get the benefit. Would not recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Diane_Ldn
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The location of this hotel is great,just off the beach. However,the rooms are in need of serious refurbishment. The bathroom was an unpleasant experience with the bathtub dirty. It was expensive too at $70 so we moved to another hotel after one night,which was not only cheaper but so much better!

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank nomadicnomad
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Hotel Sherwood was great! It was on a nice and CLEAN beach in Tela. The people who worked there were very accommodating, even let us keep a room in order to shower after returning from Jeanette Kawas National Park. I would definitely recommend staying there. We liked Tela better that La Ceiba.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I found Hotel Sherwood to be Highly disappointing.
Stayed 1 Night and Paid $45 usd per night For a Double Room all taxes and fees included.

CHECK IN:Check in was smooth,but the Lobby & front Desk only had one person working.I reserved my room over the phone the Night before arrival.I should of known something was wrong when The Receptionist lowered the posted room price from $60usd to $45usd.I didn't think too much of it as I had told him that we were celebrating my birthday and that's why why has chosen to come to the beach.

ROOM:The Room was quite small,had paint chips everywhere,smelled funny,No Hot water,Broken Bathroom curtains didn't have towels or toilet paper or any of the Typical Hotel amenities.On a Positive Note when I called the Front desk they promptly brought these items to my room.The Room was equipped with a Modern Cable TV,Phone,wifi and working AC.The bed was Comfortable.

HOTEL:The Hotel is Located right On Tela beach,while the Hotel setting could be idyllic it seemed more like it was deserted.There was some sort of construction going on,the Hallways were Dark& Dusty.We thought OK we wont be spending much time in The Hotel anyways so went ahead to check out the Pool,to Our disappointment the Pool was very dirty,it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks full of leaves,slime in the water and full of dead insects.The Beach around the Hotel wasn't any better..OK I don't expect a Public Beach to me immaculate but I do expect the Hotel to at least clean their beach area,this was not the case with this Hotel.The sand was full of Garbage such as Paper plates,empty Bottles.The water was Nice & warm though.The Hotel Had a Restaurant area which never seemed to be Open so we ended up eating elsewhere.When the reason for picking this Hotel was to just relax at the Pool & Beach & not have to go outside to eat.

OVERALL:I was Highly disappointed by Hotel Sherwood especially considering that I consider myself to be very laid back & Happy with the Bare Minimums.What I do hate is to be lied to and if you advertise yourself as a 3-4 star Hotel you should at least Have a Clean Pool.We had reserved for 3 nights but after the First night we decided to leave to another part of Honduras.

I found Hotel Sherwood to be Highly disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I stayed at Sherwood as part of a Medical mission to Tela this year. The hotel is right on the beach with a protected veranda, nice view. Very safe. The beach is pretty, warm water, but a fair amount of litter strewn about.
The food was all prepared for us as a group so I cannot comment on the dining experience form a normal guest point of view. Generally the food was fairly good, limited selection, but no one on the trip got ill, suggesting that the kitchen did a good job with food prep.
Rooms are somewhat small, but I suppose what one would expect in a very poor country with few resources. Beds comfortable, plumbing rudimentary. Housekeeping staff very attentive and thorough.
Overall, I suggest keeping expectations realistic and be pleasantly surprised. I give a 4-star because I would not expect this type of experience in a town such as this. Sherwoood, the owner, is very accommodating. The town of Tela is really not worth much time, and if it were not for the mission headquarters there, I would not be a repeat visitor.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business