“Give the place a big miss”

Safari Island Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
Reviewed April 17, 2008

I would never go there again. We didn't like the way we were missled in the description of the place. We had to pay before we got to Nananu-i-ra and were shown a beautiful bungalow, only to get a mossie ridden tiny hot room for a huge price. Needless to say we never stayed there and Warren the owner lied to us saying he would refund our money, which never happened. It is not the first time this has happened!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank philnsonja
There are newer reviews for Safari Island Lodge

Reviewed March 25, 2008

I have just come back from Safari Island Lodge on Nananu-I-Ra Island after staying for 4 days there. After reading the adverse comments about Safari Island Lodge, I still decided to go there because I have already been to 5 backpackers on Nananu-I-Ra Island and Safari Island Lodge was the only other one that looked reasonable and affordable and offered everything.

I would highly recommend Safari Island Lodge to anyone looking for budget accommodation and wanting to do their own stuff on an island paradise without interference from staff and other guests. And then, there are heaps of activities available [many free] with around 5 or 6 Resorts within 5 minutes walking distance to Safari Island Lodge. So you can stay at a budget backpackers and visit the upmarket neighbouring resorts when ever you feel like.

Upon reaching Ellington Wharf from Suva, we were warmly greeted by Lina at Reception and a glass of cold refreshing juice for me, my wife and my 5 year old daughter. Lina also offered us further discounts for each night upon checking in and showed great hospitality and courtesy. Laurence the Manager, who was there as well, immediately called the island and made arrangements for a single bed to be placed in our room for our daughter at no extra costs. Professional and efficient service was the first impression that we had of Safari Island Lodge.

Tota, the boatman arrived within 5 minutes of our arrival and insisted that he carry all our heavy bags to the boat. We had many bags of food stuff to be carried as we were going to do our own cooking for our 4 days stay. Upon reaching the Lodge, Siteri showed us our Ocean view Villa, and I just couldn’t believe that such a newly built villa with modern kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms have been offered to us at such a discounted rate. The kitchen had the entire cutlery that we needed and there was hot and cold water available and a beautiful lounge over looking the ocean.

Surrounded by so many pawpaw trees and coconut trees, we had one pawpaw each for breakfast during our stay there and drank coconuts when ever we wished. I did my fishing according to the tide and my wife and daughter swam or snorkelled or just lay on the hammock that are right on the beach. We went for walks to other resorts and took the kayaks out to the reef.

Hospitality of the Safari Staff: Siteri went to the extent of baking a Birthday Cake for one of the guests staying there and we celebrated his Birthday on Sunday night. Laurence even bought some lamb chops and chicken for me from the main land and sent it over by boat to our Lodge when we ran out of things to cook for our meals. All the staff there were so friendly that our daughter spent more time playing and being entertained by the Safari Staff than by us.

So please go there and find it out for yourselves …

Sam Goundar <sam.goundar@ag.gov.fj>

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank SamGoundar
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Just arrived from a two week vacation on Nananu I Ra, what a beautiful place, shame about our host Warren ripping us and another couple off, speaking of which, some part time locals told us he's currently running a bar without a license and he dodges tax by being paid overseas, perhaps someone could alert local authorities to this? I've read horror stories on the net about this place and notice how quick he is, signing up temporary accounts (Davmen and Kitejunkie in this thread alone) to defend his bad reputation. Stay away people.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cystalkleer
Reviewed February 7, 2008

not going to bore you with detail, this place is a sham pure and simple. a glorified youth hostel, its an absolute disgrace and management have the cheek to tell you "paradise awaits".
worst experience of all my travels.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank delb1983
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We booked Safari Lodge by phone from Suva. When we arrived at the warf Warren made us pay for the accomodation in advance. We booked a private double. On the island we discovered, that the place is a big building site. Only one bungalow at the beach has a private bathroom. First they put us in a room in the main house. Erverybody could walk trough the room. There wasn't even a key. After complaining they put us in a room on top of the hill. Unfortunately they didn't have curtains, so everybody had a look inside when crossing the veranda. The food was good, but more expensive than at MacDonalds Place in the village. Unfortunately you couldn't enjoy your food, because of all the mosquitos, especially in the garden. After 3 fays we moved to MacDonalds, where we got a private bungalow right at the beach for less. I wouldn't stay at Safari Lodge again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank msdstefan
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Firstly let me say the hosts were fantasic and obliging and the staff equally as nice.
Accomodation was comfortable, clean and safe (I stayed in the Dorm). Warm showers and a nice lounge - like being at home on a lazy Sunday. Ther is some construction work going on as the owner is constantly improving his property - but the intrusion was minimal if noticable at all - had the workers open a few wild coconuts for me and had some nice fresh milk!!
Food was better than restaurant quality, very tasty and plenty of it , have to go on a diet now..LOL.
Facilities - geared towards Windsurfing/Kiteboarding, were great with plenty of othe non-wind activities Reef snorkling, swiming, wake boarding walks or shopping on mainland.
Also a geat Chill zone - really got to unwind from work, swing in a hammock, read a book and listen to music all in the shade with warm breezes.
Not a party island (thank god) but still plenty of laughs, fun and good company to be had through the evening.
There is a Kiosk type shop and drinks etc. are very reasonable considering it is an island!
I would recommend this facility to all from backpackers to families, but not party animals (go spoil some other peice of paradise).

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank DavMen
Reviewed March 16, 2007

The place is a dump, I caught a staff member going through our things, there was a dead rat in the shower when I arrived and after paying for my accomodation in advance the arrogant owner Warren Francis refused to refund my money he didn't even show any empathy for the bad experiences caused to us by his bad management and attitude. I would not recommend staying here unless you want your whole holiday ruined. Not happy at all.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mitchell75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji
#1 of 13 in Suva
Wananavu Beach Resort
Wananavu Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Rakiraki

Been to Safari Island Lodge? Share your experiences!