“Great resort, but poor diving”

Wananavu Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
Abilene
“Great resort, but poor diving”
Reviewed October 5, 2009

The resort is great with good people, good food, and good accomidations.
The diving sucks because there are not many fish near the resort. If you take the one hour trip to Bligh Waters, then you will see a great number of fish and great soft coral.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auburn, CA
Reviewed September 18, 2009

I recently went to the South Pacific to scuba dive with friends. WE spent two weeks on Viti Levu (Fiji Land) the main island in the Fijian chain. And although much of the island is made up of villages that lack some basic amenities, what we found at Wananavu was absolutely top-drawer!!! The grounds wew exceptionally well maintained and planned. The staff remembered everyone's name, I mean everyone, even changing faces during the week we stayed there, and we all became friends. The dive staff on the Ra Divers dive boats, were equally friendly, professional, personable and skilled. A an hstorian, I have done a lot of travelling. I have been to fifteen countries from Australia to Canada, the U.S to all over Europe. My MUST say, I have never stayed anywhere like Wananavu. Before I went there, I researched a LOT about Fiji and Wananavu, and read many reports here on TripAdvisor, some which were not complimentary. I don't know where those people stayed, but it was clearly NOT the same place i stayed! The rooms (bure's (bu-rays)) were charming and clean, the food excellent, the drinking water safe, the staff fast and careful, the prices affordable, but compared to several other such resorts on Fiji, Wananavu is first class!! Not only would I recommend it to everyone, but I would like to spend a couple more months there again diving five days a week. It has everything one ccould want in a tropical get-away, except the crowds, the noise and the overt commercialism. I, we, also stayed at the Uprising and The Pearl in southern Fiji, and I cannot say I feel the same about either one (although the Pearl is far nicer than the Uprising in MANY respects (more on those in another review).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Stayed in a private house near Wananavu. We were told we could use the facilities at Wananavu but they had a full house and we were told we couldn't use any part of the hotel at all.
We did dive with Ra Divers. Only good things to say about the dive sites, but the equipment Ra Divers had available to rent was in appalling condition. Regulators that leaked and were very difficult to breathe through, wetsuits that were falling apart (literally!), BCDs that were ragged and falling apart. One in our group had to disconnect her BCD from her regulator as it was constantly filling the BCD. The poor divermasters were very embarrassed by the gear and all they could say was "please email the boss". I would not dive with Ra Divers again unless I had every single piece of my own gear.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sydneymac
Sydney
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Well. where would I start... Wananavu is just gorgeous. We had a ball. I just cant wait to go back one day... Ill start with the beginging and ramble on..

The drive from the airport is an eye opener and takes about 2 and a half hours.. Its through the "real fiji" and you see all sorts of things. You see the poverty and how the real locals live, you see lots of sugar cane and fields and animals everywhere. I would not say its a scenic drive as its not coastal, but its interesting thats for sure. I guess I was surprised at how much poverty there is and had not expected that but the locals smile and wave to you in the bus and thats lovely. The last 20 minutes to the resort is very bumpy as the road is just rubble, so hold on tight! Its in the middle of no were and its really the only place for miles and miles so if you are looking to completely excape then this is the place to go. If you are looking for shopping and nightclubs/pubs/people, then this is not the place to go.

I would not say its a place for kids really under 12. There was no children there really at all, mainly couples and diver groups..

When you arrive at the resort you walk into heaven. Its amazing. The whole place glisens and sparkles and is clean and well looked after. Its really truly a special place.. The gardens are spectacular and the flowers are lovely and the paths around the resort are just so nice to walk around. If you want total peace and only to hear the birds and the trees swaying then this is your place for sure. No kids running around, no cars, no noise of any description apart from the gardeners chopping down the palm leaves..

The recepion area is lovely and Meli on reception is a joy. The other ladies too on reception cannot do enough for you and no problem is too big to fix. There are no tvs, radios and only one computer in the little shop for internet if you must have it!! The rooms are very clean and modern and lovely and have mini bars and air conditioning and fans. The rooms were covered in local flowers when we arrived which was so nice.

There is only a sheet and a very thin blanket on the beds, so ask at reception and they will give you more blankets. There are no safes in the rooms but you can leave valuables at reception if you need to but we felt totally safe.. We started off in a garden view bure but ended up upgraded to the honey moon bure which is out of this world. own plunge pool and undescribable views. Bure number 23 is the one to ask for if you are getting married. Unreal..

