“Very pleasant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lautoka
Bolzano, Italy
“Very pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Only stayed one night at the Anchorage Beach resort. We were upgraded from a mountain few room to our own private villa, which was lovely. Staff were friendly, and very helpful with picking up suitcases. It was raining heavily the entire time we were there, so one staff member offered to drive me from reception to the restaurant, which I appreciated as I would have gotten saturated otherwise. The internet was free and worked really well!

I found the main things that let the resort down a bit were the food and the beach (or complete lack thereof). Overall it was a perfect stay for one night before returning to Australia but I probably would not spend significantly longer at the hotel.

Room Tip: Could not fault the villa with own spa!
1 Thank Saritatravels_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Cambridge, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We (myself and two children - ages 7 and 11) arrived at Anchorage after three nights on Bounty Island.

Our room was nice and spacious. We sat and rested and had a bit of a snack in our room. A small piece of food was left on a bedside cabinet and was swarming with ants soon after. The air conditioning in our room did not work. I contacted reception to advise them of the problem and they promised someone would come and have a look. Half an hour later I had to call again. We were given another room which, thankfully, had functioning air conditioning.

The rooms are nice and clean although a check under the bed (for things kids leave behind) when we left indicated that perhaps they weren't moved too often for a clean!

There is a large pool although don't take any notice of the signs indicating depth. At one end of the pool the sign said 1.2m so I jumped in (I am 1.75m) and went straight to the bottom with water over my head. The signs are incorrect and there is only one part of the pool that is of a depth that makes it suitable for smaller children (there is a small paddling pool though). Please note however that the pool quickly becomes deep and in some parts must be around 2.5m deep.

The restaurant is nice enough but the food seems a bit overpriced. The kids' menu provides some good options. The kids' meals were large and would have been sufficient for me however the menu quite clearly states that the kids' menu is for up to 12 years only. It wasn't until our last day there that we discovered that the restaurant at Vuda Point Marina is far better priced and has a much better menu.

While we were there, Fiji was struck by heavy rain and there was flooding in some parts. Unfortunately, Anchorage does not have enough to do and we ended up watching some rubbish television and swimming in the pool while the rain tumbled down. We were scheduled to go on a trip to Beachcomber Island however this had to be postponed one day and then cancelled the next.

Breakfast was a simple affair - cereal, toast, juice, tea and coffee. It was possible to order from a breakfast menu but the continental breakfast was certainly enough for us.

We ordered a room service meal one night. The person taking the order seemed annoyed that I would do such a thing and hung up before even acknowledging that she had heard my order correctly.

Wifi is only available in the restaurant.

Overall I can't complain about Anchorage but after two weeks of extremely friendly Fijian welcomes, the staff at Anchorage came across as though they were just doing a job.

Anchorage was good value - it was part of a flight and accommodation package - but I am not sure that I would recommend it over other hotels. It's location is somewhat of an issue and, even the kids felt the difference in atmosphere.

We didn't dislike it but, unfortunately, that's probably the best thing I can say about it.

Room Tip: Our room was a long walk (down a steep hill) from the restaurant which was quite hazardous, given th...
3 Thank Mark G
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at the Anchorage as a stop over for one night. Firstly they couldn't unlock the door, the key broke and we had to go to another room. Everything is very old and needs renovating badly. Staff were pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Emily038
Resort M, Manager at Anchorage Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Bula Emily,
Thank you for posting your first ever review on Trip Advisor. Whilst it may have been a small inconvenience at the time, please rest assured that we do have full time maintenance staff that attend to problems as they arise.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were looking for a place to celebrate our wives 50th birthday and my brother-in-law mentioned Fiji as he had been thee eight years ago. After a two hour delay at Melb Airport we finally arrived at the Anchorage on Sat 4 Jan at 7:40 am. My initial disappointment with the reservation manager who thought it was best to talk on her mobile that answer out question, and the fact that she was reluctant to offer us adjoining rooms, were dispelled when we went for a walk around the resort to fill in time before check-in. Before anyone starts whingeing – This is not the Hilton or the Sheraton – but it is a reasonably priced resort if you want to relax and be away from the crowds. The resort surrounds are well kept and the pool is cleaned at 7.00 each morning because I said BULA to the guy cleaning it each day. Breakfast is basic, but there could have been offer to upgrade to a cooked breakfast? Room cleaning was basic but don’t ask for extra towels because you won’t get them. I tried to make an call through reception to a mobile number and was told they couldn’t do it – I felt that the management at the hotel was poor and always full of excuses why the couldn’t do things.
Enough of the negatives – on the positives we want to congratulate the staff in the restaurant, particularly the morning staff, and especially Mare and Clive for making our stay enjoyable. Nothing was too much for them and they even organised a cake and a birthday serenade for the girls on the special night (8th). Thank you again Guys that was brilliant. The Bure was fantastic and relaxing , the staff friendly and inviting. The guys from Splash water sports were also friendly and helpful. Beachcomber Island was great, although our visit was covered in our package, and trips to Nadi and Latouka were an eye opener, via the free shuttle service from the resort – although you need to make your own way back. Just a tip, we hired a car from 2fast rentals which was cheap and drove down to the coral coast, very reasonable and a lot cheaper than alternatives. Fiji isn’t bad to drive in as long as you’re a cautious and you can have some great experiences. Overall we enjoyed our time in Fiji – but then again it’s what you make of it.
VINAKA

