“WORST PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED IN.....”

Seaview Gardens Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Kololi
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“WORST PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED IN.....”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've been visiting The Gambia since 2001. I've stayed in cheap places, I've stayed in expensive places, but I've never stayed in a hotel like this before.
On arrival at Seaview Hotel, I gave my name and my travel companion's name. I was asked for a room voucher, which I should have received on the tour operators coach, I do not get the coach as I'm disabled and find the coach ride uncomfortable so I always get a taxi. I explained this. I was told they could not book me in without a room voucher! I provided my booking reference and my ticket showing that I was booked in at that hotel and what date. I was then told they had no room for us! After being ignored and argued with I eventually asked for the number of the Thomas Cook rep on duty that night, it was given to me in a very surly manner and I spoke to Omar who was the rep on duty. He was horrified! After nearly 2hrs of to-ing and fro-ing they said they had made a room available for us, the room in question had a double bed! Now I love my friend dearly but would not consider sharing a bed with her, so we declined. We were moved to a sister hotel called Bamboo! What a horror! The hotel looks good on the surface but that's all it is.....superficial! We were put in separate rooms, 4 and 5. In my room, the window lock did not work and was broken; there were gaps in the window you could see daylight through. The window screen to keep out mosquitoes fell out as I tried to close it. My travel companion, was in the next room and had gone to bed, I went to speak to her, as she went to get back into bed we saw bugs running around on her bed! She has taken photos of this! She has been badly bitten on her eyebrow and her leg which necessitated medical treatment because her eye was so swollen the following morning she could not see out of it!
Anyway back to my room at Bamboo! Having seen bugs in my friend's bed, I refused to sleep in mine as I didn't know what I would find, so I spent the night sitting in a very uncomfortable chair.
In the morning I decided to have a wash and a shower, the wash basin tap had no water coming through so I had to use the shower but decided not to shower as it would be too dangerous for me. Breakfast consisted of what amounted to bread cheese, ham, jams and tea and coffee. I do not eat meat. We asked for an egg and beans, we were given and egg and 1teaspoon of beans!
We moved back to the original hotel, we had booked which at the time of booking we were told it was a better class of hotel than Palma Rima which we had previously stayed at and was on a par to Senegambia. Having stayed several times in Senegambia I can say without a doubt it certainly is not!
The room we were in was on the ground floor which was good, you had a lovely view of the pool, again which was good, but at the back of the room was a 50ft brick wall, which blocked out any light so we had to constantly use the light inside the room as it was dark constantly!
Breakfast was abysmal! No matter what time we went to breakfast there was very little of anything and it was never replenished. On the first morning I asked for beans and eggs, I was told there would be a charge! On the second morning they had to send someone to the shop to get a tin of beans! I explained that this was my standard breakfast when I stayed at Palma Rima and there was no extra charge for this. I was told I was lying by the Thomas Cook Rep Lamin and by the Hotel owner. I was told I was receiving special favours, because we know someone one! This I found to be very disrespectful and insulting! It just so happened that I had the number for the food and beverage manager so I called him to explain what was available for guests at Palma Rima at no extra charge!
On the third day of my holiday I asked to be flown home as I was so unhappy in that hotel
I now need another holiday to get over this one!
Personally I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and certainly would not be staying there again!
I've now complained to the Tour Operator and I'm awaiting an outcome!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank justjemas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
London
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel is marketed by holiday companies as 4 star - hotel indeed classified as 4 star but would rate it closer to 2 star.
Hotel was clean and most of staff friendly but found rooms to be dark and dingy. As stated breakfast was rather basic. Fortunately very few guests in hotel so any orders for eggs etc... were prepared speedily - although would expect longer waits in higher season.
The rooms around the swimming pool were first subject to noise from bar opposite. A considerate crowd of Brits thought it funny to party and run around hotel until 5 am. The rooms backed onto waste ground and a garage. The garage had a very loud generator which which was often operational late into night and early mornings.
I would say there are much better and cheaper hotels to stay in Kololi area. Unlikely to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank wanderin_star

