“Writing in Paradise”
Review of Daku Resort

Daku Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went to Daku to participate in a writers workshop for a week. We were treated as members of the family, the food was fabulous, service was friendly and always with smiles; the day trips organised for us were varied and brilliant - I loved the snorkelling and visit to a traditional village. The Daku oozes charm and friendliness. I felt looked after and very welcomed. It's located within walking distance to SavuSavu, overlooking a scenic bay. Watching the various moods of the bay during the course of the day was a lovely thing to do. If you want a holiday where you can get away from the hurly burly and hang out in a chilled out place, this is the place to do it. Plenty of opportunity for photographers too. I'd definitely return to Daku.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I enjoyed every minute of my week at the recent writing workshop at Daku Resort. It was my first trip to Fiji so I was happy to see more of the countryside by flying into Lambasa and taking a taxi to Savu Savu. JJ runs a resort with real heart and the staff are marvelous. Daku resort is set in a tropical garden, the pool is refreshing and I loved the open air dining areas. We ate meals together at one long table which creates a great atmosphere. The food was wholesome and tasty, Fijian and Indian style cooking with plenty of fresh tropical fruit and vegetables perfect for my vegetarian diet. The rooms were rustic, cool and comfortable. The stone walled open air shower was great. I enjoyed a hot stone massage with Kalo on the first day relaxing into the easy Fijian pace of life. The writers workshop with Jan was a wonderful experience in itself but what a bonus to be writing in paradise! Johanne

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank joroma709
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Daku Resort is a special place! I attended an Anthony Robbins (Tony Robbins) Life and Wealth Mastery seminar on the island and stayed at Daku after my trip so that I could rest, relax and reflect on everything i had learned. Little did i know that I had chosen the perfect place to do so. The swimming pool is set in an idylic, oasis, everything was clean and beautiful. The little cottages are all nestled into this incredible setting and are both private and adorable! i chose one with it's own swimming pool, it wrapped around the back patio which had adirondac chairs and overlooked the ocean! I swam, I read, I went to the main pool to socialize with other guests and use the large pool, everything was amazing. I was able to order a massage at check in, that turned out to be wonderful, it was in my room, it was perfect and it was very inexpensive. The owner is on site and cares very much that everyone is totally happy, he dined with us and was a wonderful addition to our adventure. I could go on and on but i will just say... Stay here and you will not be disappoointed!

Room Tip: I don't think there was a bad room there, they all looked fantastic and unique! Ocean view, gard...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rett P
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our stay at Daku was wonderful. The rooms were tasteful, practical, clean, and felt very tropical with flowers on towels and in the room. The showers were hot and the plumbing always worked. The staff were unbelieveably helpful and friendly. The grounds were landscaped with tropical flowers and bushes. We were on a snorkeling tour, and the fish and coral were beautiful. Everyone in our group was pleased with the accommodations. The food was beyond any expectations. It was fresh (pineapple, papaya, watermelon, coconut), very healthy, and matched any creation by renowned chefs. The owner, JJ, was often in our midst and ate with our group. He paid attention to every detail. We can not recommend Daku highly enough.
Paul and Mary

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VirginiaMary P
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This review is long overdue. My boyfriend and I spent a few gorgeous nights at Daku and I can't say enough about the hospitality experienced in our short stay. On arrival, we were greeted by a flustered JJ carryning fresh coconut drinks for us, and he was slightly disappointed that he didn't get to pick us up from the airport after we surprised them with an early visit.

We were given the keys to our room which was very spacious and tidy. The best touch to the room was the mosquito repellent and fly screen because as someone who gets bitten quite a lot, I hardly got bitten during my stay. It's the little things that count - and that's something that you experience quite a lot at Daku. There are so many little touches that make you feel welcome.

As my partner went diving (arranged by Daku), JJ, Delia and co. made sure there was plenty of activities for me to do. I got to spend time with JJ's family (who also made me feel like one of them!) and experience the true Fiji - from snorkelling, hiking to untouched waterfalls, meeting villagers, boat trips and having a big Fijian feast the night before we left.

When you need to unwind, the deck chairs by the pool, a good book and a hat is all you need.. and a pina colada doesn't hurt either. I also recommend getting a hot stone massage from Kalo before you leave!

It was sad to leave - and JJ drove us to the airport and waved us off as we boarded. When I go back to Savusavu, I definitely know where I'm going to say. Thank you so much for making our trip amazing JJ and Delia!

Paula

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

A great finish to our amazing honeymoon - came to Fiji for the diving (Tui Tai, see separate review) and we'll return for Daku! We only stayed one night, but JJ still treated us like family, even drove us to the airport. Coming off the week long dive boat we were not excited to stay where we had been previously, so we were recommended this place by the Tui Tai office. We showed up and they had a one bedroom bure that had just opened up, gave us a great rate ($150FJ) and went out of their way to make us comfortable, even letting us check in at 9:00 am. JJ arranged a two-tank dive for us in the afternoon but we cancelled and decided to be lazy, went for a cab ride and stroll downtown instead. Both of us wished we could stay another week in the bure, but with money running low it was time to go home. Thanks JJ for the wonderful retreat!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank There-n-back-allover
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Daku Resort was the perfect holiday to complement our Sydney’s northern beaches lifestyle - a great escape with teenagers aged 17 and 16 , to a world where personalised service and experiences were the order of the day. From the intimate and moving kava ceremony on arrival, to the never ending enticing daily excursions on offer by our hosts/ hostess JJ, Delia and Kenani, the electronic age became a figment of both our and our children’s imagination. Communal dinner settings, yoga retreats, traditional village excursions, river tubing, thermal hot springs, snorkelling, Jean Cousteau scuba diving , cheap taxi commutes to Savusavu town, markets, shops and restaurants were the order of the day. When and if required however, cocktails and our private villa with pool provided the perfect escape. A big thank you to the Daku team – life has never been quite the same – bula, bula!

Room Tip: Pool Villa
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family