“Outstanding resort!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lautoka
Anchorage, Alaska
“Outstanding resort!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We spent nine days at First Landing. It was a wonderful experience. The customer service was great - they were willing to bend over backwards for us. The food is fabulous. We heard a lot of people complain about the food at other resorts - they wished they had stayed at First Landing because the food was so good. The house keepers leave messages in flowers on your bed; the room was kept clean and neat. There is always something to do if you wish, or you can be left alone to rest. Plan to bring your own books to read. They have kayaks and snorkel gear free of charge. The sunscreen at the resort was expensive, but the kind we brought from home didn't work. Make sure you buy sunscreen for an intense sun. For the money, I think we stayed at the best resort on the mainland.

Room Tip: We stayed in a beachfront room. It was delightful to see the sunset in the evening and watch the tid...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alaska2World

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
campbelltown sydney australia
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We visited here for just one night on our way around the Island. The staff were friendly and helpful. The reception were prompt and we checked in with no problems. They even gave myself and friend a free foot massage for my birthday. We ate at the restaurant and the food was yummy they even had all the staff sing Happy Birthday to me in Fijian which was pretty cool. The dining area was outside on a sandy area with awesome views as the sunsets.The accommodation was roomy and we loved the closed in verandah which meant we could sit outside after dark with out being annoyed by the cane toads and the mossies. It was lovey to have a spa bath however when we turned the spa jets on a heap of brown muck shot out at me, they need to regulary run the spas to ensure no mold builds up in the jets. We did also find a few hairs in the bath which was a little gross. Would I stay here again yes I would. Would I recommend it to others yes I would. I found the drinks here were cheaper than the resort I was staying at on the coral coast. Thanks again to the First landing for making my birthday an enjoyable night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank serenaH
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Travelled from a Denarau resort to First Landing, which is located next to Vuda (pronounced vunda) marina.

Taxi costs are expensive for Fiji from Denarau, which I knew then and confirmed even further by now travelling around quite a bit of Viti Levu.

Managed to get a price of 40 FJD (although quoted 30 FJD from Nadi earlier in the day...). There is no way that I could easily determine to use a bus from Nadi, which is just a few FJD pp, as the junction from Queens Rd to Vuda Marina is 5 km and it might be a bit unsafe to try and hail a cab from the junction for that purpose, although, if you had a cellphone, you could organise a pickup from First Landing from the junction at he turnoff as the bus arrived.

The accommodation itself (garden bure) is very nice and the room very pleasant to stay in. The grounds and pool are nicely maintained. The only issue for us was one day the pathway around the entire area was cleaned with a water compressor which was pretty loud and went all day long - might be an idea to warn guests about this so day trips can be taken etc in preference to staying at the resort for that day. I imagine that's a pretty rare occurrence given the nature of the task.

The staff were universally friendly, with excellent service, always happy for a chat and to assist with anything, even to play table tennis with. Fijian standards of hospitality are very high. I personally have no issues with Fiji time. Its a very laid back country and that works well in a resort to my tastes. One other reviewer here expressed some unhappiness about the reception staff, however my experience was that they were great, including a very attractive young lady.

The room is essentially as the pictures look on tripadvisor, although keep in mind they are taken with professional photography. There are little touches like "bula spelled out in a floral arrangement on your immaculately turned bed) There is a phone to call reception or arrange a call elsewhere. The AC works fine. Security, safety and privacy are great.

Internet prices were very steep. Fortunately we used our backup option, which is what I recommend if you are spending a few weeks or more in Fiji, which is to buy a 3G USB modem stick from Vodaphone Nadi (29.95 FJD, preloaded with 1GB data download limit and cheap to top up, bring your passport and ID with your address). This ran very well at First Landing. This is not an option for downloading big files like youtube clips or streaming conferences for which you will probably want resort broadband.

Laundry was also very dear, even a silly price. It is the first and only time I have used resort facilities to wash clothes in Fiji unless a free machine is provided for guest use. Washing clothes with cold power from a shop (FJD 1.95 a bag which goes quite a long way) in the sink and drying them yourself is dirt cheap and effective. This obviously won't be much fun for parents of a family with kids, but is very simple as a couple or a single.

Kayaks and snorkelling gear are free and there is quite good snorkelling on a reef a small kayak paddle off the "left foot".

The dining experience is a highlight here. I think someone complained that people were wearing flipflops or going barefoot, but really, this is catering right on the water on sand and a super casual environment. It is really quite something to dine virtually on the beach in the sunset, softly serenaded by the major harmonies of the local guys and their guitar(s).