Travelers are raving about these Kololi hotels

nottingham
Reviewed April 22, 2013

After more than 10 trips to The Gambia my friend and I decided to try this Hotel. BIG MISTAKE. We arrived here to be told that we had not booked. We showed our booking reference but was diverted to another Hotel ' Bamboo Hotel ' until it was resolved at which point I got to bed at 2am after landing in Banjul at 7pm.I was given a room with a big double bed and so was my friend. After 30 minutes in bed I was itching and then my friend knocked at my door. I got out of bed to see bed bugs crawling into the bamboo bed frame. My eyebrow and leg were bitten and the next day both were up like a balloon and I needed antibiotics. I was fuming. I returned to Seaview the next morning to see what was happening and they said that we could now go back there and that the receptionist had given our room to someone else. After a day lost I was hoping things would get better. Some wish .The breakfast at this Hotel is the worst I have ever seen. Bread rolls, a bit of cheese and 1 choice of fruit is your lot. The room was clean but very very dark. All the English were complaining. The drinks were 50 dalasi at the bar in comparison to 20 on the strip. To get a sunbed was a mission, the pool boy looked at you funny if he actually had to work. The English were complaining that the bar staff were keeping there change. I will never ever return to this Hotel. The rooms are clean and its a good location but there is nothing else in its favour at all. The staff are disorganised and corrupt. Disgraceful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank NottinghamAli
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just back from our 2nd visit to seaview gardens. The hotel is near enough to all local facilities yet far enough away to escape the busy strip were the restaurants and bars are. Yes as previous travellers have said the breakfast is poor, u can request eggs but only have choice of boiled or omelette, we had a cuppa and an egg each day. The rooms are basic and cleaned daily but we only wanted to sleep and shower in there so more than sufficient. We will be returning next year too.

• Stayed March 2013
UK
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We have just come back from our second visit to Seaview Garden Hotel so we kind of knew what to expect at this hotel but were disappointed to find that the breakfast was still just as poor as last year so we had breakfast out every day so much easier. The rooms are adequate for a weeks stay but could do with a lick of paint and updating a bit and also tea and coffee in your room would be great. I was also ill
for 3 days and at first we didn't get much help from Reception but one of the guys behind the bar was Red Cross so he helped us and then called a cheap doctor who came to see me and got me some medication and even called me on his day off to see how I was I don't think many staff/people know he is Red Cross! Lamin who cleans the pool and looks after the sun beds is lovely and always happy to see you every day. We spent a lot of time at the Seaview Beach Bar which is a short walk from the hotel through the green door, this place is very relaxed but now run by a Gambian woman who isn't very pro-active and sits in a chair asleep most of the time but it's fine for sitting in the sun or shade with drinks and food available all day just sometimes not quite open in the morning when you arrive!
We will definitely be going back to Seaview Garden Hotel next year but probably on a room only basis next time if this is possible!
Michelle & Paul Kinch

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at the Seaview Gardens when I visited Banjul for work. I would stay elsewhere next time.

The staff are friendly but disorganised: they had lost my booking when I arrived.

The remote control for the air conditioning was missing in my room. My room was close to a noisy area in the evenings. Breakfast was very basic. No view of the sea from anywhere in my room or public parts of the hotel, but perhaps it might be possible to get a glimpse from second-floor rooms. WiFi worked sporadically, and only by the pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank flensdk
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hotel operates an annoying con as prices shown for evening special were then subject to VAT!!!! My 430 D bill suddenly became 505D another Gambian con to get more money out of you
All the other restaurants I ate at I did not get charged this VAT so don't eat in hotel unless you want this 17% increase However the meal was good but better food available on the strip 150D meals were charged at 150D

Room Tip: Hotel behind a garage Sea view only available from 2nd floor Air con don't have as they only r...