“Ruined Vacation in Tela”
Review of Hotel Playa Bonita

Hotel Playa Bonita
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Tela
near NYC
“Ruined Vacation in Tela”
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Writing this review of the hotel knowing someone will just write a response stating how great the hotel is. This is my experience posting on Trip Advisor so far. People like us who are true travelers write with real experiences then someone who is associated with the hotel write with a glorious review..

Honestly I did not expect much of the hotel since it was something like $65-70 a night. We wanted to spend our last two nights in Honduras in Tela and just wanted to focus on touring the national park or exploring the bionetwork of canals/ lagoons by kayak.
We arrived early evening and went to bed 9pm expecting to get up early. Our room was on the ground floor. We were woken up 2am by fowl stench-specifically feces mixed with urine. The toilet or something was over flowing due to power outage or flooding. It had been raining/ thundering very hard for the past few hours...We immed. opened the windows but this did not help as all the rooms on the ground floor was suffering from the same fate and had the windows open emitting fowl gas from within.
After packing frantically thinking it might be a hurricane, we went outside to the hallway where some of the guests were being moved to the 2nd floor. We saw a man who seemed to be the owner so we asked if we could move up as well. He asked how many we were and we told him including our two young kids, four. He wanted to check on the availability and get back to us. After what it seemed like 15-20 minutes, he said there were no more rooms on the 2nd floor and that he was cleaning and getting one of the ground floor room for us. I told him this was not acceptable as the stench and sewage gas was everywhere on the 1st floor. After another 10-15 minutes, (all the while our kids were sleeping in the room, breathing in the stench) he said he had a guest room in his own suite that we could move the kids into. In the end our two kids and my husband ended up sharing the two twin beds and I got on a cot. It was around 3am and though the room was incredibly noisy due to the ceiling fan and the back up generator we fail asleep.

Morning came we decided to leave b'cos we just did not think the hotel was sanitary. The hotel staff did clean with disinfectant but we could still smell the feces in the hallway.

We could have gone on the 8am tour but since it was not over until 3pm we did not have time to pack our belonging properly and get our very exhausted kids ready. We decided to go back to San Pedro Sula to spend the day there for our flight the next day.

Basically our 5 hr drive from Copan Ruinas to Tela was a complete waste.

Maybe it was weather factor but when we asked the owner why the hotel did not put us
in a 2nd floor room (obviously open since he was moving people @ 2am) he said b'cos the rooms were not ready. Huh?l We checked in a 6:30pm. This did not make sense. It would of saved all of us a lot of aggravation. Also the owner did not introduce himself and offer us the best/ quickest solution but waited around until we approached him with our problem. We do not believe better hotels such as Telamar had this problem. Bonita maybe a budget smart hotel but this situation should not be acceptable by the owner.

I was very appalled to find out,bk on the road, that my good natured husband paid full price for the night. The owner 'generously' took off what we ordered for dinner ($5 tortilla snack) and extras @ breakfast ($4). I would not of paid at all since we did not get much sleep nor did we sleep in a double room.

To be fair this hotel is located in a quiet part of Tela and a nice beach is only one block away. (though when we walked over the night of our arrival, it was littered with garbage).

We travel all over, have an open mind when we travel but this had to be our worst travel experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank sebbynearNYC
Caragon, Manager at Hotel Playa Bonita, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Our apologies for a situation beyond our control.

Early morning of friday July 23, 2010 recorded one of the strongest storms of recent times in Tela. Electric power was interrupted for five hours and the sewer system in the neighborhood collapsed, causing odors in the entire sector.

Some guests traveling alone, asked to be located on the second floor where we had available only rooms with one bed. Since we had no rooms with two beds, we provided a room in our own apartment to the complaining family .

We set a grievance to responsible for the sewer system and have also taken our own steps to ensure that the problem does not recur in the hotel.

The tropic is not always predictable.

