“Fabulous - Will be back!!!!”

Safari Island Lodge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Had a fantastic time at Safari Lodge!!!! Arrived at Nadi airport from Europe after a trip from hell and with a 12 hrs delay. Warren the owner of Safari Lodge had still organised a transfer that got me to the island just before midnight on Xmas Day and just in time to enjoy the last hour of Xmas with my friends who had been waiting for a while. Very much appreciated!!! Woke up to the smell of toast and eggs the next morning (try the omelette - yummie! As was the rest of the food!). The lodge and facilities were well maintained and clean, the staff very friendly.
I enjoyed the various watersport options. Wakeboarding, SUPing, surfing behind the boat. There is also canoes you can use to paddle around the island. Diving is another option. Went on a snorkeling trip to bird island - great snorkeling, saw lots of fish! Watch out for the mystery tours! And by the way, the hammocks are very comfy.

If you are looking for a fab and active holiday, enjoying the watersport activities and relaxed atmosphere, meeting nice people - it can't get better: this is the place to be!!! Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank SabBerlin

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Had an amazing time at Safari Island Lodge. The diving was perfect and there are endless of activities to enjoy around the island. Ono beach on the northern part of the island is absolutely beautiful. Warren the owner lives on promises and strives to make your stay perfect!. The bures are clean as well as the lodge. The food is excellent. If your are looking for a place to stay with lots of activities, beautiful beaches and amazing scuba diving this place is a MUST!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2011

SAFARI LODGE – BEST HOLIDAY FOR A LONG TIME!!

Safari Lodge was highly recommended to me by Luke from SHQ of Sandringham (specialists in outdoor and water sports supplies) Melbourne Australia.

I did my homework and I knew exactly what Safari Lodge was offering, there is lot of photographs and clear information what is expected of the trip.

I arrived at Nandi Airport at 4p.m. it was amazing! There was very nice and friendly Fijian gentlemen Mr. Leon waiting for me at the airport full of information.

Regarding the transportation vehicle, yes it was a little bit deteriorated, but this is expected of Fiji, this is saying, “Welcome to Fiji”. I have travelled a lot in South America and this is what you get in third world countries, old cars, old streets, old buildings, but this is the reason why you go to places like this to experience the authenticity of the place.

I had two and a half hours travelling to my destination, which was very pleasurable, which showed me the true Fiji; it gave me the feeling of what I expected and wanted, the tropical weather, the people, the smell of sugar canes and the magnificent sunset. During my journey to the lodge Mr. Leon was very informative about the areas we were going through, “what else can I ask for, simply perfect”.

We arrived at my next destination, which was the boat ride “Oh My God” it was the best
Ride I ever had for a long time. It was a beautiful, warm night with full moon reflecting on the sea.
I was stunned; I could not believe how lucky I was “Amazing to say the least”. I can still
visualize the moment “mmmmm………..!!!.

I arrived at my destination with a warm welcome by Fijian ladies greeting me with “Bula Bula” which means “hallo” in Fiji. Warren who is the owner of the lodge came and greeted me and introduced me to the rest of the people who I will be sharing a lodge with.

A meal was served soon after I arrived there, which was a very nice Fijian meal.
My room was as well as expected, clean and comfortable with fabulous views. The bathroom was shared which was clean and well maintained.

The next day I woke up with the sunrise surrounded by beautiful tropical palms, warm tropical feel, this cannot get better than this.

The bell rang which is a signal for breakfast “This is a LODGE way of doing things”. A table of magnificent muesli mix, Fijian fruit; sweet pineapple, bananas, sweet papaya and watermelon. The flavours were unreal. Then you had a choice of omelette or any other cooked meal to your preference (Highly recommend the omelettes), coffee, tea and juice was also provided. Lunch was called by he bell (again LODGE WAY), which consisted of variety of salads, vegetables, red meat and chicken with amazing flavours. Coffee, tea, juice and cake were offered straight after.

Dinner was again very authentic Fijian food, which was quite delicious. On a couple of occasions we were offered Pena collides made by Stephanie (Warren’s wife). We also experienced a ceremony where we observed traditional preparation of Fijian style drink, which was offered to us. We were shown a demonstration of the ways to open a coconut; we even danced the Fijian way.

All the staff of Safari Lodge were very friendly and happy to help you. It felt like we were all one big happy family. People from different part of the world was at the lodge, these people were from, Poland, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Italy.

I had windsurfing lessons every afternoon with Warren (a passionate instructor who loves his job) “Thank you Warren, I have improved my windsurfing skills very much. You have made everything so much easier for me”. I also did snorkelling, canoeing and at night I would walk along the white, sandy beach with magnificent full moon (unforgettable) feeling very safe and very lucky, did not want to leave. I am Definitely coming back and I highly recommend Safari Lodge.

SAFARI LODGE. GREAT HOSPITALITY, GREAT FOOD.

BY THE WAY THIS WAS NOT A RESORT THIS WAS A LODGE.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank susana s
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We are local expats in Fiji and really enjoy getting out of the city to relax and have watersports fun as Safari Lodge! Our family does all the activities possible: kiting, windsurfing (some of the best consistent wind in Fiji), diving, snorkeling, fishing... and of course, relaxing.

The staff is kind and the food is good. Accommodation is nice and simple. Full time electricity and Internet access.

Best of all is the people you meet from all walks of life. Go to Safari for the sports and community.

Bring your mozzie spray and sunscreen!

