Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Kourou
More attraction details
Owner description: More than 500 launches have left from this vital space center, begun in the 1960s. Guided tours of the facility and its six launch sites are among the region's most popular attractions.
Maraval, Saint George, Trinidad and Tobago
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Quite good”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The visit was free, quite well organised and fascinating. The only problem being that if you aren't French speaking I am not sure that you will be catered for. Our guide was able to answer questions from an English speaking couple. The tour was still done in French. I was with my friend's ten year oldson and he started to get bored because it was a little too technical for him. I recommend older children. Younger ones will like the museum.

Visited July 2013

Bengaluru, India
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 189 helpful votes
“Once in a life time opportunity”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The three launch pads and its surrounding takes you to an another world. The sight of the launch makes you crazy. But be prepared for security checks before going for the visit

Visited July 2013
Pago Pago, American Samoa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

So, I might be American and my first rocket launch was in French Guiana - but that's okay, really. I speak enough French to not get too lost.

We got to see a rocket go up in the air, on a pillar of fire... and then we got to watch the rest of the satellite separation and command and control from the Jupiter Center. The disparity or in-congruency of the whole experience - impoverished equatorial French territory and high-tech launch facility - experienced first hand was interesting. Would I go again? Sure. Would I get a yellow fever shot again to do it... thank goodness I don't have to worry about that little obstacle for another 10 years, but yes - I would.

Visited June 2013
Bedford
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Great visit, great price, but wish they did English Tours”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

If you plan to visit the Space Centre, contact them in advance and book yourself onto their FREE site tour; they're popular, but we were able to book around 3-4 days in advance. The tour starts at 8am with registration *(bring your passport) followed by a 3 hour guided tour in air-con coaches. Depending on events, you'll usually be able to drive to, visit and get out at at least 2 of the 3 launch sites (Souyez, Ariane, Vega), plus the ops and control rooms.

There was a huge amount of information given on the three hour tours, but unfortunately all in French. I speak a little French, so grabbed a few words, but my complaint is that there were 2 coaches and 4 guides, all English speaking, and it would have been nice if one of the guides could have provided english commentary as we drove around. Instead, we listened to French guides for 3 hours, with 3 x 5 minutes of English Q&A. PS. This isn't a criticism of the individual guides, who were fun, friendly and very knowledgeable.

Afterwards you'll be dropped off at the museum; if you ask nicely, members of the tour can get a discount off the musuem entrance (7 Euros down to 4 euros). The museum is great, particularly for children who'll love all the interactive experiences on the ground floor.

Advice:
1.) Book the tour in advance; it's free, and you'll get a discount on the museum entrance.
2.) Take water; the coaches are air-con, but there was no water points on the 3hr trip.
3.) Take a picnic; there was no open restaurant at the site.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank Adrian D
Coral Springs, Florida
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“You don't really go into working areas, mostly drive in a bus, but it's FREE!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I live in Florida and have been to Kennedy Space Center so I had high expectations.

Here's the bad. It's mostly in French. There's a movie you can wear a headset for English, but that's a very small part of the tour.

The good is the sites and the photos you can take of the control room, etc.

I was hoping you could actually stand on the launch site and other places, but so guess do to security reasons.

I wouldn't go back unless there's a launch. But there's not a lot to do in Kourou but this and Devils Island which was way better than the Space Station.

Stay at Hotel Ballyhou! Alan and Charlotte are great and she speaks English!

Alan took us here free of charge.

2 Thank JerryAscione