The chef's food is streets ahead for this level of accommodation in Fiji we've had yet. Chris really is exceptional and confirming another reviewer, the kokoda (pronounced kokonda) is the best tasted and presented we've had. You could easily have it all over again. His intelligence with ingredients shines through and food was very inviting and visually attractive .

House wine was surprisingly cheap here for Fiji (if I remember this rightly) - about 4.5 FJD a glass. Beer prices not so cheap, but quite average for a four star place like this. The inverse of this price relationship was evident at Vuda Marina restaurant, accessible through the fence via a walk around the marina.

There are a range of different nights to vary the entertainment - eg meke (which was lots of fun, but had a dreadlocked ?African leading the dance when we were there), kava night, lovo night.

Activities can be organised. Lautoka is a 15 FJD taxi ride (10 aud) from the marina but Lautoka is pretty nondescript and I was warned to not stray from the main streets to minimise risk of robbery (the social security here is just 120 FJD [72 AUD] per month, of which 60 is food vouchers, so it is easy to see why robbery is tempting). There is a sugar mill there to visit but tours only operate at certain times. I think there is also a rum distillery.

There is a large orchid garden a fairly short drive away too.

This place would probably be best articulated with day visits to islands in proximity or as a staging point to Waya Island if you plan to stay at Octopus as their boat travels to/from Vuda Marina.

First Landing is reasonable value compared to what is generally available in Fiji and deserves its praise in the reviews. It is consistently good and close enough to Nadi to make it a no brainer as the go-to 4 star resort on the way from arriving at the airport or as the last stop before departure. The airport transfer is going to be cheaper than coming from Nadi town. I don't know how much, but my guess is about 20 or so if arranged through First Landing or maybe 25 using an airport taxi.

The weather in Fiji this time of year is generally hot and humid with occasional rain, so far about once a week or so and usually not that long. Mostly blue skies.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Crusty P
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We checked in at First Landing Resort expecting it as beautiful as it was on their home page but were completely shocked…We got a taxi from Denarau where we spent a week there with top class lodging and service, dropped off at a parking place at First Landing, where a very pleasant guy fetched us up and guided us thru a long passage to a tiny office where a snobbish guy checked us in - First disappointment.
Got checked in to our room, our room was infested with tiny brown ants, ants everywhere and our daughters bed sheets were dirty, (blood stains) so we had to call the maid to come and change the sheets and spray our room. – Second disappointment.
As regards food, I had difficulty in explaining about my gluten free and dairy free meals. I had a card printed in English to explain my allergies, plus I told the waitress about 4-5 times, so I cannot understand the problem as to why it was so difficult to fix gluten free and dairy free meal
Third disappointment.
A course in food allergies for the staff is recommended.
We felt like we were at a backpacker’s motel…..dinner guests with flip flops or bare feet!! As regards breakfast, you get some bread, marmalade, tea or coffee and some fruit. Eggs – you pay extra for that! The birds flying in and out, you get it free!! ..
Fourth disappointment
Met a very pleasant waitress who tried to help me with my food allergies.....pity I didn't I get her name....
No, I definitely do not recommend this hotel to anyone, well of course if you’re not looking for quality living…
p.s. As to the giant foot covered with sand on their homepage……no, there is no sand, just high GRASS – Fifth disappointment

6 Thank swe40
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 28, 2014

When my (now) husband and I discussed our wedding, we wanted a beautiful beach and relaxed atmosphere for our wedding as well as somewhere really nice to stay for our guests who were travelling to Fiji for the wedding. I am SO glad we choose First Landing, it does not have the commercial feel of a hotel chain but is a mix of modern and Fijian all at the same time, exactly what we were after without having to worry about being on/getting to an outer island. We stayed at First Landing from 7 to 12 Jan 2014 for our wedding. Our group occupied the 3 apartments, 1 garden villa and 5 garden bures. And I have split our review into two bits.

