“Who am I ?”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
Penrith, Australia
“Who am I ?”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

A beautiful spot and some great assets but they haven't quite got it all together yet. Our arrival at the lovely reception or arrival area? not quite sure which and I don't think they are, was ok but no assistance with baggage ( which was not helpful). No phone in the room to ask questions so you have to traipse to the arrival area or other reception ( down a steep hill) to get any information. It appears that they are in transition from one type of accommodation to a more up market one.The room had a lovely view but some trimming of the bushes would have assisted with an even better one. Rooms were large and comfortable. Ice? down the hill to reception. Pool and surrounds lovely. Food great and the staff were very friendly. Pool towels were thread bare! seriously buy some new ones! the towels are in direct opposition to the lovely pool ammenities. Dive shop guy was great and the snorkelling was wonderful. We are not divers so this was the alternative and worth it. We would go back just to see if they have figured out who they are as the little bits we see point to a gem in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms all appear to be similar in the non dorm area at this time.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort.

Your review is very much appreciated and is much needed to help us as we move in the rite direction. My apologies for the lack of service in the new reception/ meeting area as we have just opened it and were transitioning while you were here. There is no excuse for no one to help with your luggage however as there should always be someone to help you with the luggage to your room.

I am pleased to let you know that the pool towels have been replaced and now match the lovely surrounding area.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope that you can return in the future to see exactly where Volivoli is going.

Nick Darling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Wow. A little off the beaten track from Nadi but well worth the travel time of about 2½ hours. It's quiet and friendly. The staff made a point of introducing themselves to us upon arrival and remembered our names thereafter. The vales and housekeeping were wonderful with a nice pool as well.

The meal prices were slightly higher than expected but the quality made up for the difference. You can always use the kitchen in your vale if you plan and bring ingredients with you. There is a good supermarket in Rakiraki about 15 minutes from the resort by car.

Soni, Tito, Noke, Sasha (sp) and the rest of the dining room staff were always willing to make sure we had the best of service. The service was never fast but remember you are on Fiji time and there is no place to rush to after eating.

Dive, relax, dive, relax. If you are not a diver then just relax at the pool or the beach. There is not much else to do onsite.

We may have arrived as guests but felt more like family when we left. Thanks Darling family for making our Christmas memorable for the right reasons.

The only downside was that there was no Wifi in our room (980) as promoted on the hotel website. Fast quality wifi is available in dining room / bar area though.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your great review of Volivoli Beach Resort. Unfortunately I did not have pleasure of meeting you as I was away on leave however I am one of the Darling family and am very happy that you were made to feel so at home!

The diving is fantastic here and well worth the drive as you mentioned. I must apologize for the lack of internet in the rooms, This should be remedied by the end of this week with all new in room routers boosting the internet throughout the resort to give you the same speed as in the main complex.

Once again thank you and I hope to meet you soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Travelled there with my bf on the Bligh Diver package. Fantastic diving! Relaxing in the hammock and by the poolside or by the beachside during surface intervals. Food and service are great. Very personalised. Highly recommended if you are a dive nut!

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the Vale Balavu room instead of the dormitory.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicT80
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am also happy to let everyone know that there is no option to stay in the dormitories as they are completely closed down and have been for a few months now.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Nice Hotel. Everything looks really good, you have a nice pool, view, restaurant but they have bedbugs and not just in one bed. I stayed in a dorm and they were everywhere and full of blood. Ive never seen so many and such a big ones.
Spend your money in better accomodation!
And by the way there is nothing to do. you just can use their little beach but the city is too far away for a walk and the way is horrible to walk as well.
Go to Suva and stay at Rainforest Lodge there is much more to do and its nice and without bedbugs

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank F2i0j1i3
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Bula,

Thank you for your review however it is irrelevant, The dorms are closed and have been for a few months never to be reopened.

This entire building has been completely gutted on the inside and will be refurbished with ensuites, A/C, private balconies and more.

KInd regards

Pismo Beach, California
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights in the lodge accommodation, 1 of 4 small but comfortable rooms (1 queen bed, 2 bunk beds, small desk & side tables) that shares 2 bathrooms with the other guests. This room was perfect for our stay and was very affordable. The bathrooms are well-kept, and there is also a nice kitchen area, and each room has a patio with a bit of an ocean view. The grounds of Voli Voli are stunning-many local flowers and trees, the pool is excellent, and their beach area is gorgeous-views of the lush mainland and surrounding islands, a sandy beach, hammocks and beach chairs to laze in! We really enjoyed a trip out to the reef, the reef is much better here than we experienced off the coast near Nadi. There are some amazing coral structures and vibrant fish-be aware that all excursions at this resort cost extra, this was approx $25aud per person. Kayaks are free though. The staff at the restaurant/bar were friendly and certainly meet your needs, but did not go above and beyond in our opinion. Food was average-the kokoda and fresh fish were excellent but some dishes fell short. However, food is affordable as are drinks so you cannot really fault the place. The restaurant area is set up well and is a comfortable place to lounge, or use internet, and was a relaxing area when wanting to get out of the sun. All in all, the lodge is an excellent place to stay if you are looking to keep prices down-and enjoy the beautiful grounds of the resort and the beaches.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank olives2travel
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your kind review of Volivoli Beach Resort. From your review I can see that you made the most of Volivoli for what we offer ( a great laid back relaxed fijian holiday with views to boot)
We often hear that our Kokoda is "the best we have ever had" so I am glad that you also got the chance to experience it.

