“It's Port Gentil, Gabon”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Mandji

Hotel Mandji
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Port Gentil
New York City, New York
“It's Port Gentil, Gabon”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Ok, remember the fact that this is Port Gentil, Gabon. The selection of full service hotels are slim to say the least. It is not Le Meridian global standards, would not even say for Africa, but this isn't the capital; its an oil town. Moving past the obvious, the collection of guests was interesting and have to say the overall experience was bizarre because of the clients; myself included. As with most older hotels in the region, they must have been wonderful when first built some 20+ years ago, but the faded glory still adds something to help one get past what the current state is. Rooms were clean and well kept. Restaurant was fine, if not odd, and that more due to the randomness of the guests. Odd that there were no menus in French and the staff defaulted to English, but a quick bit of French and all was well. The staff was pleasant and courteous. The one annoyance was the lack of hot water for three days, but I had mentally prepared for it beforehand and it could have been worse - no water. The lunch buffet with barbeque was great if for no other reason than the salad area; I really missed fresh vegetables. Overall, yes its expensive for what it is.

However, one can always go down the road to one of three supermarkets to stock up a bit. Also just down the road is Le Bistrot, a wonderful little restaurant that seems rather popular with good reason. Food is fantastic, one of the best meals in the country that I had on this tour round with average pricing. All very walkable, even with 12 liters of water.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Lubica R, Director of Sales at Hotel Mandji, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear RNBNY,
On behalf of le Meridien Mandji hotel I want to thank you for sharing your view and for posting your constructive remarks about your experience in our hotel.

We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our staff, restaurant and service, and I will inform them about your comments.

As you mentioned, Le Méridien Mandji was one of the first hotels built up in Port Gentil and is still one of the biggest hotels in town, with the best sea front location and just few steps from the city center. It is true that certain parts of the hotel need refurbishment. This is the reason why progressive renovation of several areas is currently taking place. A complete renovation which will concern every part of the hotel, rooms, as well as restaurant, banquet area, pool, lobby and reception is scheduled for the beginning of the next year and our hotel will regain its past glory.

The problem of hot water shortage is currently being solved as we have just finished the replacement of the entire water distribution pipeline in the hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay.

Dear RNBNY, thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Best regards from Le Méridien Mandji, Port Gentil.

Lubica
Sales & Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

this is not to le meridien standard and damages the rest of the brand. we had lunch at chez Jimmy and wished we had stayed there. the rooms are really run down and need nocking down and starting again, reception staff are not friendly. this place needs a total refurb or should be called something else by le meridien - i will not stay at another meridien based on this experience.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GMMandji, General Manager at Hotel Mandji, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Manwering,

thank you for your review and for your feedback!

Regarding the condition of the hotel, I am pleased to inform you that we will have a renovation coming up. We started already the planning and phasing. As the renovation will take place next year we meanwhile work on certain projects, eg; restaurant, bar and pool deck.

I am sorry if you had a bad experience at our reception and will follow up with my team.

Regarding your lunch experience, the refurbishment work in our restaurant should be finished by end of next week and we will be back in full operation.

Dear Manwering, thanks again for your feedback and please contact me next time you will come to Port Gentil.

Travelers are raving about these Port Gentil hotels

Douala, Cameroon
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Everywhere you put your eye, it will spot something broken. This was in our room 233. I cannot judge for other rooms, but during breakfast after my only night in this establishment, I overheard the conversation of other guests at the next table on similar conditions in their rooms.
In brief, this hotel is not what you would expect from Le Meridien chain.

• Stayed July 2013
Lubica R, Director of Sales at Hotel Mandji, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear sergei69,

On behalf of le Meridien Mandji hotel I wanted to thank you for sharing your view.
As I already mentioned in the personal email I sent you earlier this week, our hotel is the oldest in the city and we are aware that our installations and equipments need renovation. This is currently in progress and we have already planned a major reconstruction for the next year.
I will alert the Technical Service Manager to inspect particularly the room number 233 in order to provide improvements in the quality of the equipment.

Dear sergei69, thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards from Le Méridien Mandji, Port Gentil

Lubica R
Account Director, Sales & Marketing Department
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying here and feel the need to make a review due to the standard of this hotel! I often post on Trip Advisor and I am usually positive and most definatly looking for more than what I pay.