THE RESORT - we booked first landing without ever visiting it ourselves, so it was a relief when we arrived and the apartments, villas and garden bures that our group had booked looked EXACTLY like the photos. Depending on where you are staying they range from modern (the apartments) to rustic (the bures), over all they are well above the ‘average’, they are clean and maintained well. The food at the resort is tasty and varied, they even kept the restaurant open for us until late on the day we landed! The apartments and villas have kitchens and the markets are only 20 minutes away so self-catering is an option and one we took up on a few nights. We had private pools at the apartment and villa, but the main pool is big and well maintained too. The beach is great when the tide is in and Left foot Island is great to explore when the tide is out! If you arrive when the tide is out, don’t be too shocked, the beautiful beach returns soon enough  We didn’t really try any of the activities on offer as our group was busy together however there did seem to be quite a few on from fire dancing, kava ceremonies etc. We were a big group in ourselves, but it seemed to us that there is enough space and privacy that it doesn’t seem crowded. Our guests also received, welcome drinks (non-alcoholic) and complimentary foot rubs! As I understand, this is common in Fiji but one of the best features of first landing is its staff, nothing is too much trouble, everyone is happy and relaxed and that sure helps you get into the relaxed Bula Fiji mode! I would recommend first landing to anyone, especially families if it is during the school holidays.

THE WEDDING – the wedding planning process can be difficult and stressful as was ours, our biggest stress came from wanting a catholic priest for the ceremony however Amanda (the Manager) and Shalini (the wedding co-ordinator) went over and above to accommodate my request to have a catholic priest marry us. There were many complications with our choice of location in terms of a catholic ceremony but in the end a willing priest was found . While we couldn’t have it ‘on the beach’ and in one of the conference rooms, we still had a view of the ocean through the huge windows. Amanda and her team did a fantastic job dressing up the conference room to look like a chapel, in fact they even got their resident carpenters to put up a cross! I was extremely happy with the set up for the ceremony, simple yet effective. We had a pre-wedding games night with a lovo dinner and a bbq dinner on the wedding night. The set up on both night was as requested and all our guests enjoyed the food and the wedding cake (coconut cake with lemon icing) thoroughly! Amanda and Shalini were around right till the end on both nights, which made us feel at ease. We felt that our guests thoroughly enjoyed both nights in terms of food, drinks and organisation and set-up.

When we decided on Fiji, I was warned of ‘Fiji time’ however, I found Shalini is usually prompt with her replies and providing information, if for some reason she is busy I found that she would email me saying she was busy. We could not have asked for a better location for our wedding, one that suited our budget but at the same time was not just ‘average’. We were all prepared for Fiji time, and we sure received that nice relaxed pace when we got there. Loved every minute and would certainly pick First Landing as the venue for our wedding again!!!

Room Tip: Apartments and Villas are self-catering if you want to do a bit of cooking and keep food costs down!
5 Thank ALG85
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Bula - from the minute we stepped foot in Fiji, First Landing set out to make our experience fantastic. Our driver, Duna, (from First Landing) couldn't have been more hospitable and accommodating whilst he greeted us, waited for us at the airport (we still don't know how he knew who we were amongst the throng at the airport). Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff at First Landing.
We loved everything - we had our grandson, McIndoe, with us who is four - the hospitality shown to him and the kindness from the staff was exemplary. He had a permanent grin on his face the whole time. Activities were available for him and us everyday and we either swam in the pool or kayaked at the beach or swam at the beach. As their brochure says it is an "unexpected paradise". Make the most of your time here - take the local bus to Lautoka; visit the Orchid Gardens, take a trip to Nadi, take a cruise (Oolala picked us up at First Landing jetty and dropped us off there on the way home) enjoy the wonderful food at First Landing, take up the complimentary foot massage and book another, and visit Vuda Marina (it's just through the fence).
Our room(s) were cleaned every day to a very high standard and little touches like the flowers arranged on our beds or spelling out words of welcome was simply the best.
I could go on and on but we will be back to enjoy again another fantastic holiday. Bula vinaka First Landing.

Room Tip: We had the Garden Bures which were great and close to the pool - all airconditioned plus fans.
3 Thank Anne255118
Fenton, Missouri, United States
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at the First Landing for three nights at the end of a trip to Australia. Although not fancy, this hotel was a lot of fun. We spent a lot of time at the pool. Try walking the beach at low tide to check out the marine life in the tide pools. The restaurant was nice, but we didn't realize they have about four or five menus until the end of the trip. So make sure to ask for the bar menu, pizza menu, dinner menu, drink menu, bbq buffet... etc. Friendly, accommodating staff was always helpful. Be warned that the hot water in the shower doesn't last long, and there are sometimes lizards running around because it is Fiji after all. We were given a voucher for a free foot massage at the spa upon arrival which was nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ashley N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lautoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#4 of 23 in Coral Coast
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Fiji - Sonaisali Island
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hote...
#1 of 1 in Sonaisali Island
Anchorage Beach Resort
Anchorage Beach Resort
#5 of 7 in Lautoka

Been to First Landing Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!