“amaizing diving”

Safari Island Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I did my PADI courses there and felt completely comfortable with the instructors. I might even become a dive instructor because of them! the waters there are incredible and filled with amazing fish and beautiful coral. The vatu-i-ra passage is well worth it and will be hard to find something that incredible again! The slight down side is that the dorm is all the way at the top of a hill but climbing it a few times a day is a real work out. The food could be a bit better and a wider range but the baked goods are delicious! all the staff is really welcoming and friendly! i will make it back one day to enjoy those waters again!

Room Tip: dorms have amazing view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Safari Island Lodge

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I read the other comments before writing mine. I read things about the owner Warren. When I went there, his brother was also there, so I didn't really spoke to him. The only thing I noticed is that locals seemed to have the "worst" jobs...They were boat drivers, cook, janitor...I went to Safari Lodge to make my diving licence. My instructor was from NZ. I think a Fijian could have done the same.
The dive was really nice. The dorm was fine. The food was good, but a bit expensive. Be aware of the fees when you pay by credit card. I would recommend that place for diving and for a night or two, but not for a whole week or for a holiday.

Room Tip: Watch for the FROGS!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank VeronickaJ
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Safari Lodge is a complex of different accommodation options (beach apartments, basic rooms, backpackers accom, apartments located up a hill) located on a nice quiet Rakiraki Island where you can escape all unwanted attention and relax or do one of many available activities - windsurfing, kiting, diving, kayaking, walking or fishing...
We stayed with my husband for 3 nights in June 13, I wanted to do windsurfing courses, but there was no wind for 2 days, which should be an exception there, so we did 2 fishing trips (handline and trawling) with one of local guys employed at the lodge and it was great experience, (we caught 15 fish in 3 hours with handline fishing, but just one bigger fish when trawling, because we went only for 2 hours and couldn't go far enough on the sea, we found the 4 hour trip overpriced).
Last day the wind picked up a little bit so the owner (Warren) gave me quite a nice 2 hour windsurfing lesson, the water and beach is beautiful over there as well!

Accommodation - we stayed in a basic room in the main building, but had a nice terrace and there are many rooms in buildings located up a steep hill with nice views from the terrace in front of the building. There's nice garden with hammocks between the beach and main building.

Meals - you have the option to cook for yourself or pay for 3 meals, the food was different, sometimes great sometimes less tasty, but there was always some vegetables and dessert:)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hanule007
Reviewed July 3, 2013

What to come for:
- wind sports
- friendly, laid-back, collegial and familial atmosphere
- wholesome simple meals
- activities (kayak, walking, trail running, snorkelling, diving)
- clean, simple, comfortable rooms

What not to come for (what there isn't):
- overzealous 'Bula' greetings from staff
- traditional dances and kava ceremonies
- manicured gardens
- carefully, tastefully, romantically ornamented rooms
- luxury soaps and beauty products, fluffed pillows

Warren and Stephanie's "lodge" is a small collection of bures, rooms, and villas scattered on a property stretching from the beach to the hilltop. Meals are communal and wholesome, with little fried stuff. The people we met were here for short visits or month+ stays, some in the backpacker lodgings (with big kitchen) and others in the simple, clean, functional private villa or bures.

The activities are the real draw of the place. The island is a good place for pleasant walking or dirt track jogging (not always easy in Fiji, without village permission), and this gives access to a number of additional beaches. And of course there is fantastic windsurfing, kiting, diving, and snorkelling. Probably the top spot for wind sports in Fiji. We had three good windy days and 2 calm ones, time to shift to the free kayaks and stand-up paddle boards and snorkelling.

This place is free of the typical Fijian resort's endless "Bula" greetings, dance sessions, and kava bowls (the island has been freehold land for generations - it isn't on village terrain). Aside from Warren and Stephanie, their staff included a dive master (Stone), a windsurf pro (Pete), and a few friendly cleaning, food, and grounds people. Meals are cooked at their base on the mainland and arrives by boat each day.