This hotel is the most expensive I have ever been to for the value!
I am on company expenses but I refuse to take the breakfast as it is £15..!! I had lunch today, a buffet was available but I only took salad, break and a can of coke £25. I am not having a Heinikens 275ml £3.80 with a portion of chips £5.
The room is okay but given I am in what they call executive it is a standard room in Europe. It is costing £350 per night.

Nothing more than a 3 star hotel with 5 star premium location hotel in London..!!

Not happy..!!

• Stayed July 2013
GMMandji, General Manager at Hotel Mandji, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Mr. Lee2812,

thank you very much for your review.

I am glad that you still stay in our hotel,therefore we will have the opportunity to discuss your points directly, just a few comments and corrections;

Your comments about pricing - I would agree about the high pricing, IF we would have the same situation like in Europe but unfortunately this is not the case and I will be happy to explain it to you in detail later on.

Pricing

Breakfast; GBP 16.- (15.81 GBP)
Coke: GBP 3.- (2.6 GBP) - I guess there is just a point missing
Heineken Beer GBP 4.- (3.8 GBP)
Chips GBP 6.- (5.9 GBP) - french fries
Lunch Buffet GBP 24.- (23.7 GBP) - full variety of 3 hot meals, cold buffet & dessert buffet

Besides a decimal point nearly all your prices are correct, even more expensive, depending on the conversion rate! However the room rate is far less expensive than the price you mentioned, our rack rate for the room category is GBP 318.- however, your corporate rate is far below the price you mentioned, it is even below GBP 190.- ! As already explained the cost ratio comparing to Europe is just not the same.

You might have seen that we are currently upgrading our hotel in certain areas and additionally we are planing a complete refurbishment for Q1 2014!

Dear Mr. Lee2812, I am looking forward to meet you in person and meanwhile thanks a lot for your feedback.

LE MERIDIEN MANDJI

Florian Walther
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel itself is quite old and in need of a few renovations. However, it is still very comfortable and conveniently located. I stayed here for four nights on the Executive Level as I am a Starwood Preferred Guest. The others in our party stayed on the floor below and they reported the rooms being comfortable as well.
Breakfast and lunch are buffet style and there is some decent food available. Dinner is off the menu. The food is good but the service is terrible. Took about an hour and a half to get our meals, so the rest of the time here we walked down to some local restaurants. There is a good Italian restaurant next door to the hotel. There are plenty of bars nearby and it is a good scene on the weekends here. There is a pool and deck area in the hotel as well which is decent.
Overall, I would stay here again if I was coming to Port Gentil.

Room Tip: Executive Floor and above.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lubica R, Director of Sales at Hotel Mandji, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear ipcollins,

On behalf of the hotel Le Méridien Mandji, we would like to thank you for your positive appreciation of our hotel as well as for your constructive comments.

We are pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay in Le Meridien Mandji and we hope to welcome you again soon.

We are very sorry to read your comments about the service and the staff of our restaurant. We train our employees on a regular basis and try to recruits motivated and skilled people. Please, be ensured that I will share your comments with the head of Food & Beverage department so that we could find solutions to improve our service and guest experience.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are currently renovating progressively the hotel. Le Méridien Mandji is the biggest hotel in town and it was also one of the first hotels in Port Gentil and as you noted, we needs refurbishment . A larger renovation is planned for the beginning of the next year, which will concern every part of the hotel, rooms, as well as restaurant, banquet area, pool, lobby and reception and we will have a complete new hotel.

Dear ipcollins, thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards from Le Méridien Mandji, Port Gentil

Lubica R
Account Director, Sales & Marketing Department
County Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I read all the reviews on Trip before leaving the uk and arrived not expecting much and laden down with insect repellents etc. I am delighted to report that one week in and I am having a very comfortable and pleasant time. The hotel is under renovation. Some rooms are almost complete, fortunately we are staying in one of these. The bed and linen are excellent, the curtains thick to block out most light, the room is clean and the Ac works perfectly. My one complaint is that although there is space allocated for a fridge - it has not yet arrived and is missed.

