“Great find in Batumi”

Ukraine
Ranked #37 of 233 Restaurants in Batumi
Cuisines: European, Ukrainian, Eastern European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is located in the city center, in the Old Batumi (next to the harbor). Ukrainian-styled interior, cozy atmosphere and friendly staff offers its guests a pleasant atmosphere. Great choice of dishes is composed of the Ukrainian, Georgian and European cuisine. Visit the restaurant Ukraine - welcoming reception, the diversity of the menu and friendly atmosphere will fully satisfy you!
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Not sure why this restaurant is #34 and the other one is #1 *given that it's run by the same folks and the menu is the same.* Personally, I'm giving the nod to this location -- right next to the Peace Corps/expat hangout Press Cafe, a short walk from the Radisson (c'mon, this is Batumi, a short walk from anywhere) and a warm and welcoming environment with very good Ukrainian chow. While I'm not from that part of the world nor can I call myself a connoisseur of Eastern European cuisine in general, I do know good, and in a place with the limited options of Batumi, these folks will be seeing a lot of me, and here's why.

First, the place is actually nicely decorated - the lovely Ukrainian embroidery sets the theme and the colors of red and black and white are thoughtfully carried out throughout the restaurant. In a country with a marked absence of little or no wall decoration or interior design whatsoever, this cheery venue lifts the spirits merely upon entering. Secondly, the warm hospitality of the staff. Our waitperson yesterday came over immediately, got us menus in record time, brought the beverages quickly, explained the menu options carefully, expressed opinions - in short, all the good things that Georgian restaurants are on the fast track to doing soon but haven't always achieved consistently. Third, the food was simply good, and I mean that in all ways, simple and good. I had the regular borscht (not the Ukrainian borscht with ham which I was warned away from because it is fatty), and it was perfect. I followed it with the stuffed peppers, and again, they were everything I could have hoped. Oddly, the Ukrainian beer was unavailable (I'll have it next time), and I'll plan ahead by fasting for a couple days in order to try a greater variety of dishes.

1  Thank Pen_Princess
There are newer reviews for Ukraine

Reviewed October 18, 2012

It is funny to see that ukrainian restaurant is #1 by TA at Batumi (Ukrainochka), but thats true - they serve good food. While I have not expected amazing meal at Ukraina (loated closer to the port and main hotels), I was truly amazed when I got all like home - pea soup, salo (smoked and salted), pickled vegs, varenyky with cherries (just a bit thicker pastry from the excellent one), buckwheat cereal, pickled and fresh cabbage salads - EXCELLENT! And also the service - waitress was kind. nice, smiling and efficient. Insofar it is absolutely best restaurant in town! Gonna live there :-)

1  Thank AndersUA
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I was invited there by a Georgian friend. We ordered the famous Ukrainian borsh (soup) and it was more than divine and the Ukrainian beer! I do recommend the place.

2  Thank Ziemowit K
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have tried both location, and the food was very good. Also service was not so slow as in some other places.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

During my recent stay in Batumi I traveled back to the restaurant. I actually ate at both locations. The food was never disappointing. The smaller is located closer to the the sea port and is a much more cozy setting. Parties of more than 10 or so should travel just past downtown proper where their newer establishment has plenty of room to accommodate even larger functions with a grand hall located in the upper floor. The entire staff is always friendly. No doubt I will be back when I go there again in August.The Borscht is excellent!

3  Thank John C