“Pleasant Roadside Surprise”

Bode's General Merchandise
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Abiquiu
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We were on our way from Santa Fe to Ghost Ranch and were getting hungry for lunch. We stopped at Bode's since they had a sign saying "serving lunch" even though it didn't look at all like a restaurant from the outside. This place ended up being pretty cool. We went to the back to put in our orders and looked around while we waited for them to be ready. The store part had about anything you'd need for a road trip and there was a very friendly guy working there who gave us some directions. When we got our food, we were very pleasantly surprised. I had ordered the BLT with turkey and I'm not much of a sandwich person, but this was good enough to convert me. Toasted bread, crispy bacon, and they don't skimp on the meat. I got the salad with it and was happy to see they served an actual salad with baby greens, pecans, and other yummy salad ingredients instead of the chopped iceberg lettuce and a slice of tomato that some restaurants consider a "salad". We sat in the area that's off to the left of the main dining area and that was nice and quiet with further spaced tables.

I did learn the hard way that you're supposed to go pay for your meal while you're waiting and return the receipt to the order taker before you get your food. Oops. I think we might have peeved the female version of Lurch from the Adam's family who was taking food orders that day. I don't know if she's always there, but she was the only part of the experience that wasn't great. And the food was worth her wide eyed expression of irritation (without talking, it was kind of weird).

Overall, Bode's made me wish there was one in every small town when I'm road trippin.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

We often pass through Abiquiu on our way to the mountains. It is a great place to grab a breakfast burrito, green chile cheeseburger, or yummy sandwich--much better than stopping for fast food in Espanola. It is part of a general store which carries everything from dog biscuits to really nice gifts. They have a good ice cream stand in the summer too.

1  Thank MaryandRon
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stopped into Bode's in hopes of finding a corkscrew. We found one plus a lot more. We has fun looking around the General Store. The clerks were friendly and made us feel welcomed.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stopped at this "local" place as it is the only game in town if you are going from Santa Fe to Abique/Ghost Ranch. It is a General Merchandise shop with a sandwich shop/kitchen in the back. It is very popular with workman etc as it is cheap eats with no frills and is the only place for miles.
I had the Frito Pie (never had one, glad I experienced it, now I can die, from clogged arteries). My wife and daughter each got a sandwich with chips. We were only about 45 minutes back to Santa Fe (or even the casino's on 84/285) and we should have waited. To many other choices that would be better. If you must stop to see this local landmark then get an ice cream or a drink and then keep driving.

1  Thank Done4Day
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Dennis and Constance do a great shop providing the locals and visitors with a great General Store offering just about everything for everybody. Bode's Cafe serves wonderful food, cooked to order and self serve in the deli case after hours. Tables inside to mingle with the locals. Specialties....Green Chile Cheesburgers! ~cooked to order, med rare for a real juicy burger. Quality Boars Head Meats and Cheeses. Also great Green Chile Enchiladas and daily specials. Soups, Tamales, Rotisserie Chickens, Salads, Home baked pies and cookies.
Oh and Breakfast Burritos!

2  Thank Jeff B