We strive to satisfy our guests and deeply regret the inconvenience caused by an act of nature.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Costa Rica
Reviewed March 16, 2010

my husband and I stayed at playa bonita for over a week was very relaxing for us.
the food is amazing it has a unique carribean taste that I had no experience before.
The rooms were clean every day and the placed decorated with a unique taste also.
I read some of the others reviews and let me tell you one of them is very wrong to me because the place is very clean and the service is very good too at least with us they were very nice and the downtown of tela is not that far and is nice to be a little away from the noise and so close to the beach.
another plus is internet they have wireless so thats a big plus on this days.
the pool is little but big enough to have a fresh and relaxing moment.
About the key that I also read on one of the reviews to us was a plus to leave the key at reception because we don't have to worry about it when we went to places such as the beach and other ones around.
to us was a very nice hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AH2312
Milwaukee
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Let me first start off by saying that I would consider myself a seasoned traveler in that I travel internationally (mostly to Honduras) about every 2 months, just so you have that background. I can pretty much stay in anything, so luxury is not necessarily always my thing, although I do like it on occasion and would also say I have good taste when it comes to it. My trip to Tela was for a honeymoon with my wife, so I wanted to give her something really nice, and with all the good reviews of this place, i thought this was going to be the place. This was my second trip to Tela, and the last one was within 6 months, so not much has changed since then. When we got there, I couldn't believe it. It was so small and way on the outskirts of town, where it is REALLY dark at night and nowhere to go. If you don't have a car, don't pay any more than 20 Lempiras each way per person, otherwise you are getting ripped off. I wouldn't walk to town ever as it is quite far too walk. So, the only thing this hotel has going for it in terms of location is within walking distance (very close) to the nicest beach in Tela, Telamar. In my opinion, this hotel is WAAAAAY overpriced, even for Honduran standards. If you have never been to Honduras, yes $65/night seems really cheap when we compare them to what we're used to, but you can get the best of the best for that price, and this most certainly is not that. The rooms are ok, bot big at all. They have a TV and supposedly wireless internet if you bring a laptop, but I didn't have one to verify if it works. The pool is actually funny to mention because I think one stroke each way would be enough to paddle you across. It is more like the size of a giant hut tub, not kidding. Although a pool is not important at all to me, I just think they have it so they can say they have it. Everyone has been saying the staff is so nice there, but I thought they were cold and unfriendly. The woman when I got there didn't smile or say welcome or anything like that. There was NO ONE else there, so that should have told me right there. A couple other caviots: You can't bring in food or beverages, if they catch you it's a 20% surcharge on top of your bill for that day. Also, this is the worst part: YOU HAVE TO TURN IN YOUR KEY TO THE FRONT DESK WHENEVER YOU LEAVE THE PREMISES! I have never heard of that in any hotel, anywhere in any country. I didn't eat at the restaurant, so I can't comment on its flavor. Go eat at a local comedor if you want good food. If you want a good deal, stay at the Hotel Marsol. They charge 540 lempiras, 500 if you can negotiate and speak WELL in Spanish. But that's about $28 and it has free internet with a computer for you. It is right in town. Has hot water and really cold air conditioning if you don't like the Tela heat. The rooms there are clean and the people watch out for you and your car if you have one. We switched to that hotel after the first night and my wife loved that one waaaay more, AND IT WAS LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE. So, save your money and stay somewhere in town and then your options are limitless and you don't have to pay for a cab whenever you go somewhere or do anything. But I do not recommend this hotel. If you want a luxury American type hotel, stay at the Telamar hotel. It costs a little more than this one and it is more like an American resort if that's what you are looking for. Also, I have heard good things about the Hotel Presidente.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank racer3456
Caragon, Manager at Hotel Playa Bonita, responded to this review, February 28, 2010
We value all comments and in our staff meetings are matter of analysis and action plans.