The night we arrived we got in at ten pm so the place was very quiet and everyone was asleep. We got a sandwhcih which was nice but the fried were stone cold. I think the kitchen must have been closed and waiting for us to arrive!!

Now to the food. The food manager Beato is wonderful and nothing is a problem. He genuinly wants everything to run smoothly and listens to any constructive critism. This is a 3 and half start resort and some people may forget this, so really the food is wonderful. A couple of hints were the soup was luke warm, although very tasty, but as soon as we mentioned this is became warmer, but not piping hot.. But I looked forward to the soup daily. The milk is full cream and I would have liked to see some semi skimmed, but maybe fiji cows dont do semi skimmed!!!!!!!!! The Wedges/chips could have been a bit more cooked and crispy and sometimes looked half done, but in the moring they always seemed hotter.. Yes wedges for breakfast!! Thats what they call hash browns!! Breakfast was limited but lovely and the eggs were amazing. bacon very tasty but again always half cooked but the loevly ladies were always more than happy to crisp it up a bit. The fruit and muffins were nice but most days by the time we got there they were finished and that was that. We only once made it on time to get the gorgeuos pinneaple. But we always got melon..So I guess they need to cater a bit more on the fuit and muffin department!! Over all though breakfast was lovely..

Luncu and dinner.. The same menu was daily but each day a special list came out with a few specials and that added a bit of variety.. Pizzas lovely, burgers lovely, no pasta, fillet steak really nice, chicken was always thigh and brown meat but ok. Salads nice but coudl have done with a bit less lettuce and a bit more of the other stuff and I would have loved to see some salad dressing of some sort, italian or frend or even some good old balsamic.. Deserts wonderful..

The lovo feast is fantastic and really enjoyed the food that night. Didnt quite so much enjoy the mongolian night as felt ill afterwards and as its all cooked to order opnly tip wopuld be to make sure what you are eating is actually cooked properly..

Overall I could not really fault the food and as I said tha food and beverage manager is a joy and so friendly..

Tables and glasswear immaculate and a good selection of wine and local beers and spirits and cock tails and not at all expensive really.. A coke is about $3.50 fiji and wine about $9 fiji.

So enough on the food....

The managers Rachel and mr Ben!! Lovely and friendly and helpful and caring and genuinly care about their guests. I would not have wished for better hosts!!!!!!!!

The staff.. Too many to mention. Silivia, Kali, Andi, Ma, Crazy Asinate, they were all wonderfull and remembered our names from day one.. The staff make this place special. They are the nicest most smiliest crowd ever..

There is a group pf four men who sing and play guitar at lunchtime and dinner time and thats a nice touch and really the only music apart from the odd tape playing in the bar.

The spa is lovely and just tiny. I had a massage and a pedicure. Just heaven.

We did the island discovery tour with Cevi. Great fun and he is hilarious. There is not much sand around and most beaches are pebbly so it s the white sand you want then this is not the place.The marina is beautiful but you cant really swim there. the beach is ok for swimming but you have to wear shoes for the rocks and coral. The hammocks and chairs are ok. The chairs coudl do with an overhaul, but still clean enough.

The acitvity bure is good and the lovely old man who runs it knows everything about evertying. You can buy a beer at the beach and just sit and listen to the birds and the trees. Heaven.

The village tour is great to see how the real locals live.

There is snorkelling and kayaking and tennis too.

The pool area is very well kept. Chairs pool side immaculate and the staff come and ask if you want lunch down there or a cocktail by the pool..

I honeslty could not really fault Wananavu apart from the odd thing here and there but it was just a dream holiday if you want to be romantic and escape litteraly the world.

Take a good book and just relax... Fiji time.. Im planning my next trip to heaven as we speak!!!

Vinaka Wananavu. Heaven......

