“Fantastic Week of Diving and Fijian Culture!”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
American in London
“Fantastic Week of Diving and Fijian Culture!”
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I had a week in Fiji at the end of October and wanted a small friendly resort. I was traveling on my own before meeting up with a group for more South Pacific diving. I didn’t want a posh resort filled with honeymooners, but I didn’t want a backpackers hovel either!

Daku proved to be the perfect answer! The resort is exactly as it describes itself: “upscale budget” – “comfortable accommodation in traditional bures and villas with stunning views over the bay, a reasonable price, and a staff whose friendliness and warmth give you all the joy of a vintage Fiji holiday.”

Raj, the manager, met me at the airport and soon had me at Daku. Kenni, the host/activities director, made sure that I settled in quickly and invited me to the lecture (in-progress) from a local marine biologist, Johnny Singh. You are definitely part of the family from the time you arrive until you depart.

J.J., the owner, was on-site from the second day. J.J. will definitely keep you entertained! The day I left J.J. took me to the airport and stayed with me until we had worked out an alternative plan to get back to Nadi, due to fog/poor visibility canceling flights in/out of Savusavu (a group of us went to Labasa and got a flight with no problems).

The rooms are very clean and comfortable. I loved the outdoor shower in my room. Each day you return to find fresh flowers scattered around the room/bath. There is a kettle to make tea/coffee and a little fridge for drinks, etc. The ceiling fans kept things cool and comfortable so not having A/C didn’t pose a problem. The windows had screens so bugs couldn’t fly in and out. AND I had almost not mosquito bites!!! Amazing as I am a mozzie magnet!

Meals at Daku are served family style and were very good -- Lots of fish and vegetarian options. Indian night was great as was the BBQ night. I ended up eating all meals except 2 at Daku. The prices are very reasonable and will not break your budget at all.

The dive package they have is very good value for money. You get 7 nights accommodation and 5 days (2 tank per day) of diving at L’Aventure the dive operation at the Cousteau Resort down the road. The dive shop assigns you a locker and keeps your dive gear for you until your last day of diving with them.

The diving around Savusavu was very good (I’ve not dove in other parts of Fiji – FYI). A wide variety from the Pacific cast of critters appeared on each dive. The sea conditions were good. A couple of days were overcast – apart from not having full color in the reef, the diving wasn’t impacted at all. Water temp was 25C so I wore a 5mm wetsuit and was comfortable.

I was very lucky and able to get on a trip to Namena during my time there. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and the diving lived up to my expectations. The soft corals were unbelievable!

I didn’t do any snorkeling, but there are a number of good sites very close to Daku (including the beach across the road).

During my stay, there was a group of seniors from the US who were on a snorkel trip. They were an interesting group of active people. I was able to attend most of the cultural activities that they had planned for the week. The village visit (including kava!) with dancing and singing was a real highlight!

Daku host a variety of classes from yoga to singing to bird-watching. These are definitely worth considering.

If you are looking for the luxury and amenities of a 5-start resort, Daku isn’t for you. However, if you want a comfortable, friendly resort where you’ll be looked after, Daku is a great choice.

I am definitely planning a return trip to Fiji, and a stay at Daku will feature in these plans!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Without a doubt, a choice to book accommodations at Daku Resort perfectly harmonizes with attendance at the Oneness University. I highly recommend adding time to stay at Daku Resort located near Savusavu Fiji. You'll get acquainted with other students prior to or post Level I or II from the Oneness University. Daku Resort is well maintained and gives the added touch of acclaimating to the faster pace of the outside world. It is located a short distance by car (maybe 20 min) from the Oneness Campus and from the airport. The staff kindly offers transport to and from campus and this is very appreciated by the newly arrived student. The setting is lush and comfortable with an easy style. Book your stay with them, you'll be happy that you did. Ellen G :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We booked the luxury villa. The room furnishings are quite basic with a tiny bathroom, but clean, except for our cloudy pool which could have done with a good scrub. The resort grounds are lovely but the beach is brown and dull though the views are nice with great sunsets. Joshika was really helpful from booking to departure and great to deal with but the rack rate isn't VFM. I would recommend the standard bures.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Forestville, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2009

