“AWESOME INN...WONDERFUL STAFF!!!!”
Review of Abiquiu Inn

Abiquiu Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Abiquiu B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2013

In early August 2013, my wife and I were returning from a week in southern Colorado and driving back to our home near Dallas, Texas. We were looking for nice quiet place to spend the night and had planned to stop over in Chama, NM, but due to the crowded Chama Days celebration, we opted to keep on driving farther south. We stopped to look at the scenic Lake Abiquiu and checked the Tripadvisor app on the cell phone for nearby lodging. The Tripadvisor website recommended the the Abiquiu Inn, so we called Inn and spoke to both Tracy and Juan in order to make a reservation and get directions. Upon arriving at the Inn, we noted the scenic setting and cool breeze blowing through the trees like an oasis in the desert. We were warmly greeted Tracy and Juan at the front desk and arranged for a nice room for one night. We went to our room (#5) and loved the decor. It had a great king bed and a gas fireplace and the quiet location on the back side of the Inn was great. We immediately went up to the front desk and asked if the same room was available for a second night, but were advised it was already booked for the next night. My wife asked Juan and Tracy if there was any way we could get the same room again and they graciously rearranged their reservation list to accommodate us for the second night. We ate in the Abiquiu Inn Restaurant for several meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) for the next couple of days and found the food to be very good, but the service to be exceptional. All of the wait staff was attentive and friendly, but we particularly loved Yolanda who's had a vivacious personality. We had several occasions to see Juan and Tracy during our visit and they always greeted us warmly and inquired about our stay. While we were in the Abiquiu area relaxing we toured the area and our favorite attraction was the Christ in the Desert Monastery located in the middle of nowhere. Overall we loved the Abiquiu Inn and plan to return to spend a couple of relaxing nights on our next trip to the area. Thanks again to Juan, Tracy and Yolanda for making our stay at the Abiquiu Inn memorable.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the highway are quieter.
1  Thank HankSibley
Nathan L, Manager at Abiquiu Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Abiquiu Inn! I will make sure to pass your praise onto our staff and we hope to see you back very soon!

Nathan LaPlante
Manager
nlaplante@abiquiuinn.com

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My older sister (lives in New Mexico) treated me (Vancouver Canada)to a night at the Inn and tour of the Georgia O'Keefe house for my birthday the beginning of August. Both of us were delighted with the service and the staff. On our arrival we were greeted at the door and offered a coffee while we waited for our room. Just minutes later with coffee in hand we went to our room and before we had time to settle in were presented with two amazing desserts with birthday candles. "Eat dessert first" we said!. We had the salmon for dinner and the service in the restaurant was excellent - being a West Coaster I know my salmon. The beds and pillows are to die for - where do you get those?! Thank you to everyone for making my special birthday present a wonderful experience for both of us. The best gift to me was how pleased my sister was with how everything turned out - it was a win win all around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kathryn B
Dede_Abiquiuinn, Inn Keeper at Abiquiu Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

FIVE STAR RATING!!! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your great experience at our Café and Inn. We are thrilled we were able to make you Birthday with your sister extra special!!
Come and see us again soon. Happy Trails!! Dede

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is Georgia O'Keefe country. In fact, you can see the property from her house if you know where to look. This is a remote location as far as your electronics are concerned... so you might make some arrangements if you have to keep in touch with civilization every minute. But there is a TV in the room.

We had room #6... spacious and quiet... with a shared garden patio that had a fountain. The bathroom was adequate with the shower water extremely hard so you won't be sudsing up too much. Be sure to check your room if a hairdryer is needed as soon as you check-in.

Breakfast service starts at 7 in the dining room... with a full b'fast menu that's not included in the room price.

The setting, while on the hiway, is quite tranquil as the rooms/casitas are in the woods for idealic location. The staff is helpful.

Room Tip: Book ahead.
1  Thank Hokie67

Thank You for your wonderful comments and for the FIVE STARS! It means so much to us to get an excellent review from a Guest who has traveled so extensively! We appreciate your taking the time to let our future customers know that Abiquiu Inn and the Abiquiu Café rated so high on your list. Happy Trails! Dede

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here overnight on route to Santa Fe. Our room turned out to be a suite, leading on to a courtyard, where a fountain gently bubbled. The food in the restaurant was excellent, both for dinner and breakfast. Do book ahead for a visit to Georgia O'Keeffe's house.

1  Thank Chris77w
Dede_Abiquiuinn, Innkeeper at Abiquiu Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Five Stars! Thank You so much for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so very much. Happy Trails! Dede

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed there and was very pleased with the food and inn. Clean and comfortable
with good tv and good accessories and comfortable surroundings in a very nice place. Located close to Ghost ranch and the scenary in Georgia O'Keeffe territory.

Room Tip: Ask if any large rooms are available
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay. We recently replaced all of our older television system with a new more user friendly remote. We are getting great customer feedback on the new TV's, Direct TV Systems and remotes. Hope you will come back and see us again soon. Happy trails! Dede

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have read through the reviews and see there is a wide range of opinion on this inn and I agree with both ends of the spectrum. First, the good: it is definitely the place to stay if you were going to be spending time exploring art studios in Abiquiu or visiting the Georgia O'Keeffe house. The rooms are large and pleasant, and New Mexican in style, although fairly basic. The restaurant is quite pretty as is the veranda. It is certainly convenient as it is located right off the highway.

The negatives: To begin with, although I had my written confirmation with me, they didn't have my reservation and said they had been "having problems with Orbitz". Unfortunately that became my problem, not theirs. They could accommodate me for only one of my two nights. Frankly after dealing with dour front desk and cafe persons, I was ready to leave. I'm going to mention this one experience because I found it quite shocking:
while I was seated on the veranda waiting for dinner, two of the hotel management types came outside, and sat at the table next to me with a young man who was pleading his case for payment for some kind of musical service or performance. Their tone with a youngster, and simply the fact that they would choose to have such a conversation in the presence of guests, was an unfortunate first in my experience. It left such a bad feeling in my mouth that I would not return to this inn again. Hopefully, management will accept this criticism and not conduct their affairs in public again.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank patientcat

I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your recent visit to Abiquiu.
Thank you for the reminder to be more mindful in discussing private business in a public area that could be overheard by a guest. I am so very sorry to have caused you any discomfort and truly appreciate your calling my attention to this. Hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to prove to you we can certainly do better. Happy Trails! Dede

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed in one of the casitas at the Abiquiu Inn over my 12-year-old son's birthday. The accommodations were beautiful - we had a king-size bed and a full pullout sofa for my children, along with a kitchenette and screened back porch from which to watch the thunderstorms roll in. The rooms have a lot of character, including fireplaces and beautiful regional art. But the really special thing happened when I called to make the reservation - when I mentioned that my son would be having his birthday, the reservation clerk offered to have the restaurant's chef make him a cake! That evening at dinner the very friendly waitress was almost more excited about it than I was - and my son was thrilled. (It was also the best tres leches cake I've ever eaten!) The staff at the inn and restaurant couldn't possibly have been nicer. We will be back!

Room Tip: Although we were traveling with kids who enjoyed it, this isn't really a kid-centered environmen...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Five Stars!! Thank You so very much for the comments about the Service in our café and front desk staff. Hope we get to spend another Birthday with you and your lovely family. Happy Trails!! Dede

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abiquiu
20 mi away
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ghost Ranch Education & Retreat Center
Inn at the Delta
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola

Been to Abiquiu Inn? Share your experiences!