Room Tip: Go up top if you want an incredible view... Family's would prefer the beachfront bure's to...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed with my partner in the Beach Bure room, it was a plesent stay and we spent most of our time at the beach and all the water sport activities. We stayed 5 nights and enjoyed our time at this place. I loved relaxing and reading my book in the Hamocks!! The facilities were ok, we could enjoy a Hot Water shower and modern facilities. We felt right at home here, This place is like you are staying at your friend's home in a low key island. All staffs are very friendly, gardener climbs up to get coconuts, play with owner's dogs, and listen to staffs' local Fijian funny lifes. Owner was always busy to check that everything was going well with all guests.

We was very lucky to meet many wonderful people to do things together such as snorkeling, cayaking, hand-line fishing, hiking, island tour, kitesurfing and windsurfing lessons.

The Markets were wonderful, fresh fruit and Fijian produce.

Room Tip: Beach Bure room was lovely
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy H
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This holiday was the worst vacation I have EVER had! The website misleads you into thinking that this is going to be a relaxing holiday of paradise. It wasn't!!! The 3 hour bus ride from the airport at Nadi was in a run down dilapidated mini bus which does not make you feel comfortable about making it to the airport or to the resort in one piece or on time.
The boat ride out to the Resort was a blessing in disguise and the terrible bus ride can soon be forgotten about. On arrival the Manager 'Warren Francis' was in bed and did not greet you on the beech. I found my way up the path in the dark and was greeted by Warren's wife Stephanie. Having travelled 13 hours to get to paradise I expected a very nice meal considering I was spending over $3000 Kiwis for the week holiday, But, instead I was given a chicken Joints dinner with uncooked carrots, uncooked green beans and uncooked Potatoes! I had to ask what the meat was, as I was unsure what it was. Honestly I could not tell you the cut of the chicken that was on that plate.
I was shown to a private room where the door to the balcony did not open and I landed up by waking people up and the room was directly above the family house so I felt like i was squatting in their home. There was no tea or coffee in the room with no kettle, and the toilet and shower had no lock on. The toilet was stained and was a communal lavatory and shower that was then used by everyone and shared by everyone during the day!
After complaining that this was not my Paradise holiday, and after asking to leave, Warren gave me the chalet to stop me from leaving and to make my stay a little more comfortable. However, I did ask again to leave and Warren just shrugged it off and told me that we could work it out and promptly walked away from me. At that point I felt marooned on that island. The only thing that kept me going was learning the true Fijian life style. I was introduced to coconuts and fresh fish from the local Fijians next door who I befriended.
The time that Stephanie did cook was the wednesday and Thursday and the food was good! The fresh bread that she made was excellent!
The windsurfing equipment was terrible! The sails ware all bleached from the sun and felt gutless and stretched where it was obvious they have been rigged for 2 years, and the Jp boards are all soft, spongy and in terrible condition! JP would be ashamed to see there boards in that condition! The 6 boards that I tried were all soft and spongy with huge repairs and the learner boards, in places, I could fit my fist in the holes!!!
I would only recommend this place as a backpackers one night stop off, and to view the beautiful beech which it sells very nicely on the website, BUT NOT for a week holiday! Overall, the prices are far too steep, door handles falling off, taps that don't have handles, NO spa, NO pool, and a manager that is not honest, shifty and delusional about his resort!
I payed for 7 nights accommodation but only stayed 6 nights because I was transferred out on the saturday lunchtime for a sunday morning flight. I had to find a hotel and pay extra to stay but I feel this should have been sorted from safari lodge but wasn't. The best night stay was in the Hotel next to the airport, where there was everything you expect from a Hotel/Resort.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank Dave799
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Hi there,

We are just back from a week's holiday at the Safari Lodge on Nananu I Ra in Fiji. We were joining a Kite Boarding group from Kite Republic. We arrived late at night at the Lodge and were greeted by Stephanie the owner of the Lodge (together with Warren). We were shown to our bure as we had booked a beach front bure for the week. There are two of them close to each other. The bure was excellent with a nice deck, a large bedroom, a spare bedroom with two beds for kids I guess and then a shower (hot - especially if the sun had been shining) and toilets. The bure are very comfortable and close by the action. There is more accommodation available, gradually located up the hill behind the main building. The views from there are fantastic!! The main building has a honesty bar / shop, the dining room (brekky, lunch and dinner), a movie room (projection system on a large wall) and Warren's office. Outside are wooden benches which are used at meal times and social drinking time. Everything is super clean and our bure for example was swiped and moped everyday while we were out on the water.
The lodge is definitely for people who are looking at any kind of water activity from sea kayaking, stand up paddling, scuba diving (there is a great PADI course director on site), surfing and of course kite boarding. Warren can organise any of it and provide a very safe environment with multiple boats covering the activities.
Lastly, on the last night, I had a little bit of an incident which involved concussion etc... Warren provided me with great care, organise the next morning for me to see a local doctor and then organise my transfer back to Nadi so that I could catch the next available plane (after having been cleared to fly by the doctor and missed my flight).
All in all, the people at the lodge (owner and local staff) are fantastic, very friendly and helpful and I am sure that we will return!
Now remember that finding the right accommodation is about managing your expectations... the Safari lodge is for sporting people (although we are not the typical sporting types but did book a kite boarding week) and the accommodation and amenities are perfect for that... if you are after some sort of 5* accommodation where everything is done for you then this is not the place to go. This place is 5* if you want to combine a tropical holidays with some fun action on/in the water with very clean and comfortable accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji
The Beehive
The Beehive
#3 of 4 in Rakiraki
Vatia Beach Eco Resort

Been to Safari Island Lodge? Share your experiences!