We are soon to add a beach bar and restaurant to the resorts facilities so that guests can enjoy our beach area with ease and have drinks served to them while they relax on the sand.

Thank you once again for your review of Volivoli.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Volivoli Resort is about 2 hours and 45 minutes from Nadi. The resort is at the end of a dirt road and is quite secluded. Make sure you bring any supplies with you as it is about 25 minutes back to the nearest town (Rakiraki). A taxi cost us FJ$20 each way.

We stayed in a studio bure which had 2 comfortable queen beds and is suitable for friends staying together. The other option of the vales is more suited to couples. There are 10 bures in a single story block each with a patio with fantastic views over the water. Our bure had a bar fridge and tea/coffee facilities. The rooms are spacious and are screened with both fans and air-conditioning. There is no television in the rooms which was OK but at least a radio would be nice. My tip is to take your own music or a portable DVD player for kids. The rooms are cleaned every day around 9am. The cleaners are friendly but a “Do Not Disturb” tag would have been great in case you want a sleep in. One morning we were in our room and let them in to clean. Then we saw what they did with our dirty glasses and mugs. They just rinse them in the bathroom vanity and then put them back in your room to use. This is pretty disgusting. I don’t know why they can’t take the dirty glasses and mugs away to be washed and bring clean ones.

The block of studio bures is half-way up a hill from the resort itself. It’s about 100 steps up a somewhat steep path. For most people it is OK but elderly or infirm might find it tiring. You certainly learn to take everything with you so you don’t need to go to and fro from your room all the time.

The resort facilities are in very good condition and not very old. There is a good sized pool next to the restaurant/bar/reception building (note that a new reception building is due to open soon). The restaurant is nice and airy with views over the pool and to the ocean. There was a singer each night at dinner which was a nice touch. The food is OK – not bad and not great. Pricing was FJ$18 for burgers (3 different types) with main meals around FJ$25-$35. The menu gets boring after a week but thankfully there are changing specials each day. Drink wise, you’ll pay FJ$7.50 for a bottle of beer and FJ$9 for a glass of wine. For a resort, the prices are reasonable. I brought a couple of bottles of wine with me which is nice to enjoy on your private room balcony. Unfortunately my wine had a cork instead of a screw cap and there is no wine bottle opener (or beer opener as Fiji beer bottles are not twist top) in the rooms. So not in Reception, the Bar or the whole Resort could a wine bottle opener be found! I understand that their house wine is screw capped, but you would think they have a couple for guests.

It is a short walk from the pool area past some mangroves to a lovely grassed area next to the sea. The grassed area had plenty of shade with a few hammocks and sun loungers. Laying in a hammock and watching the water and views of distant islands was first rate. There is a sand spit which features prominently in advertising which you can walk or sunbath on, however it is only accessable at low tide otherwise it is covered with 20cm of water! You can go snorkelling by walking straight into the sea but it is much better if you go by boat to a nearly reef. The fish and coral there was the best I have ever seen.

The best thing about Volivoli is the staff. They quickly learnt our names and are very friendly. A particular thank you to Knox and Shade who were excellent. Even “Trainee” was very good. Unfortunately the reception staff were not so good and we gave up after asking 4 times for our shell lei’s which we were promised. After talking with other guests it seemed that everyone was promised these but no one actually gets them. There were also mixed reviews of the hotel transfer company, TTF. They absolutely insisted that we get to the airport 3 hours before departure. Another couple had TTF not turn up at the airport to pick them up.

Overall, Volivoli is a small resort which is fairly quiet and designed for serious relaxation. While it is popular with scuba divers, you don’t have to be into that to enjoy Volivoli. We really enjoyed our time there but 7 days was a bit much. With no other resorts close by, no shops, no TV, no radio, no newspapers and limited wi-fi (only in the restaurant area) there isn’t a lot to do. I took 4 magazines and devoured them in the first 2 days. I never knew doing absolutely nothing was so hard!

Room Tip: If you need 2 beds, chose a bure. The vales have 1 decent bed and only a day bed which might be OK f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank meatybite
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your kind review of Volivoli Beach Resort.

Feedback is critical for us moving forward and often the only way you find out about little discrepancies. In regards to the washing of the crockery you are correct and the glasses should be removed, washed and replaced. I will follow this one up.

As for TV, Phones and Radios, I feel that yes a Radio could be of use however I do suggest that as you mentioned people bring their own tablet/ipad etc for watching movies or playing games.

I would very much like to find out what went wrong with your transfers and shell leis as this is all supposed to be distributed by our transport company, If you could please private email me on nick@volivoli.com with details that would be very much appreciated so that I can get to the bottom of this.

Overall I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay however if you find time please email me the details so that I can follow up.

Kind regards and I hope to see you back again soon.

Worcester
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here as part of the FeeJee bus experience and it was our favourite place. The ONLY draw back for us was that drinks/food were expensive. Although the portions are big and I'd highly recommend the stir fry! The dorms were clean and each has its own bathrooms. The mattresses are pretty thin but when we mentioned this they let us all have extra mattresses to make the beds way more comfy! The pool is lovely as is the little beach with hammocks. A hidden little paradise.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bula Vinaka

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems you must have been one of the last ever guests to stay with us from Feejee experience as we no longer offer services to that tour company and have closed our dorm rooms indefinitely.

Once again thank you for your stay and I hope that you may return one day.

Nick Darling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
The Warwick Fiji
Wananavu Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Rakiraki
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!