“Are you kidding?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ghost Ranch

Ghost Ranch
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Abiquiu
More attraction details
Owner description: In a land of shifting light, boundless skies and fused culture, the 21,000 acre Ghost Ranch Education and Retreat Center in northern New Mexico is a place for renewal and retreat. The towering rock walls and vivid colors hold a hypnotic power. This is O’Keeffe Country.Visitors to Ghost Ranch will feel they’ve stepped back in time to days before the bells and whistles of technology vied relentlessly for our attention. People from all over the world come for spiritual development, to discuss issues of peace and justice, to work together in creation care, to paint, write poetry, to hike, ride horseback, to research globally renowned archaeological and fossil quarries… or simply to rest and renew their spirits. With over 300 courses each year, Ghost Ranch provides affordable ways to enrich your mind, body and soul.Available for overnight lodging as well, Ghost Ranch offers rustic , yet comfortable accomodations at a variety of price ranges to fit your budget. Our campground is open mid-May through early October.The Georgia O’Keeffe at Ghost Ranch Landscape Tour brings guests to a restricted area of the ranch to the scenes and actual locations of O’Keeffe’s paintings. O’Keeffe Landscape Tours are available mid-March through late-November. Reservations are required.
Monument, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Are you kidding?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Unless you buy a tour you're treated like second class citizen. I asked to watch the 9 minute video and was told I would have to wait until the tour group came and would have to sit in the back in deference to paying customers. Half an hour later it ran. it was not wort the wait. There's not much in the way of information like in the National Park system that has displays. So I guess unless you buy a tour and get spoon fed what you see you're out of luck. I wonder how Georgia would view this operation? I can see why she chose to live there; it's beautiful. If you want to see where she lived give up your independence and hop aboard the cattle truck. Otherwise goggle it. You'll find more about it.

Visited October 2012
9 Thank travler33560

Granite Bay, CA
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Great Hiking, Amazing Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had done my research about hiking at Ghost Ranch before we arrived, so we didn't require assistance from the people at the front desk. I recommend doing this as I'm not sure the front desk people will help you. It cost $3 per person to go hiking. Bring a hat, sunscreen, lots of water, and lunch.

Hike 1: Chimney Rock. This hike is about 3 miles round trip. The trail ascends to the top of a mesa near the Chimney Rock formation. The trail is well defined and has amazing views of Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu Lake, and the vastness around. There is NO shade at all. We ate lunch at the top. Took about two hours round trip.

We then took a break and went to the Anthropology museum and the Paleontology museum. This was included in the $3 we paid to hike. Both are small museums, but interesting. They had nice restrooms here. We also stopped in at the Ghost House and the Library on our way to our second hike.

Hike 2: Box Canyon. Despite reading several accounts of this "popular" hike, we were surprised by the technical level of this hike and the many ways to get lost (the map does not actually include a trail map, just how to get to the trail head). This trail follows a stream up a canyon for two miles. There is an attempt to mark the trail using painted tin cans, but these are easy to miss and other trails shoot off the main trail. Basically, follow the stream, crossing it again and again and again (usually using rocks in the water). We took one major wrong turn and ended up going in a giant circle. After correcting, we followed the stream. This hike would be best done in boots or good hiking shoes (which only one of us had). It requires stream crossings, climbing over boulders, using a rope to climb a small incline on a rock, and squeezing between two boulders. Much of the trail was muddy. The area is beautiful. The box canyon, when you reach it (after climbing over more large rocks), is a natural echo amphitheater and quite beautiful. Once you reach the stream on this hike, it is frequently shaded, which worked well for the afternoon. Despite our misadventures, we greatly enjoyed the hike and the canyon scenery.

For a total of $6, it was a great value! It is fortunate that Ghost Ranch allows visitors to hike on their ranch.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank Ro11WithIt
cleveland, ohio, u.s.a.
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Unwelcoming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We saw the sign that said "Welcome Center" and "Cafe" and decided to stop for a visit and coffee. The receptionist was unfriendly and seemed surprised when I asked about the cafe. She then said we could get coffee around the corner in the gift shop.

There was an unattended cubbyhole with coffee machines and a sign that said "Pay at gift shop" - the gift shop had mostly low-quality souvenir stuff you'd find anywhere nearby.

No staff person said anything to us without a direct question, and it was unclear as to what we could visit free and what required the $3 fee that was posted near the receptionist desk.

For us, a total waste of time. I'm sure there's more that we could have seen/done, but felt very UNwelcome there.

11 Thank interactive_al
California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Loved it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I truly loved going to this place. We arrived at 10:00 a.m. and went on a short hike, we were the only people on the trail. Later we walked over to the other side where there are studios and housing and the labyrinth. It was so quiet I could hear the wings of the bird over head and the crush of the gravel under foot when I walked the labyrinth. The scenery and quiet solitude was great. I also loved the wooden chairs just sitting in a meadow where one could sit and have lunch (that is if you had the foresight to bring it) /or reflect. It is rustic and probably not for everyone but was my cup of tea. We then drove back to the Cafe where the tours take off from and had a nice lunch. Perhaps we just got there at the right time and it won't always be so peaceful but it was for my moment in time.

4 Thank linnde
ponte vedra
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Serene”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'd always loved Georgia O'Keefe's work, but after exploring the Ghost Ranch where she painted for many summers, I fully appreciate her inspiration. The land is beautiful - meadows, canyons, rocky cliffs .... and nearby Abiquiu Lake. The Ranch is now a retreat center with lots of offerings of spiritual seminars and art exporation weekends. I took the Landscape Tour, walked the labyrinth, and enjoyed the dark night starry sky. Accomodations are clean, adequate and meals served cafeteria style with group seating. This is an adult "sleep over" camp - I will visit again to relax and recharge.

3 Thank Flawanderingwoman

Been to Ghost Ranch? Share your experiences!