We came not for the windsports, but for a family break with children (5 & 9), and it was great. They had the run of the property - together with Warren and Stephanie's similar aged daughter - and we didn't have to worry. Sand castles, kayaks, forest play, trampoline, snorkelling, banana boat, walks...

We stayed in a beach front bure, across the main garden from the restaurant. They are building a third bure next door, scheduled to finish by 20 July, so there was construction noise and generator noise all day at the bure. But in our case we didn't come to sleep in or rest in the bure, so it worked out (it would have ruined a 'sleeping in' and reading in bed kind of holiday). The construction doesn't affect the rest of the place or activities.

Overall, the place is laid back, looks sloppy and unorganised, with little effort on the aesthetics of gardens and decorations found at 'relax or romantic' resorts. The food is good (but no choice), the rooms and beds clean, comfy, and correct, but nothing fancy. The focus is on sports, activities, good people, so if you come with that in mind, you will hugely enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stian91
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a great time here, we had good wind everyday.
It was one of the most relaxing holidays i've ever had.
This is not a 5 star resort. and its definately on "island time."
which is why i found it so relaxing.!!!!
If you want to be pampered in a luxurious environment , then this is not the place for you.!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank morgan s
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My fiance and I arrived in Rakiraki in early September 2012, based on a tip that there was some great kite surfing - Even though I've never done it, I wanted to try. Found Saf Is Lodge on T.A. and booked a room from downtown Rakiraki. Got a taxi to the pier and had to wait a little over an hour and a half before our water taxi arrived and brought us to the resort (Fiji Time in full effect). Immediately signed up for a kite surfing lesson. After multiple failed attempts at lessons, the last day we took a water taxi to the break point and there was absolutely no wind. Warren (the owner and kite instructor) charged me $100 - half price - for what I felt like was nothing more than a boat ride and an explanation of the emergency release I could have got on youtube. I felt a bit ripped off because the kite didn't actually get off the water at all.

Food was pretty good if you like Indian cuisine. The accommodation was basic, but comfortable - no hot water, warm blankets, comfy couches and hammocks. Two star rating is because of the failed kite lesson and the $100 charge for it, otherwise it would have been three.

Room Tip: Long walk up the path to get to the bunk bed dorms. Watch out for the FROGS!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JHWorldTravels
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place is more of a backpacker place with an exclusive resort price tag!
If still want to revisit the spot but stay and found out McDonalds and Bethams .

I read all the comments; I agree and disagree with both parts. I was there for a week with my family last and will never go back to Safari Lodge.
Yes; they pump up your kite, they prepare your food, etc...
I dont want to offend the Aussies; but if you haven´t been overseas before it´s easy to focus on how "perfect the sunny side eggs are". The spot were McDonalds and Safari Lodge are located is good.
My famlily stayed a total of five weeks in Fiji and only one week at Safari Lodge. The reason is I dont recommend Safari Lodge is....
But before I would like the reader to understand that Safari Lodge staff is very very nice and the food is good but not cheap comparing to other places in Fiji. The "resort" is mainly organised under Warrens poor leadership skills. He had two instructors sent back because they didnt want to drink beer and entertain the costumers; this is the trick to get us to consume (I agree with you hag2000).

Okay....I dont recommend the place because of......
- Warren's attitude to his staff was also unacceptable to us. (just as Michael wrote) They smiled and worked very hard and were underpaid.
- Warrens attitude towards women and specially his interest for them. (If you have a daughter; dont bring her and tell your wife about it before you go )
- Warrens attitude towards the locals in general.
- Warren lack of social skills ( dont get me wrong he is a party animal and able the entertain; but to run a business as Safari Lodge is something else.)

This place is more of a backpacker place with exclusive resort price tag!

I will stop here; the reason is that I care about the impact this might have on his wife and daughter and I hope this message will give him a hint to get the message and not deny it.
Sorry Warren; you got a huge potential.....make a change...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Zac S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji
#1 of 13 in Suva
Wananavu Beach Resort
Wananavu Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Rakiraki

Been to Safari Island Lodge? Share your experiences!