On our website we clarify that we are a small hotel. We are not down town but in walking distance of 15 minutes or 4 minutes by taxi. Most of our guests considered it a plus because we are in a quiet and peaceful area.
The $ 65 / night are for two people including tax and four options for breakfast. The room complies with European and American standards in size, quality and accessories for a double bed facility, and all the advertised services are provided.
If the guest prefers or accept a room with one double bed for two people, we respect his decision.
For health reasons we discourage but not prohibit the introduction of food in the rooms, as well as we recommend to avoid eating cooked food on the street.
We also ask the guest to leave the room key at front desk because a long experience in missing keys on the beach.
As a policy if our hotel does not meet the guest expectations, we help him to locate one that fits his needs.
Hotel Playa Bonita Management
Boulder, CO
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at Hotel Playa Bonita for two nights during Honduran Independence weekend. The rooms are large, updated and clean. The hotel staff is very helpful for selecting and organizing tours. The restaurant within the hotel has amazing food, the sopa de mariscos was the best we had in Honduras, there was a whole red snapper in the bowl. Carlos the owner was extremely friendly, helpful and speaks English in case you are in a pinch. He even woke up at 5am to drive us to the bus station . The location was great for getting to the beach. Taxi to town is about $2 USD, or about a 15 minute walk. It was nice to be further away from town as it is very busy and loud. The swimming pool is small but with the ocean just down the road you don't really need it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
MA
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Playa Bonita is a superb, cozy, friendly, and little peace of heaven located 1 block from the beach and minutes from downtown Tela.
If you are looking for a clean, comfortable, friendly, helpful, honest and safe place to stay, look no further~ Playa Bonita offers that and much more! The cuisine is exquisite, the rooms spacious, clean and the staff is top notch! I have had my share of travels and have never had the attention, service and courtesy me, my daughter, and friends experienced at Playa Bonita.
The owner, Don Carlos, and the staff are amazingly helpful and will cater to whatever your little heart desires (and then some). For example, I merely mentioned that I had no batteries for my camera and without asking he went and bought some for me. During our stay, he recoomended places to visit depending on what we shared we were interested in doing. I can't say enough about this little piece of heaven~ I highly recommend it and will return again and again, whenever I visit Tela in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Winthrop, Massacchusetts
Reviewed June 27, 2009

This hotel was a gem. The owner, Don Carlo, is a most gracious host. The hotel is clean, bright, peaceful and beautifully decorated by Don Carlo's wife. The room was very comfortable with A/C, Cable, hot water and a tastefully tiled bathroom. The staff is gracious. The distance from Tela, a very bustling town, is perfect: a pleasant 10 minute walk on the beach or a $2.00 taxi ride. The beach is lovely; white sands and big waves. The cost is incredible and includes delicious full breakfasts. This was especially noteworthy when compared to it's neighbor right on the beach, the Hotel TelaMar, which is beautiful but lacks the warmth of Playa Bonita. There were evenings when we just sat around and drank and laughed with friends of the owners. We managed a trip to Punta Sal which was great fun, snorkeling and hiking. We also visited a Garifuna village and the Botanical Gardens; both interesting sites and illustrative of Honduras's culture and tropical environment. It did rain but not much. June is the beginning of the rainy season.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Tela was the last stop on my first trip to Honduras. I am glad that I chose to stay at the Hotel Playa Bonita, which is ideally located in a quiet and safe area just outside the main town. It is half a block from the best beach in Tela and a $1 cab ride takes you into town in 3-4 minutes. The hotel's rooms are clean, modern, comfortable and air conditioned. Breakfast and taxes are included in the price, which makes this hotel a good value. In addition to the breakfasts, I enjoyed a lunch and dinner at the Playa Bonita and I highly recommend the food. The Playa Bonita's fried fish dinner was delicious, and as good or better than dinners I had in some of the best known and most popular restaurants in town. All this made the hotel a delightful place to stay, but it was Carlos Aragon, the owner, who made my visit so special. He was very helpful and informative. I learned much about Tela, and its history, and its plans for the future from him. He was very generous with his time, and my experience was much richer because of the help and good advice that he offered. Thank you, Carlos, I wish that I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tela
Telamar Resort
Hotel Boutique Posada Las Iguanas
Sueno Del Mar Resort
Sueno Del Mar Resort
#8 of 8 in West End

Been to Hotel Playa Bonita? Share your experiences!