The staff, from reception, to cleaning and the pool attendant are very friendly if at times a little relaxed. The pool is very pleasant and family friendly with kids swimming lessons each afternoon which is really quite entertaining. The foyer is open and pleasant with attractive decoration. I find the bar and restaurant not very appealing but I guess they are next on the renovation programme as the work has begun on the outside of the pavilion. The outlook of the hotel is really pleasant - attractive mature gardens giving onto the seashore. It's a shame the shoreline is tainted by the port activities so you cannot swim on the beach but it is a pleasant walk (10 minutes)/ jog to the nearest supermarket, wine bar and restaurant. All in all a merciful relief and a very relaxing stay but please may I have a fridge???

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crystaltips04
GMMandji, General Manager at Hotel Mandji, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear crystaltips04,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

It is pleasant to read comments highlighting the positive aspects and being constructive at the same time.

Of course I will share your comments and feedback with my team. The friendliness is something you will always experience in Gabon, however the relaxed way as well – even though we try to minimize it as much as possible.

The kids swimming classes are part of our community involvement program and actually our way to say thank you for the support of the community in Port Gentil.

Regarding the renovation work; I am glad you recognize the efforts from our side – In 2014 we are planning a major renovation of the entire hotel, meanwhile we are investing especially in public areas.

For your next visit I would suggest you to visit Sogara or Cap Lopez, the beaches there are really pleasant and relaxing – also very nice to have a walk and a good way to experience the beauty of Gabon.

Dear crystaltips04, once again thank you for your feedback and please let me know when you come next time to the Le Méridien Mandji - I will ensure that you have a fridge in your room and I would be pleased to meet you in person.

Sunny greetings from Port Gentil to Egypt

LE MERIDIEN MANDJI

Florian Walther
Paris, France
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel does not belong in the Meridien chain. Rooms were horrendous, very musty, there was mold everywhere, the A/C was VERY noisy, the smell was horrible, there was no fridge, no hair dryer, no safe, no iron, no complementary water, nothing of what you would expect of an hotel from this chain. The shower curtain was completely torn apart, the water was barely warm, and there was no suspension for the shower head. There was barely any light in the room, which was actually a blessing because I am sure it kept me from seeing most of the stains on the sheets. There was no A/C in the lobby, which made waiting there a nightmare. It took us an hour to check out because none of the credit card machines were working. The restaurant was very average, and the staff there very unfriendly. No spa, no fitness center.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMMandji, General Manager at Hotel Mandji, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear luce_Im_TripA,

thank you very much for your detailed feedback and for coming back to us.

I am sorry for the negative experience in our hotel. For sure there are certain points which will help us to improve our services.

The bottled water for instance is something which should be provided and I will follow up why it was not there.

Regarding the noisy AC; to optimize the temperature in the guest rooms we operate with split units in addition to our centralized AC system - the challenge is that the ventilation system of the outside unit is not as silent as a centralized unit. However, I will check the room you stayed in and we will try to fix it.

I can understand the need of a flexible showerhead, this is the reason why the bathroom set up will be changed in the near future in all rooms.

We are facing issues with creditcard systems, due to the set-up within the country we have no online charging facilities, or lets say we have them, but they simply don't connect - thats why we have to call the bank upon check-out to get a confirmation code for each creditcard.

You are right with mentioning that there is no AC in the lobby - we have a concept of an open lobby whereby it wouldn't make any sense to cool it down. However, also here we do have a new concept in mind and we will change it as well.

All the changes will come up in a complete renovation scheduled for next year. We will include an upgrade of all rooms, the public facilities and also our Banquet area. The entire hotel will get a new look.

During the renovation we will also add a gym and the pool facilities will be redone. However, a spa will not be included within the concept.

Dear luce_Im_TripA, thanks again for your feedback and if you come back to Port Gentil, please let me know, I would be pleased to meet you to get a personal feedback. Also I would be happy to take care about your reservation by myself and welcome you upon check-in.

Florian
#1 of 8 in Franceville
Hotel Tara-Me
Hotel Tara-Me
#3 of 5 in Port Gentil

Been to Hotel Mandji? Share your experiences!