“felt right at home...”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed July 23, 2009

awesome place, nice villas, great pool and simply fabulous dishes...purely magic scenes...friend and helpful staff....cant wait to go there again...never for a second i felt bored or that i was alone.....heaven on earth

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 4, 2009

We originally booked into the Hot Springs Hotel for 2 weeks in Savusavu.... but after the first night we checked out!! We had a look around the Daku resort and liked what we saw so stayed for a week. The staff were always polite, friendly and helpful. The Bure's were spacious and cleaned everyday, they had theme dinners most nights which were tasty and Keni and his family put on entertainment a few times a week... which was just lovely! He has a very talented family! Nice quiet surroundings - about 20 minute (max) walk into town - would come back again for sure

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2009

After visiting Vorovoro Island off Labasa in Fiji, I decided to visit Savusavu for 2 days and a night. I was not sure what to expect at Daku resort - I was just looking for a comfortable, clean place with a hot shower. From the main town area I caught a cab which took about 5 minutes to get to Daku resort. Upon passing through the driveway I immediately liked the charm of Daku. The gardens were well-trimmed and the resort is neither too big or too small. The staff were very friendly and with a reason I still do not know now, as soon as I got there they upgraded me to my own 'bure'. It was definitely much more expensive than my booked space. The bure was clean and cute and cozy. It had a queen-sized bed, with a medium-sized bathroom, fridge, kettle and it had its own terrace where you could view the sea. The food is not awesome but nice, they have a lot of fresh fish and barbecue specials available. The swimming pool was not that big but it was ok.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience in Daku resort. I'd recommend someone visiting Savusavu with a budget but want a clean and comfortable place to try Daku. Hope you have a great time as much as I did!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2009

The service was fantastic, JJ and staff were wonderful. The Fiji Bure styled rooms were spacious and clean, loved the outdoor showers in each room. JJ organised outings & activities for everyone and knows the island and community well. Nice quiet location, and not far from town.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2008

I stayed at Daku in may 2008,and participated in a memoir writing course. Most of my fellow participants were much older than me, so bedtime was around 9pm!! Not much happens as far as nightlife in Daku,so if its peace and quiet with some soul searching youre craving, this is the place.Food is basic, but plentiful,the resort does need a bit of TLC.What makes up for any shortcomings is the staff!!! Raj, Kenni and the family are fantastic.If its traditional no frills Fiji you want, then this is the place- I had an unbelievable time, but its not for the "resort 5 star crowd"

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Recently stayed at Daku with a friend who was attending one of the week-long courses they offer. I wasn't quite sure about the place at first but quickly realized what a gem it is. Gets ticks for all the right reasons - very relaxed and friendly, great location and reasonable price. The bure, while not luxurious, was clean and very comfortable and set in lovely tropical gardens overlooking Savusavu Bay. Each has its own patio to chill and enjoy the view from. The Fijian people are renowned for their friendliness and Keni, his family and staff live up to the reputation, giving the place a wonderful laid-back, cruisie atmosphere. They could not have been more helpful and organized various outing such as visiting a Fijian village and the local pearl farm, diving and snorkeling. Recommend doing it all. The town of Savusavu is a short $3F taxi ride from the resort and lots of fun to explore.
I was charmed by the place. Would love to return one day.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Through my research, I could not find an inexpensive hotel in Savusavu. So when I came across Daku, I was excited. Our traveling group consisted of 5 of us, so we rented the 4 bedroom pool house at an incredible $700 and something USD for 7 nights! We had just come from spending 5 nights at The Octopus Resort on Waya Island, so we were very spoiled. Daku was the complete opposite of Octopus. At Octopus, there were many young , international travelers. At Daku, it was an older crowd mainly from Australia. It was way quieter there as well with a Christian vibe to it. We tried to be respectful when we partied by staying in our house and closing all the windows. Fortunately, there weren't any bures near us. The house was very large and clean but only had ceiling fans. It was very helpful having 2 bathrooms with 5 of us staying there. The mattresses were paper thin, however, and our backs suffered as a consequence. The grounds are well kept and the food was good though. We had a great time during "India Night". We appreciated that Kenae insisted on counting us as "family", but we really never felt like we fit in. There were plenty of activities to keep us busy. You could walk into town, but it is very hot and humid, so we took $3 FJD taxi rides everywhere. The rain forrest/copra factory trip was really nice. We tried to ride bicycles one day, but the bikes were in very bad condition as well as the roads. Kayaking was fun. Supposedly, there was good snorkelling out front, but when I tried it, the water was too cloudy because there was construction being done on the road. We could've got Kenae to arrange a snorkelling trip for us, but we just ran out of time and didn't get to it. We skipped the village visit because we did that already on Waya. I enjoyed the bats living in the trees all around, but I didn't like the gigantic wasps everywhere and the mosquitos. Basically, we all were wishing that we stayed 7 nights at Octopus and only 5 nights at Daku. It's not that Daku was a bad place, I just think that our personalities didn't match. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends