“Magic views, great diving/snorkling”

Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Our first impressions of volivoli were the impeccible gardens/rooms. We booked the cheapest option and the views and gardens from that room were great, then we were upgraded due to construction going on.

I can tell you that it was the best upgrade of accomodation I have had, the views from the bures are magical and the rooms with the lovely timber work adds to the feel of the place. We loved the relaxed style and short strolls to the restuarant and bar or even better the perfect ocean for some swimming.

Volivoli is close enough to town - very cheap cab ride although we hired a car to drive all around the island although there is plenty to do as a couple @ the resort.

We would have loved to have more time there and may return one day with the family.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji

Reviewed September 1, 2011

After months of researching for my solo trip to Fiji I decided I would stay at Volivoli for a rather long stint of 3 weeks - 1 week for a dive course then 2 weeks to go off and explore. I actually only stayed for 13 nights and in hindsight after seeing the rest of Fiji I should've left sooner.
I don’t think Volivoli warrants a bad review, I just would not return for a holiday after my experience there as a backpacker where I left feeling more like an annoyance in comparison to those staying on private dive holidays. Speaking with other backpackers, this was the general feeling amongst the other dorm boarders.

Getting There.
I took the public bus from Nadi and had to change at Lautoka. The total journey from Nadi to Rakiraki took four hours. The buses are an experience in themselves, by the end of my time in Fiji I loved them! You'll notice that the term 'express' is used very loosely, but just sit back and take in the sites, you see lots of tiny villages on the Kings road (which is still being developed). I found the bus driver and ticket man very helpful, he asked where I was going and organised for his cousin (a taxi driver) to take me the 15 minute journey from Rakiraki to Volivoli for a good price of 12$FJD, usually 15$FJD.

Check-in / Check-out.
As he drove down the long dirt track off the main road to Volivoli I couldn't help but be stunned by how beautiful it all was. He dropped me off and I headed down the steep concrete path with my backpack, it was a little unclear as to where I was meant to go at first but no big worry. Everything looked clean and well maintained, the place itself felt quiet – it was low season. There was some confusion at check in as I had been e-mailing prior to my arrival about booking a special dive deal, despite stating I was a complete novice I had been booked on advance dive offer of 10 tanks plus free accommodation - the original pull as to why I book for so long. Jenny told me not to worry and she would sort it out later, I had to really push for this to get sorted as I was eager to know how much more out of pocket I was going to be; Fiji Time, price wasn’t sorted until the day I was stood at reception waiting to check-out by which time I just had to pay what was asked of me.

Dorm Accomodation.
From reception there is a steep concrete incline to the dorms, watch-out after it has rained as it can become a little slippery – especially in flip-flops. At night you will need a torch as this path is not lit.
The dorms themselves are lovely, each 'room' consists of 8 spacious bunk beds with two sinks and toilet/shower rooms and a ceiling fan. I was in dorm four and did not ever have a full room of 8 people, if you were staying with full occupancy I think it might be a little cramped. There were enough power points during my stay, but again this might not be the case at full occupancy.
I had no personal experience of bed bugs here but did see multiple cases of it from others who were on the Fiji Experience and staying in dorm rooms 1 and 2.
I felt safe in the dorms but did always lock my things up as one traveler had their hiking boots pinched one afternoon. You pay a deposit of 10$FJD for bed sheets, these seemed to be changed regularly, and the maids clean daily. You also pay a deposit of 20$FJD for a 'kitchen kit' which consists of a plate, bowl, cup, sharp knife and cutlery.