Room Tip: Ocean view room (second storey)
3 Thank Peter D
Bula Peter,
Thanks for your review and we are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. We have many staff here who continue to be commended by guests and they are our greatest asset.
We hope you return to the Anchorage in the future.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

My Husband died 21 -11-20011 A year later I needed to get away, so I ended up going to Anchorage Resort Fiji , what a top place it. Turn out to be, now here I am again 2013 running into 2014. & it's my Third Time I have been here at the Anchorage Beach Resort and I'll be coming back again at the end of this year. This is where I come to relax, and heal my body mind and soul.

The staff are very friendly and helpful.they can't do enough for you. Smiles all round. Conveniently located, great . Free transport to the shops , Nadi and Lautoka. Easy access to Beachcomber Island and Denaurau just a boat ride. Reasonably priced and a great bar, that I find at times difficult to leave . Entertainment every night. Eg Polynesian shows , fire dancers, band and serenaders and kava ceremony. Boutique for shopping , volleyball, massage bure and a great BIG swimming pool.
What more could you ask for? I Love it.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are the best but all the rooms have a view .
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Kittycatpam
Bula Pam,
It was great having you staying with us again and we are very happy to hear that the Anchorage is your chosen place to relax. Everyone here looks forward to seeing you again at the end of this year.
Grimsby, ON
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked a 13 day trip to Anchorage during Christmas and New Year. My younger son got a terrible infection on both ears , runs high fever and we were seeking immediate medical assistance. After 1 hr of waiting and repetitive calls to the reception, they sent us a taxi to take us to the closest medical facility in the local village. There is no doctor available at this clinic and we're told to go to Latoka hospital. The hotel taxi ( The actual hotel transportation, not a separate hire) abandons us in the village to find our way to the hospital. They ask us to wait for another taxi( another 1/2 hour in the middle of the road waiting). My son is barely sitting on his feet so we ask locals to help us get to the hospital. At the hospital we were told that there is private medical care available so we hop on yet another taxi and make it to a clinic to see a doctor. On the way back we talk to the "owners representative" Aaron -----. We ask him how it is possible to abondon his guests when dealing with a medical emergency. Not only that he is not apologizing for this but he is very rude and accuses us that we were not clear what type of medical emergency it was! When we mentioned that is his responsibility to provide its guests with proper information and access to medical services in cases of emergency he was quite apathetic and rude. Considering that the hotels mission is to provide best customer service , I advise my fellow travellers to think twice before booking with this hotel. Aside from this incident, we found the facility expensive for the type of services provided. The food at the resort is below standards, therefore most of the guests go to the nearby Marina and First Landing restaurant. The location is very remote and you need to pay for a lot of taxi fares to get around.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Carmen D
Lautoka, Fiji
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We checked in on 26th December and till that moment we all were having a blast. Awesome customer service. Villas are well maintained with new 32' Flat Screen TV. The pool I think is cleaned every morning. A wide variety of delicious food available for full 3 course meals. Has a billiard table as well. Daily transfers to beachcomber island and port denarau. Free use of kayaks. NOT an ideal place for backpackers. Has a boutique with various types of souvenirs. A perfect place for relaxation.

Some of things that I didnt find well were
1. The room which I was in, Room 205, had no reception inside the room so I couldn't use my cellular device inside the room. I had to go outside to the balcony to receive signals. This was kinda disappointing for me personally as I need my phone working at all times. But with great service this guys have to offer, you dont need to use your cell phone so not a big issue.

2. Local beer I think was too overpriced. Might as well drink some Heineken with the same price but if your the money man than FIJI BITTER and FIJI GOLD is a must try when you're in Fiji. This is not a big issue as well.

Tip.
Evening activities are quite fun. Ask the staff when is the JOJO show. Also for any issues it's best to see the hotel manager Sam. Very nice guy.

I would give it a 5/5 but number 1 came in the way of that.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank zeefiji
Bula Zeefiji,
Thanks for your great review.
Vinaka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lautoka
Bounty Island Resort
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
First Landing Beach Resort & Villas
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Anchorage Beach Resort? Share your experiences!