“Not worth it”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Not worth it”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

To being our evening at Te Honu Iti, the driver showed up 15 mins late (every excursion we did the drivers were promptly on time), and without so much as an apology or even a how are you, we hoped in the van and were off. The driver seemed to be very inconvienced that he had to make the trip to the Hilton, and as the drive began, it finished without a welcome to entice us in. The ambiance of the restaurant was what you would expect to find on a small island, and exactly what my wife and I were looking for, in a more cultural experience than resort food. The waiter had the same demeanor as the driver, and did not seemed to be pleased that he had to work this particular Friday evening, simply dropping the menus on the table and walking away. The food was ok, nothing spectacular, and the price seemed to be on par with everything else on the island. Through the meal, the waiter seemed to be completely disinterested in showing the patrons a good time (outside of throwing some bait in the water to attract fish and rays). The meal ended as it had begun, with a disinterested staff watching us leave. The drive back to the Hilton was the most exciting part of the evening, as the driver swerved across the road as he undid his seatbelt to answer his cell phone, and listening to a dog yelp who was unfortunately sleeping on the roads edge (we aren't exactly sure if he hit the dog or not). It all ended as we let ourselves out of the van and watched from a distance as 2 more misfortunate souls hoped in.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Dumas85

Seattle, Wa
“Lovely French Polynesian food”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We ate here during a stay at the Moorea Hilton. The driver who came to collect us was the chef and owner of the restaurant! There were a few other chefs back at the restaurant cooking for the other patrons. We had a nice dinner and excellent food but the service is "French restaurant" multiplied by "island time" so DO NOT go there expecting a speedy meal or fawning waiters. We weren't in any particular hurry but I did feel the service was less attentive than I expect even in France. Luckily the stingrays, fish and occasional reef shark put on a show in the lagoon to keep you entertained.

For starters, husband had French onion soup and I had seafood bisque with a puff pastry crust. The bisque was very good, creamy and flavorful and the puff pastry to die for. The shrimps wound up a teeny bit overcooked but the scallops and whitefish in the bisque were perfect. The onion soup was good, flavorful and well-seasoned, but I personally like the onions to be a bit more caramelized. The broth did not seem to be beef broth, or as rich or intense as we were expecting--Mr. DangerGirl makes French onion soup on a regular basis and we may just be used to his version. The bread and broiled cheese gratinee was excellent.

For the main course we had mahi mahi with vanilla sauce and grilled shrimp in coconut curry sauce. Both were excellent, with an excellent blend of flavors. The vanilla sauce was quite savory, not sweet, other than the natural sweetness of the vanilla. We are already plotting how to make this at home. These shrimps were cooked perfectly, as was the mahi mahi.

Overall this was probably the best meal, food-quality-wise, that we had on Moorea. As noted, the service is FAR from the obsequious-American-chain-restaurant standard but everyone seemed to be treated with the same level of "indifference", including the table behind us that turned out to be a local regular customer. Note that you will have trouble everywhere in French Polynesia if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke. Mr. DangerGirl is, but we were fortunate that on the evening all the smokers were at the other end of the outdoor dining area.

• Visited September 2012
Washington, D.C
“Used to be the best place to eat in Moorea!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Te Honu Iti used to be the best place to eat in Moorea! Unfortunately, not anymore.
Every night, they feed the sting rays and it is a pleasure to see them there.
They are located in Pao Pao next to the store with the same name.

• Visited September 2011
Los Angeles, California
“A good experience”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Good atmosphere, good food. The service was a bit slow, but that is not too out of the ordinary in Moorea. Would I run back there? No, but I wouldn't object to going back.

Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Simply Rude”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were in French Polynesia for 2 weeks covering Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora. We had some great meals, some average meals and this one was not something to remember. Going into the vacation I knew we were not going to get New York, Paris, LA, Madrid, etc level of quality food and were likely to be paying a lot for what we did get. So that said this review has that in mind as well.

We were picked up from the hotel for a free transfer, a good start but what most of the restaurants do anyway. The driver did not utter a word even when trying to converse with him, Once at the restaurant we were the first there and chose a table right on the water front, which was nice. A great view of the bay and also of the rays and fish swimming around close by. The waiter was reasonably pleasant and walked us through the menu and wine choices. I was feeling like a steak having eaten fish for most of the meals and asked for it to be cooked rare (I went into detail about what rare was for me and not to bring it flash grilled, i.e. blue) and the waiter said he understood. The starter came out and was pretty good, a homemade pate, so I expected all would be well.

However when the steak came out I cut into it and it was medium well. Now I am from the UK and my wife the US and with the British reserve, I tend not to send things back and usually keep my mouth shut and putting it down as a bad experience. However I given that the steak was way off I showed the waiter and he took it back to the kitchen. After 5 mins had passed the waiter beckoned me over from the other side of the restaurant. I went over and he took me into the kitchen. Stood in front of me was the chef with the steak cut in half mumbling French at me. The waiter then translated and said this is medium rare. I said no this is medium well and I ordered rare anyway. There was then some more anger from the chef as he muttered turning the other way. The waiter said he would deal with it but then refused to speak with us for the rest of the night like we were being punished

When the steak came this time it was rare and mediocre in quality, but would pass given the meat is flown in. However there was no apology, nor when the check came was there any reduction or offer of one.

Overall the food is average and had it not been for the rude experience I still would have said there are other restaurants (Rudy's and Le Mahogany), which are cheaper, better quality of food and much, much more friendly and will pick you up from the hotel as well.

My advice, put this one to the bottom of your list and go to the other ones first, the people are simply rude.

• Visited July 2012