Food.
Food is where I think Volivoli was a real let down for me, no food is included with accommodation where as everywhere else I stayed in Fiji offered a small complimentary breakfast. I felt that the meal prices were expensive and the menu distinctively western offering items such as chips, burgers & Caesar salad, at the time it was a minimum of 21$FJD for a meal which is relatively cheap, but not so much if you are planning to eat three meals a day. There was a cheaper option of a toastie at lunch, but one cannot live off toasties alone!
You order at the bar and then they call your name out to collect – unless you aren’t staying in the dorms then you seem to get table service. Go figure.
You can’t drink the tap water at Volivoli and at 12$FJD a bottle a lot of us opted to drink rainwater instead or buy from the market in Rakiraki – a round trip into town to buy your own supplies costs 30$FJD, if I had known I would’ve stocked up as soon as I had gotten off the bus, I advise you to do this! Luckily I was able to split the cost with other travelers a couple of times, but once I got stung for the full 30$FJD.
There is a basic kitchen facility for the drom borders to use, for my time there it was fine but there is no-way this could cater for full occupancy. There are two gas powered stovetops, a sink and a fridge freezer. There is an old fashioned toaster that sits on the stove, some pans and a wok. My biggest complaint about my stay at Volivoli was the theft of my and others food, again since speaking with other travelers this seems to be an on-going issue for the dorm boarders.
I cannot say if it was the staff or locals coming on to site, but it was quiet and only three of us (me & a couple) staying in the dorms at the time when our food was disappearing, we knew it was not either of us! A real upset when it costs 30$FJD to replace it. I resorted to locking dry food away in my locker but you are told not to as it attracts ants, leaving only my perishables in the fridge which were then subsequently also pinched. Reception were sympathetic but also seemed none to bothered about our food going missing. After a week of daily reporting what had gone missing we were allowed to use the fridge behind the bar.

Location & Amenities.
There is Internet via the use of pre-paid Global Gossip cards but the service was absolutely awful while I was there, dropping every 60 seconds. A real frustration as the price is expensive for only short periods of time. Reception said they couldn’t do anything about it and I was left having to call Global Gossip myself to get some sort of resolution. By the end of my stay there was an engineer working on the connection so it should hopefully be better by now.
As you can see from the pictures, the pool is lovely, large and clean exactly what you want. The beach is non-existent, the infamous sand-spit is only visible when the tide is right out and then the rest of the beach isn’t that much to see. Offshore snorkeling wasn’t great.
Dive course was ok for the price. I felt rushed, as they wanted to get me in with others who were already a day ahead of me so we could all go out in the boat together. This resulted in me having to read the PADI book and do the exam in one day, which wasn’t fun.
Only entertainment I experienced was when the Fiji Experience bus rolled through, otherwise fairly quiet with a pool table and dartboard – both of which cost to play. There is a sad looking volley ball court which I think would get better use during peak season.
Once at Volivoli, you are pretty limited to your surroundings as it is so far away from everything else, not a party resort which I didn’t mind, but also nothing close-by to keep you interested.

Staff.
The staff are local and friendly, everything is very much Fiji-Time which some people found hard to get used to. As with any resort you get some good staff and some bad, nothing notable. Volivoli is family owned from what I could tell by a couple, their sons and respective family. The sons were all very approachable and made you feel welcome, but the older couple [I presume the parents] put an atmosphere about the place and amongst the staff. One traveler was eating lunch at a high table in the corner and he was asked to move abruptly as the family wanted to eat/drink and that was ‘their table’. Bit off we all thought! It was nothing in particular, but there was a general feeling of it being a high-end resort not wanting backpackers present, but needed their custom to keep ticking over. A shame, as the people I met during my time there were great! Hope this helps someone with their plans to visit Fiji.

Room Tip: Try to get a locker near the floor, it'll save heaving your bag up & down.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank LittleLaughingBuddha
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We went to Volivoli for a wedding, and wow what a great week we had! Looking at the photos makes me want to go back now! The rooms were beautiful, amazing views, great pool and delicious food! The partying was great too, with a large selection of beverages available. What I was most impressed about was how immaculate everything was, and how friendly the staff were. All staff remembered our names very quickly and were very polite and obliging. I look forward to being back at Volivoli in the future, and thank you for a great time!

