Safari Island Lodge
$136
$113
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Wananavu Beach Resort(Rakiraki)(Great Value!)
$104
$101
  • Breakfast included
Tanoa Rakiraki Hotel(Rakiraki)(Great Value!)
$53
$45
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Naigani Island Resort(Naigani Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdive masterthe reefsbeachfront villanight divewindsurfingwarrenwindsurfersburepapaya
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2014

You may be paying dramatically 4-5x more by booking ahead and paying the published weekly inclusive rate in AU$ than your on-spec dorm-mates, who stay for as little as FJD$20-30 per night - this was in late June-early July. Local consolidators (supplied by Safari Lodge availability) on-sell backpacker accommodation packages as cheap as FJD$250 for five nights including return transfers from Nadi, so around FJD$25 per night in a dorm. The local staff work very hard, and the short-term overseas 'interns' try to work miracles for client complaints behind the scenes. The food is ok if you like lots of bland mild vegetable curries and don't mind fighting for any protein - again you'll pay far less for food if you just turn up and pay in FJD than in advance from overseas.

If I were to return to the island, I'd stay on the front beach where other established providers offer transparent pricing (dorms from FJD$26-35 p/night wherever you book from), to which other annual and loyal visitors have returned year after year for decades. I'd also self-cater, in their far cleaner and better-appointed kitchens with working fridges.

Nananu I Ra is a convenient sailing spot for a winter trip from NZ or AU. It's a shame to have to leave a negative review, but the inability for the owner/ manager to even discuss and resolve small problems means that this isn't the type of hospitality I want others to have to pay over the odds to experience. Others staying at the same time who have left similar negative reviews makes me think this is not an isolated incident.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank 43degrees
Reviewed July 25, 2014

The wind was great, but that's about the only good thing. As far as kitesurfing there was no real flat water or surf, just ocean chop, lots of space in the water but a coconut palm lined coast so you have to rely on the organized boat supported downwinders unless you can launch and land in the water.

The Beach Bures were about two metres apart and very thin, dogs fight very close by every night without fail, the construction went on right next to us every day and night until at least 10pm or later, no hot water (and don't believe any rubbish Warren gives you about it, he lies), we had not one hot shower in two weeks with sun every day.

I took my six year old son who can't eat gluten, Warren's email before we left said, and I quote "No problem with the gluten free food, we will take care of that" For the first 10 days he was provided with no breakfast. To put this in context, be aware there are no shops on the island for gluten free food. If I hadn't taken some snack foods which I was then forced to give him for breakfast he would have gone very hungry. We were provided with pasta quite a few nights, my son was just expected to eat the sauce only, Mmmmm. He finally got some gluten free cereals when I insisted because I ran out of food. It was quite easy, he just couldn't be bothered.

I consider myself quite a reasonable person and I tried to speak with him while we were there but he "had a windsurfing lesson" and would get back to me. I am still waiting. I also wrote an email when I returned home as I like to give people the opportunity to fix things but he simply ignored it.

The sheets were not clean, the Bure was basic at best, the staff were lovely but all a bit on edge when Warren was around.
100 metres away are two other accommodation options, Macdonalds and Bethams, they were a quarter the price Warren charged me and much nicer. The only difference is hot water and Wi Fi, except Safari Lodge doesn't actually have hot water and you can buy a local data card if you need internet. Warren will still take you kitesurfing in his boat for a fee (a lot less than staying there).

Good luck and stay elsewhere if you want a happy holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank Sara H
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Both times I visited Safari Lodge the wind was perfect both times. Warren and his team takes care of everything for you plus they even pump up your kite for you, I deffo would visit Safari lodge again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael D
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Firstly the facilities:

Whatever watersport you are into is catered for. The equipment is in excellent condition, I don't know if that's because it's brand new or so well looked after but I was impressed. I did the scuba diving here and if confidence is gained from equipment then this place exudes it. Equipment rental was a little pricy for my budget but then I am travelling long term. There a small bar stocking essentials, beer, cigarettes, peanuts etc but, as expected the prices of the items are slightly more than the mainland......transportation costs included so you can't complain.

I stayed in the 8 'man' dorm room for 4 nights. The first 2 nights the experience ws hideous and I got very little sleep.....due to over excited guests drinking right outside the room until 0300 hrs, not the room itself. The room was spacious and the bunk beds far enough apart to feel as if you had some personal space. Comfy matresses and pillow. A self contain kitchen joined the dorm but it want the cleanest, perhaps some signs reminding people that their mothers aren't there to clen up would help resolve this? You can't drink the water from the taps so cooking wise it's really inconvenient to have to trek up and down the steep hill to get water........a dispenser would help enormously.

Sometimes is nice not to have wifi and at $20 a day this is one of those times. Free would have been good.

All in all I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Mixed dorms.....no choice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank SMP999
Reviewed May 16, 2014

First thing that must be said...Warren the owner is a great guy who can't do enough for his guests. I was blown away by all the activities, kite Surfing, Kayaks, Standup boards, Scuba diving and snorkelling even water skiing was available if we wanted it. The rooms, lets face it, are very basic even the more expensive beach front bungalows. Hot water simply didn't exist but then I have been rather spoilt and now look for a little more comfort. This place is made for young people who want an adventure as all the activities include an Instructor which helps you learn and appreciate the environment. If you are going to stay here pay a little extra and get the best rooms available. As I said I like it comfortable but found none of the other guests complaining about the lack of facilities. Diving was very good as Bligh Passage is only a short boat trip away. Equipment was up to standard and staff knew what they were doing.

Room Tip: Go high up the hill for better views but more budget accommodation. Best spot is on the beach in one of the three bungalows. No air conditioning but the beach rooms have ceiling fans.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends