“2 for 1 dive offer with JMC”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Diving at JMC and staying at Daku left us spending very little time at the resort, which was perfectly fine as we weren't looking for luxury or opulence offered by more expensive resorts. Daku was comfortable, clean and the staff very obliging. Transfers to JMC and/or Savusavu were readily organised by the forever helpful Kenny, George, Carlo, Raj and last but not least JJ. The familiar atmosphere during meals meant a set menu at a large table with all the other resort guests. If this is not your go, a taxi fare into Savusavu is only FJ$ 4 and there are various dining options in town. This was our first time in Fiji and we loved it. Remember to switch to Fiji time and forget - if you can - to wear a watch ;)
Diving was fabulous, coral and fish life very healthy and abundant - the JMC dive staff knowledgeable and as helpful as all other people we met.
We will certainly consider Daku again as it suited our needs perfectly.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bure 3, overlooking a beautifully tended garden and seaview beyond. A double bed and a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This trip was arranged through Road Scholar formerly Elder Hostel. We enjoyed the friendly staff and family atmosphere. All residents can get to know each other and eat together if they wish. There is some one always available to ask questions of or to help you. A couple chairs in our room would be nice so you didn't have to only sit on the bed or outside on the veranda. Got a few mosquito bites outside but not in the room so the little repellent machine must have worked. If insects and geckos bother you then Fiji is not for you. Our room had a fan and air conditioner. If the fan was able to be turned up higher, I don't think we would have had to use the air conditioner at all. More towels available at the pool would be nice.
We only stayed a day and a half because I broke my wrist (slipped on algae on concrete boat ramp, me not being careful enough!). JJ was a real help in this emergency. He helped make arrangements to get my husband and I on the plane home as quickly as possible. We hope to try this snorkeling adventure again here next year .

Room Tip: Not there long enough to walk the whole property.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have just spent a week at a beading workshop at Daku Resort , at Savusavu. Also there at the same time, was another group attending a pastel drawing workshop. I had a wonderful time, and hope to return in 2014 if the beading course is run again. When we were there, the owners Delia and JJ were away , and it was run ably by Raj, and Keni, his family and staff, who referred to us as 'family' and treated us with great kindness and warmth. I had Bure 1 to myself, it had a double and a single bed, a bathroom with toilet, two hand basins and a very generous shower recess. The bed was comfortable, the unit was serviced every day, it was clean, comfortable, bright and airy. There was a ceiling fan that I used, and an air conditioner that I didn't turn on. Adequate storage space, locked drawer for my valuables, desk for writing, mosquito coils, - and a small verandah with 2 padded chairs and a table. The verandah overlooked the lovely garden, and past the garden, the sea was visible. There was a can of fly spray that I didn't need. I opened all the shutters and slept with just the flywire screens closing in the room. Keni's wife Mereoni oversaw all the meal preparation, and everyone loved the food - which usually had a Fijian influence. Mereoni gave us a demonstration of Tapa painting, and described the preparation of the cloth. We were able to order a Tapa picture to our own design, and Mereoni prepared these for sale. Keni often gave a talk during meal time about aspects of Fijian life, and he escorted us to a village where the adults sang for us and the children danced. We were introduced to kava, and invited to try the beverage. Karlo of the Magic Hands was available for massages, his wife Dee helped with catering and on reception. In the evening, if we begged enough, the family would sing a Capella for us, - a precious experience, they sang like angels. This is a resort with a Fiji flavour, run by Fijians, and often to Fiji time. There is a nice pool that was cleaned each morning while we had breakfast on the open verandah. I didn't find the sea very attractive, as it had a coral beach and the sand was dark, however, others in the group swam and enjoyed it.
Just one morning there was no hot water for the shower. I would have liked a desk lamp on the writing desk. Don't expect O.H.& Safety standards that we are used to in Australia. A handyman would have a wonderful time here. Some light bulbs were blown, some toilets ran all the time - ( something that concerned me as I came off a farm where water was precious. ) No toiletries were provided except for soap. No hair dryers in the rooms. Don't get your knickers in a knot if things don't run to time, - this is Fijitime. Relax, rest, enjoy the pace, the peace, the beauty and the Fijians. Now, if you are looking for a shiny, plastic, 5 star resort, Daku is not it. It is quiet, quirky, secluded, set in spacious tidy grounds, populated by numerous birds, staffed by lovely warm people who go out of their way to make your stay with them very special.

Room Tip: There are units for groups and families, a unit with its own plunge pool, and units for single peopl...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Lots of single beds in cottage. Beds not really made. No couch or chairs for sitting. No hot water in bathroom sinks. Noise from cars going by on road. Lights blinked in and out. Nice pool area but pool not very clean. Limited wifi only in lobby. Bug spray cans in every room. Bathrooms not very clean. Grounds Beautiful. Food was OK but no options. Too far to walk to town for other restaurants after dark. Beach is mostly rocks, no chairs or places to sit. One of the cheaper options in the area but even then overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Staying at Daku was the perfect Fijian escape, just close enough to town. Secluded & quaint with a friendly & helpful staff. They make you feel like family & everything is easy going. The resort is located 20 minutes walking distance from town. Perfect distance for a nice afternoon stroll to the market & shopping, but still a good distance to feel like your away from it all. The cottage was relaxed with a beautiful ocean view & all the amenities that were needed. Beautiful snorkeling was located just across the street, and the resort offered many everything you needed to keep you entertained. Incredible spot for Yoga, every morning the view was breathtaking. Wonderful place & great people! Loved my stay in paradise!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Daku Resort is in a wonderful location overlooking Savsavu Bay. I had a wonderful week here in August at a Nia Retreat. I must say that the staff & everyone at the Resort was fabulous. Delia went out of her way to accommodate our needs whether it is to arrange massages with Carlo or take us on snorkelling expeditions & village visits. Kenny & all of the staff were great & the food was very good. The massages by Carlo were also excellent.

The rooms were a little basic. My main criticism of the resort is the quality of the bedding with very uncomfortable mattresses & pillows. This was not just my experience but that of several of my friends who were there for the retreat. My outside shower was cute but if I were to go again I would definitely ask for one of the lower front rooms such as No 2. They are more spacious & comfortable.

There were a few maintenance & safety issues which I think should also be addressed. A broken filter cover by the pool could have resulted in a nasty fall & the separation from the pool area down to the main dining area was also dangerous without proper fencing. This area is just looking a little tired.

Overall the resort is lovely & please don't let these small issues put you off, because the experience at Daku is special. If these small issues are addressed this would improve the quality of the stay immensely.

Room Tip: Newer rooms closer to the Bay eg Room 2
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Daku resort is a fantastic place to relax, snorkel, do yoga, and feel very well cared for. I went to Daku with my 10 year old son and we had a wonderful time. Food and hospitality were excellent, great pool, quiet and beautiful surroundings, yet convenient to get to town. JJ and Delia are fantastic hosts. We spent our days doing some of the most amazing snorkeling with the resort's boat and evenings playing scrabble, reading and relaxing. I am looking forward to going back with my husband and and will recommend Daku to all of my friends. This is my first tripadvisor review and I could not have picked a better place as my first rating.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family