Tripadvisor
Lautoka
All reviews the sugar cane train spa bath vuda point turtle feeding star resort sleeping giant beachcomber vinaka fijians bure heaps
Selected filters
Reviewed January 6, 2020

17 days I was booked for Anchorage. Pre-paid. My room had broken sinks, damaged bathroom so I instantly requested a room change. My next room had holes in the walls black mould in bathroom, broken tap, bath, grout . Filthy also which is not house keeping fault the state of the bathroom is beyond cleaning. I made the most of my situation for three days until my boyfriend experienced racism by the manager. I had to enlist the help of bookings.com to either assist with a refund to leave or get me out of the disgusting room. I was given a villa. Nicer but still worn out towels, dirty etc.
. They refill the tissue boxes
. The towels have holes, are warm out if you are lucky to get a dry clean towel replacement for the day
. The breakfast is disgusting in over two weeks only three did not have rotten fruit served
. The Indian lady hosting breakfast has no desire to please guests while the manager takes no pride also.
. At breakfast you have a choice of two dodgy old toasters to wait and toast your bread absolutely an insult
. The large juice containers have black mould all on the plastic, I bought this to their attention but they were not cleaned, I warned my children to not drink the juices.
. The pool tiles are all broken and every child at the time of my stay including my own were slicing their feet open just from climbing out the pool. Absolutely disgusting.
The owner is a crook we saw how he interacts with his staff they are treated poorly. He has no respect for travellers money nor holiday experience.
If you want to ruin your holiday, and be trapped in broken filth then this is the place for you.
They are so tight we could not even borrow a match for a birthday cake.
Disgustingly filthy I purchased disinfectant to clean my room, it’s not house keeping fault they work hard but can only use what the are given. Unfortunately my iPad has most the photos .

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank livjuls
Reviewed January 6, 2020

If you like filth, parasites in your stomach, rats crawling around your villa, bedsheets never changed, holes in towels, dirty stained poolside beds that haven’t been cleaned once, rotten food, rude staff, lazy Australian owner, huge wait for overpriced menu, melted and refrozen ice creams, dirty outdoor spas, no cleaning products used on bathrooms except water, a filthy unused pool bar, broken tiles all over pool resulting in every tourist kid cutting their body parts, dangerous coconuts falling daily because they are not taken down, terrible wifi that gets turned off when staff want to leave, wifi not even given at front desk when needing to login to banking etc

Staff managers flying down hill to restaurant with no regards to children at resort!

Mini vans from resort flying like crazy over property up and down all day. All staff and managers to lazy to walk anywhere and drive dangerously upto pool table area. One day a child will be killed.

Complimentary mini van to nadi and Lautoka Indian driver is the most dangerous driver, and constantly talks on mobile phone while almost having accidents.

No regards to tourists, no respect.

Serve off rotten fruit daily. Slimey watermelon and mushy banana , sunquik cordial instead of juice.

$10 Kmart toasters that don’t toast properly, terrible coffee, mugs are left on putrid old trays covered in sticky old tin foil. Smell your mug before making a coffee.

Revolting! I’ve backpacked around the world and this is the most vile place I’ve stayed and I would stay anywhere!

If it was $20 a night it would be justified! But we spent thousands!

Don’t stay here! The health department needs to attend!

Non of this is the staffs fault it’s the owner! Pull your finger out your aaaaa mate and take some pride in your hotel and supply staff with what they need to make it a place to be able to enjoy. Such a waste! Sell it and let it become great!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank backpacker19866667
Reviewed January 4, 2020 via mobile

Dirty room, kids fingerprints all over the mirrors, previus visitors hair clip on the dirty coffee table, no toilet paper or towells in room on arrival. ONE restaurant (other has been closed 5 years), swim up bar has not been open in a week, restaurant quality is crap, constantly out of stock, served fake seafood for the seafood special????!!!, broken daybeds. No bus running to town during and still 3 days after TC Sarai. Had to hire a car to get out after 3 days trapped with s@#^, expensive food and drinks. Sad, given it's run by an aussie who should know better.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bryce H
Reviewed January 2, 2020

Individuals can make or break your holiday. We had 3 person at Anchorage who genuinely helped, the 2 restaurant workers that made us long island iced tea repeatedly and the beautician, the rest of them really struggled and it honestly spoilt the stay.
I give honest feedback, maybe my experience is unique so take what you will from this review.
Working backwards from checking out.