Room Tip: If staying in the backpackers - have at least one night in a Vale.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Volivoli was the perfect "relaxation" trip.
The days were spent doing 2 or 3 dives and after dinner to bed. Of coarse, you could socialize if you choose, but we wanted to take advantage of the quite vila and privacy.
We chose the Private Vila, with the one bedroom and kitchen. Even though they are 2 years old, they are kept fresh and super clean. (This is the resort owners passion - to keep the place fresh). Our unit looked over the Dive Center and had a 180 ocean view. The bonus is the washer machine and outside clothes line (take some soap and clothes pins). You could literally function with minimal clothing if you have one of these units.
The unit had a great split AC unit and 2 ceiling fans.
The Kitchen is perfect and totally functional with a gas stove top, no oven, +microwave, and refrigerator.
The Town of Rakiraki is about 20 minutes away by car, I would not attempt to walk this, its too far. You can get their by taxi, or the employee van. The first time we sprang for the taxi it was $30FJD round trip. Our driver was the same who picked us up form the airport. He was excellent in showing us exactly where to go for groceries and who to purchase them from. The second time we went to town, caught a ride on the employee bus, leaves at 3 pm and we got lucky as is was coming back at 5 pm. ($1) This time without the escort we paid a bit more for goods in the open market.
If your in need of changing money, do it at the western union next to the bread place and supermarket in rakiraki, it hands down, had the best exchange rate.
The food selection at the market is limited, but for 12 days we cooked all our meals but 2. You can ask for "rooster meat" in the back of the second market, (the one that sells alcohol) and get some nice chicken at reasonable prices. You can also purchase Kava at the market here and the straining bag, had no problem bringing it back to hawaii.
The resort is totally friendly, the owners were super flexible and eager to please. Dad has his 2 sons managing the place. Volivoli is really low key, if the right crowd is their it could "get happening at the bar," but we hit it perfect, for the first 4 days we had the dive boat basically to ourselves.
Diving, was great wither we were out at the Bligh waters or local across the reef from the resort. Everyone wants to go to the Bligh and you'll make it if your boat is fairly full or you plan it out with the 2 brothers the night before. You can also request a 3 tank dive out at the Bligh.
As of now they have no nitrox, you don't really need it, but plans in the future.
The dive boats, just need ladder improvement, which is also in the works.
The Guides are good, they could use some improvement on showing more critters. Overall they are friendly, safe and have a good time.
We found the water a bit chilly at 78, take a hood if you get cold. Lots of thermoclines and our temps ranged from 78 to 81.
The unlimited shore diving - we did 2 and the guides thought we were crazy! We found lots of creatures and silt and dirt, oh well it least it was an adventure. Don't plan on snorkeling to see anything, you wont. The water around the resort has really poor vis.
The resort staff was super friendly and Jenny is the go to person.
The only negative was the cab ride to and from the airport. Of all the travels we have done in multiple country's, this is only the second time I thought to myself that I was going to die...Please Volivoli send your company van to the airport. The taxi's are old and very well used and due to the bad road conditions, it took us 4 hours to arrive at volivoli in the dark and 3.5 in daylight on a sunday, dodging cows...
Overall I would recommend you give volivoli a try.

Room Tip: book a vila
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HawaiiHolly
Reviewed July 5, 2011

What an amazing place! We enjoyed every moment of our 5-day stay! Each of our brand new Vale Balavu rooms were wonderfully laid out... with 2 queen beds in each, spotless enormous 2-sink bathrooms, and heaps of attention to detail. Absolutely perfect for divers traveling together!

The views from our rooms in the hotel block were out of this world! Perched on a hillside, overlooking the Pacific and Nananu-i-ra Island, facing straight north during the end of June, we were able to catch both sunrises and sunsets.... all of which were knock-your-fins-off-Spectacular!

