“Breathtaking beauty”
Review of Ghost Ranch

Ghost Ranch
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Abiquiu
More attraction details
Owner description: In a land of shifting light, boundless skies and fused culture, the 21,000 acre Ghost Ranch Education and Retreat Center in northern New Mexico is a place for renewal and retreat. The towering rock walls and vivid colors hold a hypnotic power. This is O’Keeffe Country.Visitors to Ghost Ranch will feel they’ve stepped back in time to days before the bells and whistles of technology vied relentlessly for our attention. People from all over the world come for spiritual development, to discuss issues of peace and justice, to work together in creation care, to paint, write poetry, to hike, ride horseback, to research globally renowned archaeological and fossil quarries… or simply to rest and renew their spirits. With over 300 courses each year, Ghost Ranch provides affordable ways to enrich your mind, body and soul.Available for overnight lodging as well, Ghost Ranch offers rustic , yet comfortable accomodations at a variety of price ranges to fit your budget. Our campground is open mid-May through early October.The Georgia O’Keeffe at Ghost Ranch Landscape Tour brings guests to a restricted area of the ranch to the scenes and actual locations of O’Keeffe’s paintings. O’Keeffe Landscape Tours are available mid-March through late-November. Reservations are required.
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Many people recommended that I go to Ghost Ranch during my visit to NM. They were so right. The experience begins while you're driving there. As you near the ranch the regular beauty of NM transitions to the amazing brilliance of multicolored rocks and gorgeous hillsides, bringing to mind southern Utah. At the ranch you have this beauty all around you and realize that once Georgia O'Keefe arrived there, she had no choice but to fall in love and paint what she saw. Speaking of which, while you're at the ranch I highly recommend that you take one of the Georgia O'Keefe tours so a guide can show you the places she painted. I found it very interesting to compare her paintings with the landscape. I also recommend climbing Chimney Rock, as the views are stunning. After that, I found the ranch to be a wonderful place to just stroll around, relax, and take in the peaceful atmosphere. Definitely a place I want to return for a whole week.

1  Thank Terry F
in 6 reviews
"salad bar"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is a wonderful place to hike, enjoy nature and get away from it all! It has some of the most beautiful scenery and trails that I have ever seen! This is a can't miss destination! Check out the pictures!

2  Thank Alexandra P
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I visit this place annually to take a course or do a personal retreat. The beauty and silence are healing for me, and I always meet interesting people. Food is substantial. There is always a salad bar. There are excellent week-long courses for people with many interests, or just go and enjoy the solitude, excellent hiking trails, or the 24-hour library.

4  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We almost didn't go here because the name Ghost Ranch sounded cheesy and touristy (which I guess we think we are not!). So glad we reconsidered. For the amount of effort expended, these are the most breathtaking views we've encountered anywhere. We have the exact same photos as those posted here! The colors of the mountains, well, every color is represented. At the top of Chimney Rock Trail, the vista includes Lake Abiquiu and Mount Pedernal, so in addition to the orange/red/yellow/green/gray/purple of the desert and rock formations, there is the blue of the lake and of course the beautiful NM sky. For the cost, effort and travel involved, this is our new favorite hiking destination.

We are not fans of museums generally, but we thought the museums on Ghost Ranch were particularly cheesy. We also thought the amphiteater down the road from there was pretty so-what after Ghost Ranch.

6  Thank Aujourdhui2