This was my 5th visit to Fiji but my 1st visit to Savusavu. A friend and I booked in to an art course held at Daku Resort. We stayed for a week and had the most amazing time. It was unlike any other trip to Fiji (though they have all been wonderful). Delia, Raj, Kenni, Mereoni, Jorji, Kara, Apete, Seru, Joni, Dimere and Carlo made it an experience we will remember and enjoy for a long time to come. Daku is a simple resort, the beds are very comfortable, the food is healthy and plentiful enough and the choice of activities is abundant if you want them. The snorkeling was exquisite and the massages sublime. The walk to the top of the mountain behind the resort exposed the most glorious views. The resort is within easy walking distance from the town centre and from Costeau Resort (if you want to see how the affluent half choose to spend their holidays). The painting course was terrific aided by our excellent teacher Kerrie who helped me discover my artistic mojo - we went to different fabulous locations every day to sit, contemplate and paint. If you are looking for a 5 star (subjective) pretentious, superficial holiday then don't go to Daku Resort. However, if you are looking for a place that offers a slice of realism with genuine warmth and friendship with an option to relax - or not, then Daku Resort is the place to go. I am looking forward to my next trip - life is too short not to experience such immense pleasure more than once in a lifetime.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I went to Daku resort for a week long yoga cousre - "Yoga with Pam". The course itself was fantastic and Pam was an inspirational teacher. I´m sure I would have enjoyed the course wherever it was set, however it happened to be set in the gorgeous paradise that was Daku resort. Daku resort has a spectacular setting with views overlooking Savu Savu Bay. When we arrived we were welcomed by Kenny and his lovely and very talented family. They told us we were part of the family and they treated us as such for our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for Kenny, Raj or any of the staff. There was so much to do there and I think that even if I had a week there not doing yoga, I wouldn´t have fitting in all the activities I would like to have done. Dinner time was possibly my favourite time! The food was amazing, all-you-can-eat buffet with a different theme every night. Everyone sat around one table and if you are lucky enough to be there when the owner JJ is "in residence", then you are in for a treat - he well keep you well entertained!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank cait2
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We had the unpleasant experience of staying here for 4 nights. We had booked an individual bure (for 2) but they put us in one of the larger bures- had 2 rooms, and was much larger than what we needed. This structure was in AWFUL condition. The wood looked like it was rotting, the bathrooms were really gross looking and all kinds of bugs could make it inside quite easily. In our nights there, I received many many bites-- way more than the rest of our 2 weeks in Fiij. We also saw a HUGE yellow spider- think tarantula-size- in the room.
The food was pretty awful. "Breakfast" is $10- for some toast and fruit that looks like its been sitting out (and plenty of flies). The location is not great- LONG walk into the town, and nothing really close by.
Overall, this was a big mistake- DON'T STAY!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank qpas3
DakuFiji, Owner at Daku Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2009
This person claims to have stayed with us 16 months ago and has just posted. We can find no record of her stay at this time.
Her comments are so out of line with others that we suspect confusion.
If she did stay with us back in May 08, we can only suggest that more recent comments would indicate considerable improvement on our part.
Shrewsbury, England
Reviewed September 6, 2009

The only resort in the world where the owner (JJ) welcomes you, joins you at table, by the pool, (on the pool in 'his' floatie!)....Takes you by boat for a pic-nic and snorkeling across the bay. The traditional Fijian Welcome ceremony makes you part of the "Family". The family who took great care of us and entertained us too. The food is fabulous, home style cooking. A 'vintage' resort with good, old fashioned, service and hospitality. Clean rooms with fresh flowers every day and open-air showers. The course "Yoga with Pam", was excellent, on the big verandah each morning, with a stunning view, gentle breezes, bird song and gentle lapping of the bay. Lots to do and not enough time to do it in. If ever I go back again to Fiji, Daku Resort is the place for me! It's a long way from U.K. but should be added to any trip to Australia...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
Namale Resort & Spa
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
Korovesi Sunshine Villas
#9 of 12 in Savusavu
The Remote Resort - Fiji Islands

Been to Daku Resort? Share your experiences!