“a great place to learn to dive!”

Jean-Michel Cousteau Diving
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Savusavu
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Savusavu, on the northern Fijian island of Vanua Levu, Jean-Michel Cousteau Diving offers unparalleled access to some of the world's most spectacular seascapes. Want to try SCUBA before signing up? No problem! Join our instructors in the pool to learn the basics. But be warned - you'll be hooked! For those already certified, we offer something more adventurous. Join Jean-Michel Cousteau's hand picked dive team as they explore newly identified, but as yet unnamed dive sites. Be amazed at the coral heads of Namena or cruise the walls and canyons of Shark Alley. Our team is waiting for you. Jean-Michel Cousteau Diving Dive Center has everything you need for a Fijian SCUBA diving adventure. From adrenaline filled boat dives to relaxing snorkel excursions, we are sure you will find what you need.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I came to the JM Cousteau resort with a large group of friends and family, which included divemasters, experienced divers and complete newbies. To get my open water certification, I completed the online PADI course at home, and did the pool dives and open water dives in Fiji. My instructor, Geoff, was encouraging and pushed me to get comfortable quickly. In fact, we skipped the pool and did our first dive straight off the dock. Doing my "pool dives" in the beautiful clear water, sharing my instructor with only one other student, was certainly better than being crammed in a pool back home with dozens of other divers. My open water dives were just as wonderful, and I was certified within a couple of days.

Once I finished the certification I was able to join the rest of my group for some more advanced dives, including sites at Namena. Having never done scuba before, I was in awe of everything I saw, but even the most experienced divers in my group were impressed with the variety and abundance of marine life. In fact, even my divemaster spotted a fish he had never seen before, after 13 years of diving in Fiji.

The staff at JM Cousteau take excellent care of their guests, and their hard work ensures that all you have to do is relax and enjoy your dive. Everyone we interacted with was professional and friendly, including Geoff, O'nella, Gina, Mere, Rodney and Don. I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We picked Savu Savu purely based on JMC's recommendations as one of the top 10 dive sites in the world. My husband and I are very experienced divers having dived all over the world and this set up was one of the worst I have dived with. For inexperienced divers who are still in awe of being under the sea, there are fish and soft corals and a boat that is in good nick. What they don't tell you is the hurricane last year has badly effected the local reef (where they like to go due to low fuel costs) and there really is not a lot to see. The coral is badly damaged and for half the dive at Mashmallow, we saw only the sandy bottom with the sporadic fish. We spoke with our guide and requested dive sites just outside the reef which were better. We then had a day out at Namena which was the reason we came. With a group of 11 divers and two guides, the site chosen for the first dive was two pinnacles, too small for the group so they were nose to fin and eating bubbles. We actually sat back and let everyone go then enjoyed the dive looking for minutia. After a dive they provide a packet of biscuits for everyone to share and water. Having worked in the industry as a divemaster and an instructor, my expectations were just too high purely because I thought the operation would be run very well due to the JMC name being attached. No one can control hurricanes, rough seas etc but I did expect the operations to be far better than they were. Some have said it was due to the boss not being there, but all I can tell you is they will tout dive sites that do not have much to see, limited briefing if any, and yes they do provide guides but they don't show you anything. Jonny the marine biologist came out on one dive and simply stayed with the one JMC resort guest and showed him everything and then did not show the other 4 divers that had come from other resorts. I also dived with a 12 year old boy who had done a resort dive, no course but then was allowed out on an open water dive with 2 adults and one divemaster. He was at least 5 fins away from the divemaster for most of his dive which made me uncomfortable but this must be ok for JMC resort guests. Wonder if it is for Padi? All in all, very disappointing. If you have more than 30 dives, you may be a little disheartened.

4  Thank CccccMelbourne
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We dived with Cousteau during our recent stay in Savusavu. The dives were well organised, professionally managed yet with enough freedom to make each dive unique and fun. Even when the weather turned Cousteau quickly re-planned our day to dive within the reef and organised a great night dive. Sharks, barracuda, parrot fish and superb coral gardens. If you want to dive with some of the best in Fiji look no further than Cousteau. Thanks Rodney, Agge, Mere, Grace, Selo and Geoff

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I cannot say enough about the Diving experience we enjoyed at JMC Diving in early May. The staff at the Dive Shop were highly professional; they took care of our every need and each dive became an adventure in itself. The quality of the Diving itself was spectacular; something for everyone from beginners to advanced. Most of our Diving was on the Namena Island Reef Reserve; a reef that is in excellent condition. Plenty of healthy Soft and Hard coral species and the fish life was just spectacular. Sharks, Manta Rays and Turtles call this reef home; a perfect example of sustainable development within a negotiated framework of protection. This reef provides employment for the local population whilst protecting a marine environment in a sustainable and cooperative manner. Well done to all the team at JMC Diving and thank you for such a wonderful holiday. The memories will be treasured for a lifetime. A&B

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We reserved diving with JMC Diving through the Daku Resort for 6 tanks. The welcome was friendly and the dive masters watchful for divers experience and crafted each dive to benefit everyone in the group they took us to several spots in and out of the Namena Reserve for great diving where we encountered sharks, an abundance of corals and creatures including the blue ribbon eel.

The divers were all friendly and the dive masters knew the reefs better than I could have imagined. That allowed us to maximize our pleasure at depth. The grip on diver safety was firm to keep all of us safe and ready for the next dive. The professionalism was outstanding.

We had the pleasure to meet Don, the manager, a nice and capable guy and to cap it off, I got to meet JMC himself who was visiting to celebrate his 75th while I was celebrating my 50th. One heck of a nice guy and a living legend.

I cannot say enough good things about this organization and recommend diving with them for a great experience.