Morven and Graeme

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
australia
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My family stayed at a luxury house adjacent to Wananavu for 10 days. All was well until the resort was closed for a wedding for the last 4 days of our stay. It would have been considerate of the hotel managers to inform us, but no. They took a booking ( 2 days previous) for a family celebration dinner with cake etc & on the night said the resort was closed & we were no longer welcome - by the way pay your bill in the morning ! One problem with Wananavu is it is so remote that any alternative for meals & tours is almost non existant. However the main problem we had was with the EXTREMELY rude female manager, her complete lack of consideration & manners. I think it just demonstrated her lack of personal skills & ability to juggle a full work load. Maybe she should take up cleaning the bathrooms. Thankfully all the Fijian staff were amazing , friendly & always polite. Lessons could definitly be learnt here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Anaheim Hills, Ca
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Just returned from 10 days at Wananavu. The hotel accommodations were very good and a good value for the special group pricing we received. We got the all inclusive package which included the diving, 3 meals/day, 2 dives a day, and accommodations. Bures are laid out at 3 levels - ocean front, a second row of bures farther back from the water about 20 feet higher, and the top level row of bures which is about another 20 feet higher. Many of the ocean view rooms have views which are mostly blocked by the palm trees. Top level has the best rooms unless you are paying for beach front room. Bed was firm and comfortable. Rooms were large and had 2 chairs and small table, plenty of electrical outlets using Australian plug system and 220 volt, weak air conditioning, 2 overhead fans, mini fridge stocked, hair dryer, king room had large double sink bath and shower (no tubs). Twin rooms and triple room had single sink in bath and were not as large. Each room had a nice covered deck out front with 2 chairs and a table to enjoy the view. Rooms were attractive, clean, well kept. Bathrooms appeared to be recently remodeled. Furnishings appeared relatively new. No safe. Front desk has a safe. No phones or internet in the rooms. Free Wifi available in the lobby, but usually broken and not working. Dial up internet connection for $3 fiji for 10 minutes at a single computer in the boutique. Buy cell phone chip for your international GSM cell phone at the airport for about $10 using Vodafone - the only provider at Wananavu.

When driving from the airport to Wananavu, tell your driver to stop in Tavua for groceries.
There is a toilet in the back of the grocery store without any toilet paper.

Food ranged from poorly prepared to very good, with most of the food over 10 days being mediocre. Breakfast was always the same but there was good variety of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, cereal, muffins, toast, and a variety of fresh fruit and juices, coffee, tea, milk, hot chocolate. Bacon is not crisp, but otherwise breakfast was satisfactory. Hot tip is to get a little extra fresh fruit to take on the boat.

Packed lunches were always poor. Usually a choice of mediocre pasta salad or a ham and cheese sandwhich which had very little ham or cheese, with fresh fruit.

They charge extra for soft drinks and bottled water, but prices are fair. Bar prices were also fair relative to usual resort prices - about $2.50 for a beer and $6-8 for a tropical mixed drink.

Best thing at lunch was hamburger which was very good, pizza which was ok, and fish and chips which was sometimes a bit soggy (both the fish and the chips). Ninety percent of the time the french fries were soggy with oil and undercooked.

The kitchen does best with desserts - especially cakes and ice cream. Nothing fancy, but pretty tasty. A few of the dinners were very good. The good dinners included filet steak, lamb chops, and mongolian Bar B Q. The curry's were mostly extremely dry and bland chicken, pork, or beef. Chicken in any dish was usually overcooked, dry, and stringy. Lamb and pork usually turned out ok. Beef was typically a very lean and chewy.
Vegetables were usually nicely prepared, not overcooked, but very small portions. Salads were usually crisp and well prepared. Soups were almost always a very thin cream soup, with plenty of onion and garlic but not much of anything else. The soups were ok, but they usually tasted very similar because the method of preparation was almost always the same. The dining room is attractive with both indoor and outdoor seating and great ocean views from it's elevated position. No air conditioning in the dining area, but there are overhead fans.

My husband who was not a diver took part in the daily activities for the nondivers of which the picknic and snorkeling were considered the best. Village walk and raft trip were ok. Pricing was reasonable for these outings usually around $30-$40/person.

The resort is very remote and the nearby towns are pretty depressed and run down places that most people would not want to visit other than to buy something at the grocery store. The nearest major city is 2 1/2 hours drive away.

The employees at the resort are very friendly and try hard to provide excellent service.
Half of the people in our group were not divers. I had the impression that they had a good time but it is best for people whose main objective is just to relax by the pool. The pool was attractice and clean with plenty of well kept lounge chairs.

The ocean front area is not very good for swimming - mainly muck and rock at low tide and very shallow and rocky at high tide. The "beach" is hard packed brown sandy area. There are lounge chairs if you want to sit by the water. Take the picnic cruise and snorkel tour to another island about 15 minutes away for ocean swimming, nice sand beach, and snorkeling or take the snorkel tour for excellent snorkeling.

