Tripadvisor
Savusavu
All reviews jj and delia yoga retreat yoga platform communal table other guests pool house bayview villa road scholar savusavu bay owners and staff yacht club fijian family fish snorkeling trip wonderful hosts close to town home away from home
Selected filters
Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

Arrived at the resort on a rainy day with heavy winds and was allocated a room with an open roof shower. It was not ideal in weather conditions of Cat 1 cyclone especially for ladies that do not want get their hair wet because they have to attend a function. Room, however was good size but needed a bit of care.

Got allocated another room. Second room was no better. There were wasps in the room, both dead and alive with dirt on the bed pillow and bed. The hotel staff were willing to change the beddings but we could not deal with wasps.

One of the most complicated split system air cons that I had seen or operated.

At the end, we decided to look for another hotel in the rain and wind.

I must say, although the rooms were sub standard, the staff and management were excellent. They understood what our issues were and were very apologetic and ended up refunding the money for the stay.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2020

I arrived at Daku on the day a cyclone was expected in late December. I received a hostile reception from the woman at the front desk. When I asked the receptionist why she was so unwelcoming she told me with annoyance that I had arrived before check in time. I had arrived at about noon and told the woman that I had emailed Daku the day before letting them know I would be arriving at about 11.30am in Savusavu via bus and asking how I would get to Daku resort. I didn’t expect to check in before 2pm. My email hadn’t been read.

As it happened a room was ready and and I was taken to the room by another staff member. I noticed the bottom sheet had marks on it like squashed mosquitoes and was concerned that the sheet hadn’t been washed between guests. As I didn’t want to make a fuss, I told myself the marks probably hadn’t come out in the last wash. The following morning I decided to inspect the sheets more closely and upon pulling back the top sheet found the bottom sheet had a large round yellow rimmed stain on it, and another smaller stain! There was no doubt that the sheet had not been washed. I complained to the same woman at reception who showed the usual disinterest and contempt. When the cleaners came to my room I was told they were giving me brand new sheets straight out of the packet. The assistant manager apologised. She excused the receptionists’ attitude by saying that if she has to do more than one thing at a time she gets flustered.

What I observed on more than one occasion at reception was staff lazing across the reception desk with bored faces and disinterest when dealing with guests. I was paying $225FJD a night and apart from everything else, the staff attitude was insulting.

Then there was the shower problem. There was only cold water for the 4 nights I was was staying there. The only hot shower I had was on the morning I was due to leave. The handyman did try to get the hot water going but there was no cover over the gas flame in the burner (located outside) and the strong winds kept blowing the flame out. Later I was told there was a technical problem too. While not having a hot shower in Fiji in summer isn’t a big deal, a hot shower was part of the deal.

For vegetarians the meal options at Daku are very limited. The lunch menu alternated between fish or chicken. The chef seemed friendly and offered to make me a vegetarian meal. The buffet was $55FJD. I instead opted to eat at a little restaurant by the yacht club that had an excellent vegetarian menu and great food over all at very reasonable prices. Taxis into town cost $4FJD one way, or you can walk.

The best thing about Daku resort is the location. The Bure I was in had a nice view out to the bay. You can also swim in the bay (wear reef shoes) and the sunsets can be stunning. The view from the yoga space is lovely.

To sum up I would say Daku resort offers a unique experience that I have never come across in my travels before and hope not to again in the future.

Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank Earthwander2
DakuResortFiji, Owner at Daku Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2020

I believe Fijians are just about the friendliest, kindest and most attentive people in the world. I have spoken personally to all members of our staff involved in your stay and my belief has not been shaken in any way.
I'm sorry that you and Fiji were so ill-suited.

Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

My 9 yo son and I stayed at Daku resort as a part of a yoga retreat run with Paradise Courses.
Daku is a friendly and down to earth place to stay in gorgeous Savusavu- the owners and staff went out of their way to make us feel like part of the family. Nothing to was too hard - and the smiles are infectious
The food at the resort restaurant was delicious, healthy and gave us a taste for the beautiful local produce.
The yoga platform , set amongst tropical flowers and with a view of the bay provides a perfect space for morning and afternoon yoga
The rooms were clean and comfortable - I highly recommend Daku and cannot wait to go back

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2020

Staying at the resort was truly magical. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. I was very excited to see multiple lion fish while out snorkelling. There are tons of snorkel sites near by, and lots of other activities to do as well.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2020

I stayed at the Daku during a snorkeling trip in November. The cottage was very spacious, comfortable and clean.... The service was absolutely 'on point'. They made me feel like family. I would recommend Daku Resort to those who enjoy caring service.

Date of stay: November 2019