They did not follow our transfer request, 530am to be picked up, flying at 740am to NZ. The Anchorage transfer service is so bad. He got us at 625am, we were LATE for our flight. I burst into tears at check in, the kind man and his supervisor got us checked in even though we were 15 minutes after they'd closed. This is how the 1st of January 2020 started.

We called reception at 540am when we noted they were late for our prearranged transfer pick up, and then every 8 minutes, my fiance told the lady how late we were and the driver raced to the airport. She had written the schedule down, but quietly accepted our displeasure. Then I noted the driver had her transfer schedule in his car, he ignored it. What a bad person. Not even an apology to us.

The transfer were part of an inclusive travel package prepaid with STA Travel in NZ. When we arrived the driver expected payment but we had paid. Our 24 hour info service with the agent, confirmed they'd confirmed via their process all our package and hadn't received reply from Fiji end. We were asked to pay again and get receipt, but that's not reasonable. If I pay in advance, can show my itinerary to prove my package, because your process at the resort let you down, dont ask me to pay again. Took 2 days for resort to accept my package extras were paid already, in the meantime I did pay for the free trip and got the receipt and now have to go thru STA process to get that cash back.

Basically their procedures are poor.

No paper in the printer, so my copied receipt was actually on the back of an emailed proof of transaction for another guest. Privacy issues there?
Scheduling not followed accurately.
Accuracy really not a strength.
Across the whole resort, staff struggled to implement their own processes procedurally and transactions, restaurant to transfer to reception to housekeeping.

The resort is old and tired, the rooms are acceptable but the decor is old, broken, busted.
The beachfront room is not that beachfront actually, one is beachfront, the others stack behind going up a steep hill.
But they're bigger than the pool front rooms by far.

Ground staff had to work hard, Cyclone Sitara never happened but we definitely had gales and heavy rain. The trees and grounds were constantly cleaned, they did well. While we were concerned, the staff themselves seemed to have some measures in place to keep us safe at least.

House keeping:
1. Replace towels with clean ones after you take dirty ones away.
2. Give them a trolley to push around the poor lady walked back and forth taking away dirty to bring back clean -if she did come back, which 3 out of 4 times she did not.
3. Replace soap.
4. Wipe bench and sink surfaces.
5. If bedding taken away, replace sheets, replace pillow cases.
6. Put clean mattress protectors on the bed please at all times, it was dirty before we got there.
7. Sweep the floors and mop. They were grubby, especially after a weather event.
8. Put floor mats both sides of the bed, so that before you get in, you can get the floor dust off your feet and not have dirt in your bedsheets each night. That's why I kept changing my sheets. It's cheaper to buy mats, than wash sheets all the time.
9. Scrape the ice on the ice box, it's so thick it's going to rip the box out of the wall. And it gets in the way of putting products in there.
10. Please provide one light blanket in the room, sometimes it's cool in that room.
The menu was ok, I like kokoda and fish so it suited me, but its limiting when supplies get low and you have to eat chicken for 4 days in a row. Yes weather event, but send a staff member to go pick supplies up instead of making us eat limited menu.

The music is good to hear, whether its Leo or even a staff member singing or playing guitar, keep doing that.

Beachcomber visit
1. Great value do it from there
2. Take aqua shoes, sunscreen, hat, glasses. Its super bright WHITE sand and hurts the eyes and scorches the skin.
3. Take no alcohol, whole island is licensed you cant take prepurchased stuff there.
4. The snorkel gear is basic, cheap to hire.
5. A little pool behind the bar gives welcome respite from sea swimming and keeps you cool.
6. The glass floor boat is actually pretty basic and had repaired glass floor (cracks sealed with silicone but look scary, still functional)... but it's nice to see below and non swimmers get to enjoy the reef.
7. Mama Lise announced the itinerary and it's interesting.
8. The meals are ok, Fiji food seems high fat, high calorie and you will gain weight if you eat their cooked meals 3 times a day. Meat is not sliced per cut, its chopped up so food is fat and bone mixed with meat, quite an effort to eat. Not just at this resort either EVERY WHERE that's not a high end place.
9. The turtle feeding is turtles from breeding program in concrete pools, they're small no touching and only a quick stop. Staff feed them, not you.
10. The bar is LOUD fun music all day, and beach floor, its expensive buy drinks at one of the 4 happy hours.
11. Staff dont invite you to get the food, so when it's on the table get up and serve yourself.
12. It's better than I expected after having ready scathing reviews, but it's not a flash resort so dont expect Malolo island or places like that.
13. Weather changes fast, so if they say get on the boat then do it fast. It's for your safety. Look at the sky, if you see thick grey offshore go back to the bar and ask if you need to leave soon so you're not on the other side of the island when it's time to leave.
14. Its 10 minute walk around the island, with coral everywhere and crabs on the rocky part. But an easy walk.
15. Off the actual shore is some coral and fish but not a lot, it's better off the places where the boat takes you to.
Please dont stand on the coral,
Please dont kneel on it,
Please dont pick it up or poke it in the sea as you dive or snorkel,
Please dont grab it to steady yourself while you scuba, it's a delicate ecosystem, you handling it is not good for the coral.
We watched divers from overseas doing exactly that and it's maybe not their fault, but everyone's responsibility to look after our ocean life.