The diving in the Bligh Waters was fantastic. Divers in our group said that the Bligh Waters were as good as the best diving in Indonesia, the Phillipines, Palau, etc. for the clarity of water, beauty and diversity and abundance of reef coral and reef life. Not great for large fish or pelagics. Saw a couple of sharks and turtles. We dove with RA Divers who have only two smallish boats as of this writing, but with 2 being built. The boats were often overcrowded, but the dive masters and crew were very helpful. Equipment was set up every morning and equipment and wetsuits rinsed every night for us. Some water a a bit of hot chocolate provided on the boat, sometimes cookies. However, I recommend bringing extra water or drinks and munchies with you on the boat. They Ra Divers provide a towel for each person. Very limited rental gear. Water was 75 degrees and many divers were cold in their 3 mm suits. They could not get vests, hoods, or thicker wet suits from Ra Divers. I felt fine in 3 mm, but I was probably the exception. I lent my hood to my friend who said it made a big difference in overall warmth so bring your hood.

If there are a large number of divers interested in the Bligh Waters, then they will go there at no additional charge. However, the usual practice is to require a 3 dive day with the 3rd dive at an extra cost of about $30 US in order to visit the Bligh Waters about 1 hour away by boat. Otherwise they just dive locally which is usually good (but not comparable to Bligh Waters) and sometimes mediocre due to poor visibility, damaged reef, and limited fish life.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank ski_dive_fiend
LA
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Don't get my review wrong. We had a great SCUBA diving trip to Fiji. I just think you will have a better time if you know to expect some things ahead of time. You need info on FOOD, the ROOM, and DIVING.
FOOD: Bierto was the brand new restaurant manager and seemed like he would definitely improve things there. For example, the dive boat leaves every morning at 8am and breakfast doesn’t open until 0700, so you order by 0715 and get food just after 0730. This leaves no time to go back to your room and change into dive gear and go to the bathroom. We suggested they allow divers to pre-order breakfast so we could be eating at 0700-0715. Bierto made it new policy right away. The food was plentiful and really good. We aren’t teens and have fairly sophisticated palates, and the food was good. We never ordered Coke or alcohol from the bar which can get real expensive real quick (about $6US per drink). All the wait staff would introduce themselves to you the first time they met you and call you by name every other time they met you. I think Ma and Eta were in charge of the staff, and they ran a very tight operation.
DIVING: Diving in Fiji was great. We saw a few sharks during a few dives, but only one shark ever made me nervous by circling us closer and closer while we were hanging on the safety stop rope. Ra Divers is currently not housed on the Wananavu resort which really created a communication problem. The divers never knew how many boats were going out the next day and whether they would be on the 2-tank boat or 3-tank boat and whether they’d go so far out that they wouldn’t be back for lunch. You are supposed to order your take away lunch the night before. They need to work out a notification system. The divemasters were very nice, but I would say that if you are a very new or very nervous diver, make your requests heard and don’t just accept what may come, because they will ignore you and assume you’re OK. So, most dives are a live boat, but if you want a drop line up and down, just say so and they’ll do it. It helps if you make those requests as far in advance as possible, like when you first make your dive package reservations, so they can plan for it by putting you on the right boat and going to the right reefs. Don’t suffer in silence. If you need a DM to stay right next to you the whole dive, just let them know. p.s. everyone came with 3/3 shorties, but by their second dive everyone was upgrading to hood or full suits. The 77 degree water was too cold for 3/3 shorties.
ROOM: The Oceanview Bure was marvelous. If you want beach to lay out on though, your best bet is to pay for the Oceanfront Bure. The only bad part about our Oceanview Bures (#17-20) was that they have a glass walled shower in the back, and while we took our showers after diving, the local workers would walk around behind our Bure. They walked around back there all day with full view of our entire bathroom. I complained in writing. It got better, but not completely fixed. It’s weird that they would allow that.