Loved the fact that the land had been hand-cleared (as opposed to the more usual slash-and-burn method), that local renewable timber had been used throughout, that local farmers were being supported, and that solar water heaters were employed. (Brilliant idea to have individual fans above each bed as well! ....in addition to the air conditioner, which we never even needed.)

The entire staff treated us with such friendliness, efficiency, helpfulness, and grace.... from the minute we checked in to the very last moment of our stay. We didn't want to leave!

In fact we DIDn't leave when we said we would! We extended what was supposed to be a 3-day stay to a 5-day stay.... couldn't imagine finding anything better, scuba-diving-wise or resort-wise for the money.

The food was delicious, the beer was cold, the pool was large, clean, and fun...
.... and again, our MAIN reason for being there? the Diving! ...which was superb!

The Ra Divers Dive Team is ULTRA- friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, skilled, safety-conscious, professional, and fun! I could go on and on and on and on. The boats are great, the gear is good, the dive-master to diver ratio ranged from 1:1 to 1:4, the guides were experts at finding and pointing out creatures we may well have missed, and the Dive-sites up there off the north side of Viti Levu are way-beyond-gorgeous.

The Ra Divers boats ply the exact same waters as the liveaboard scuba boats, and each and every dive is conducted in such a safe/sane/ manner that not only does the diver have fun and feel protected, but the reef-building critters and inhabitants are protected as well. I've been diving around the world since the 1970's, had just disembarked a (wonderful!) Fiji liveaboard prior to checking in at Volivoli, and was very verrrry impressed by the Ra Divers Dive Team!

Vinaka vaka levu to the Darling family, Volivoli staff, Ra Divers, & Splash Watersports!
You haven't seen the last of us!

(Ha! Consider yourself warned! A hui hou.... and Aloha!)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aqualoha
Reviewed June 28, 2011

It was really great to be at Volivoli Beach Resort where you are welcomed by the owners, Steve and Nick, and the entire staff. We stayed one week and had a most enjoyable time.
Each studio consisted of a large bedroom, large bath with a shower, sitting area, full kitchen and a covered porch where you can sit with a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise. Also, there is air conditioning, which helps during the warm afternoons. We used the microwave for instant coffee and had picked up some beer during the trip from Nadi, which we kept in the refrigerator.
The food was good, although the menu was limited. We were lucky enough to have a spear fishing friend that provided us with fresh fish for two nights. That was really good. I had the beef one night and it was good. The fishburger was not all that great, but the hamburgers were very good.
I did ten dives during the week, of which three were great, two were poor and five were average. The great dive sites were Breath Taker where we hung on the lip of the wall and watched the parade of reef sharks, barracuda and jacks. Mellow Yellow and Express were in Bligh Waters where there were all kinds of fish and soft coral like you would not believe. Even the average dive sites were pretty good when compared to some places in the Caribbean.
Ra Divers have a large comfortable boat which has padded seats, a head and a covered area for shade. On our last day, I was the only diver and yet Ra Divers took me on the 45 minute trip to Bligh Waters. Also, they stopped at Bird Island so my wife could watch the many nesting birds. I have been diving seventeen years and there are not many dive operators that will treat you as nice as Ra Divers treated me.
At Bird Island my wife saw boobies, terns, noddies and frigate birds. Each evening we would watch big Tongan fruit bats and one evening we watched a swamp harrier hunting down the hillside. Around the resort there was a reef heron, wood swallows, red-headed parrotfinches, bulbuls, etc.
This is a great resort for having a good time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I stayed here for one night, in one of the dorm rooms. The staff were helpful and very friendly. The pool was extremely clean and quite large which was nice. The resort was very close to the beach and the resturant/lounge area was clean. The dorm rooms were recently built and the were nice inside, with nice bathrooms and comfortable beds. But i found some blood stains on my bed sheets and in the night i killed two bed bugs in my bed. At which point i decided to spend the rest of the night on one of the sun loungers, so in all i did not enjoy my stay very much.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Travelleinghelp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Wananavu Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Rakiraki
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!