General
1. Dont rely on Anchorage transfer service, they're double the price of a METERED taxi with terrible reliability and drive dangerously. But, many drivers we saw took dangerous risks on their roads we noted.
2. Get the phone number for a taxi service, call them yourself, make sure not to agree to a price RUN THE METER!!! At 25 to 31 December it should cost F$20-$25 Anchorage to Nadi bus stop.
3. Ask the beautician to help you order a local for rental car, it's cheaper.... much cheaper than international providers.
4. Ask that local rental car businessman to meet you at a central place, or for pick up and drop off when returning vehicle. Negotiate a small fee to cover their help. See the beautician for help if you cant source one independently.
5. Anchorage is 25 minutes from Nadi airport. Bus from the junction above Viseisei is F$2 per adult to Nadi bus stop. It runs about every half hour during the day on the bus Nadi to Lautoka. It's cheap and fine to travel by, pay in cash or with local travel card that you buy and top up. Top up avail at Nadi bus stop terminal.
6. Walk the train track from the resort to village in real time 20 minutes on flat track only when trains aren't running, asl if trains run because it's a real track used for sugar cane transport.
7. Bus Nadi to Denarau port is F$1.11 on Westbus yellow buses and leaves every 15 minutes, 20 minutes drive right into the resorts or marina.
8. Bula bus is $8 pp and travels around Denirau island but catch the yellow bus that travels the very same route.
9. We went to Hilton for lunch for the day, paid heaps for the food and drink and enjoyed their beaches the resorts were on. It's interesting how vastly different the resorts are.
10. Taking a rental car gives you ease of moving about of course and means you're not relying on what is actually a dodgy and frustrating travel system. I wont rely on Anchorage or taxi drivers again, they both charge twice as much and give poor and disappointing service.
Fiji time.
1. It means never on time.
2. It means casual or relaxed attitude, almost like they aren't interested but honestly they're just not fussy about time and not intending to be rude.
3. It means dont rely on them when time is essential like flights.
4. It means, some dont have eye for detail, so you may find yourself frustrated if you are looking for the same things we were.
5. They really do say "bula, where you from" straight away. Westerners make small talk first, they ask straight away... no offense intended.
6. Frogs, birds, little lizards everywhere at Anchorage. Dont fret they're harmless.
7. Dont drink water from the tap.
8. Flush only what passes through your system.
9. Ice is made from tap water, your tummy will rebel if you drink it.
10. If they offer ice cream, remember generators go on during power outage so frozen food may thaw slightly and that can upset stomach too. Beware.
11. Book tour to Denirau, or beach comber at resort. Get the time correct.
12. The transfer bus shuttle takes a trip to Lautoka and to Nadi at set times daily for free weather permitting, if you want to explore.
13. Not a good beach off the resort for snorkeling, it shallow sand bar only.
Good luck.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank PetiteFleurNZ
Reviewed January 2, 2020

The place is not well maintained, the rooms aren't cleaned well, there is no real involvement from the staff (with a few noticeable exceptions).
Rooms are quite noisy (we could hear the family next door).
Transport to and from is a scam - the front desk chartered drivers charge 2 or 3 times the price of a regular metered taxi.
Reserving a taxi on the last day get our plane almost resulted in missing it - it felt like no one really cares about anyone.
It's too bad since the secluded area down the bad dirt track is actually not too bad.
The owners seems to not care at all - we almost went and knock on their door to drive us to the airport on the last day, since they live on the premises.
Very disappointing experience.