Improvements to vacation packages:
Be sure to look at when your flight gets in the first day and when it leaves on the last day. At Wananavu your meal plan begins at lunch your first day, so if your flight gets in at 0500 like mine, you get to the resort by 0730 hungry for breakfast. If you eat it there, they will charge you for it. On your last day out, Wananavu’s check out is at 1000, so if you’re flight is at 10pm like ours was, you’ll have to either pay for meals and a room for an extra day at Wananavu or get a “day room” at Raffles right across from the airport. Wananavu didn’t have a room available, so we ended up astaying at Raffles, and I think for a lazy day at a nice pool and 2 nice restaurants, Raffles was nicer and cheaper. Also, they only offered the taxi service to the airport each day at either 10am or 5pm and if you choose the 5pm, you have to pay for the room for the day.
The all inclusive would be better if it included sodas and/or alcohol.
If you do a 3-tank dive day, Wananavu makes a to-go lunch for you, but they still charge you $6US for either a bottled water or a coke to go with it, and the lunch is just a salad or noodles and is inadequate.
Ra Divers was not a top tier dive shop. They only had one medium sized boat and one small one. They will never be able to support dive groups bigger than about 14 folks on one boat. The little boat didn’t even have a head. I’m not sure either boat had an O2 kit. The DMs were inattentive under water. I have a slew of examples. A DM pointed out a big fish about 30’ below us eating on a big loose boulder of corral and hitting it so hard the coral was actually rocking—I thought it was a huge Parrot fish. I went down to take its picture. He swam ahead. After I got back to the room that night and looked up my photo catch, it ended up being a Titan Trigger fish. My fish book says, and I quote “will attach divers”. Thanks for keeping me safe, DM...not! One day a newlywed couple joined us who were on their second dive ever. The young girl wouldn’t even go in the water for her second dive of the day because she said the DM who had promised to stay right next to them was out of site at the front of the group the whole dive. I found the DMs so focused on looking for cool things to point out that I had to swim to them and poke them to give them my half air signal. A lady with hundreds of dives joined us for her first dive of the trip, and the DM was to be her buddy for her “checkout” dive. We all went down, the DM abandoned her, and she used up half her tank of air swimming to depth because she was greatly underweighted (their lead weights were an unmarked guessing game in terms of figuring out how much each weight might weigh). One day the big boat went out on a 3-tank dive and (luckily we were on the little 2-tank boat) the DMs dumped 14 people into a spot with about a 6 knot current. They told everyone to follow the rope to the reef and then it would be OK. These were all very advanced divers. They were flapping like flags hanging onto the line. They used half their air to get to the reef, it was not better there, and they turned around and went back to the boat. One lady with literally over a thousand dives got a nose bleed from the experience. The next two dives were fine. Why would they have gone to that site? On another day, again on the big boat with the advanced divers on their second dive of the day, a German man and his wife were buddies, both advanced divers, and everyone got in the water and went down. On his way down, he ran completely out of air. His wife didn’t notice and proceeded on. Neither DM noticed and proceeded on. He surfaced to realize there must be quite a current or the boat had moved away from the reef, because the boat was quite far away. Luckily he had a safety sausage to signal the boat. Turns out they had never changed his tank from the first dive (p.s. shame on him for not checking his air before diving in, and shame on his buddy for leaving him, but still shame on the boat crew who should have been more responsible). The DMs kept leading us through swim throughs and canyons with soft corrals hanging in our path even though we had some very new divers in our groups. So there was some resultant damage to the corals. They also brought us through some swim throughs that were pretty long overhead environments that we had to go through single file that were actually pretty dangerous. Again, it just brings into doubt their judgment. I confronted the lead DM about it and asked him why he was stressing the divers to bring us through swim throughs that were dark and really had nothing to see and appeared to be a waste of time and air, and he said “you might see a scorpion fish”. And finally, the lead DM swam so fast that it was quite annoying. If you hesitated at all to wait for a particular fish to pop out or to take a picture, when you looked up, he was totally gone through a maze of swim through. Frequently I found myself being the intermediary between the front half of the group trying to stay with the DM and the photographers in the back half. And all of this was just over what I assume was a typical week at Ra Divers. Unless PADI just gives away their ratings for cash payment, I don’t see how Ra is a “Gold Palm” dive shop.
Other shortcomings of Ra Divers. No nitrox option. No dive shop on site with Wananavu. No rinse or hang to dry facility anywhere on Wananavu. No fish ID books on the boat or the resort. No Tshirts for sale to advertise Ra Divers or Fiji. They were completely inflexible about crediting dives from Donna to me. So they wouldn’t let her not dive a 2-tank day and give it to me to dive a 3-tank for 2 days.
On the good side, all our dives were good dives. No repeat sites we didn’t want. Good mix of diving the close in reefs as well as the outer Bligh Water reefs. They practiced good eco discipline on not anchoring on the reefs and using permanently fixed buoys. The diving conditions were great with a min of 60’ viz and the water was a constant 77 degrees.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DINK_Diver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Wananavu Beach Resort? Share your experiences!