“fantastic kiteboarding holiday”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
coolangatta
“fantastic kiteboarding holiday”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a great time here, we had good wind everyday.
It was one of the most relaxing holidays i've ever had.
This is not a 5 star resort. and its definately on "island time."
which is why i found it so relaxing.!!!!
If you want to be pampered in a luxurious environment , then this is not the place for you.!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank morgan s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My fiance and I arrived in Rakiraki in early September 2012, based on a tip that there was some great kite surfing - Even though I've never done it, I wanted to try. Found Saf Is Lodge on T.A. and booked a room from downtown Rakiraki. Got a taxi to the pier and had to wait a little over an hour and a half before our water taxi arrived and brought us to the resort (Fiji Time in full effect). Immediately signed up for a kite surfing lesson. After multiple failed attempts at lessons, the last day we took a water taxi to the break point and there was absolutely no wind. Warren (the owner and kite instructor) charged me $100 - half price - for what I felt like was nothing more than a boat ride and an explanation of the emergency release I could have got on youtube. I felt a bit ripped off because the kite didn't actually get off the water at all.

Food was pretty good if you like Indian cuisine. The accommodation was basic, but comfortable - no hot water, warm blankets, comfy couches and hammocks. Two star rating is because of the failed kite lesson and the $100 charge for it, otherwise it would have been three.

Room Tip: Long walk up the path to get to the bunk bed dorms. Watch out for the FROGS!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JHWorldTravels
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place is more of a backpacker place with an exclusive resort price tag!
If still want to revisit the spot but stay and found out McDonalds and Bethams .

I read all the comments; I agree and disagree with both parts. I was there for a week with my family last and will never go back to Safari Lodge.
Yes; they pump up your kite, they prepare your food, etc...
I dont want to offend the Aussies; but if you haven´t been overseas before it´s easy to focus on how "perfect the sunny side eggs are". The spot were McDonalds and Safari Lodge are located is good.
My famlily stayed a total of five weeks in Fiji and only one week at Safari Lodge. The reason is I dont recommend Safari Lodge is....
But before I would like the reader to understand that Safari Lodge staff is very very nice and the food is good but not cheap comparing to other places in Fiji. The "resort" is mainly organised under Warrens poor leadership skills. He had two instructors sent back because they didnt want to drink beer and entertain the costumers; this is the trick to get us to consume (I agree with you hag2000).

Okay....I dont recommend the place because of......
- Warren's attitude to his staff was also unacceptable to us. (just as Michael wrote) They smiled and worked very hard and were underpaid.
- Warrens attitude towards women and specially his interest for them. (If you have a daughter; dont bring her and tell your wife about it before you go )
- Warrens attitude towards the locals in general.
- Warren lack of social skills ( dont get me wrong he is a party animal and able the entertain; but to run a business as Safari Lodge is something else.)

This place is more of a backpacker place with exclusive resort price tag!

I will stop here; the reason is that I care about the impact this might have on his wife and daughter and I hope this message will give him a hint to get the message and not deny it.
Sorry Warren; you got a huge potential.....make a change...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Zac S
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This resort is on a magical small island that is worth the trip. I came to dive on the advice of a dive travel agent friend of mine as the area has some of the best diving in the world. I made my way out to the area and was waiting for the boat to come over to pick me up when I met Warren. He was super nice and we put together the dive package right there at the picnic table. I found that Warren was up-front with all of the prices of the things he was able to offer. Several times, he went out of his way and helped me out when he didn't have to. This was most refreshing as I have been in several places where this is not the case. All of the staff were very welcoming and friendly. Warren was able to arrange some dives that were much farther out in the strait which were absolutely mind-blowing. At one point, I could not see the dive guide because there were too many fish. If you are interested in doing some world-class diving on your holiday, make this trip.
I am definitely planning on making a return journey soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jack c
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I went back for a second holiday at Safari Lodge over the new year period. Again I thoroughly enjoyed it. Again a lot of wakeboarding, kayaking and SUPing. All the gear is right there on your door step. This time I even started to learn kite surfing. Unfortunately the wind dropped after a couple of days and I didn't quite make it to the surfing part of it. Will just have to come back for more.

It's a great place for people who like a relaxed and laid back holiday. Things don't always work as planned on a small island, but who needs plans on holiday. The food was great, the staff very friendly and helpful and made you feel welcome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SabBerlin
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

we we're supposed to be at safari lodge for 3.5 weeks, the owner warren inisted on all money up front as without it he wouldn't secure our booking over New year. we checked first that if any reason we needed to leave we would get a full refund which he confirmed. We choose to leave after 5 nights as cyclone Evan was hitting Fiji. it took us 6 weeks, a lot of chasing on our part via phone and email to eventually get a refund - my advise do not pay more than a week in advance

The island is beautiful, stunning and Warren let's you use the kayaks for free but take your own snorkel gear as that you have to rent.

I'm a learner at kite surfing and this place is not ideal, at low tide you have coral with no water on it so risk of coral rash and cuts and at high tide you have no beach so you have to land and launch in the water or time it right with the wind to go in between low and high tide - quite restricting, so you need to be experienced.

The accommodation is very basic but clean and the staff are very friendly - we we're gutted we didn't stay longer as my partner wanted to kite surf everyday.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Rob9616
Lyttelton, New Zealand
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Safari Lodge for three nights and did three dives around The Passage. The location of the lodge is perfect, right on the water with a hill to it's back. The range of accommodation here is broad, but I think it is only worth it if you are either staying in one of two beach side bures, or in the dorms. The middle range accommodation is average and you'de perhaps be better off on the other side of the island at one of the cottages.
What is great about this place is the group meals, all home cooking, three times a day for and affordable price. It really brings all the guest together and creates a community. Also, there are all kinds of water sports available, so if you want to be active you can take your pick.
The downsides of this place is the average mid-rage accommodation options. Also, Warren the owner can bleed the cash out of you, with hidden charges such as a 5%!!!! credit card fee and although at the harbor a sign advertises free transfers to the island for divers, in the end he charges guest, who dive for transfers. Also Warren has a tendency to make comments he thinks is funny, but really paints him as critical and cynical. But, beer is only 5$, the food is great and the whole ship sails pretty smooth. I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: stay in the beach side bures.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YankiwiSteve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
Wananavu Beach Resort
Wananavu Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Rakiraki

Been to Safari Island Lodge? Share your experiences!