“Pristine Coral Reefs”

“Pristine Coral Reefs”
Reviewed December 21, 2006

MOODY’S NAMENA RESORT – TRIP REPORT – OCTOBER 12-22, 2006

---

PURPOSE: Experience the world class snorkeling and nature. We were not disappointed.

BEST TIME TO GO: Emailed the resort (in December 2006) and asked the best time to come for optimal snorkeling conditions, we could come ANYTIME. Joan Moody (owner), replied that October was the best month for snorkeling. So, we made our reservations for October.

WEATHER: Was rotten, such is life. 20-30 mph winds and occasional rain for 8.5 days. We had 1.5 days of sun with gentle breezes. When the sun came out and the wind died down it was heaven.

TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS: Did it all myself, direct, online, with a credit card. Emailed the resorts to ask questions. Travel was smooth. I like having the print-out of confirmation emails, etc. Research tools below (don’t forget to delete from your browser temporary internet files, cookies, and history, frequently):

Airfares: --- try the month long search for the days they fly to Fiji and the cheapest days.

Forums and descriptions (just a sample):

---

Also compare prices at a few travel agencies to see if they can give you a better deal than you can find on your own.

FLIGHTS: 1. Los Angeles (LAX) to Nadi, Fiji (NAN) on Air Pacific, $1,100 person round trip (RT). 2. Nadi (NAN) to Savusavu (SVU) on Sun Air, $200 per person RT. Made reservations directly with Air Pacific on their website. Joan Moody made the reservations for our Sun Air flight to/from Savusavu. To reach the domestic terminal in Nadi, Fiji, just go outside and it is but a few minutes walk along the sidewalk in front of the terminals.

I made our reservations in January 2006 with Air Pacific and Moody’s. There was an airfare sale in August 2006 for $798 RT LAX to NAN. That was the cheapest airfare within that 10-month time frame.

1. LAX to NAN (and return) try to get seats where you can lay down to sleep (back of the plane). Took Ambien, it worked but I did not sleep well because I couldn’t lie down. If my husband and I can get an aisle and a window together (empty seat between us) we can take turns laying down. We got seats with plenty of leg room, but the armrests did not fold up. Food on airplane was, well, airplane food, barely edible. We had noise-canceling headphones (Bose). We could read and relax. You will still hear things, but it is muted.

2. For the domestic flight, Sun Air, they not only weighed our luggage but they also weighed us! We had to stand on the scale with our carry-on bags. Sun Air left an hour earlier than scheduled, so, check in as soon as you can, and stay close. On the return flight we were bumped, twice, because there were a lot of Namale Resort guests flying to Nadi. But, we were only delayed about 45 minutes. Sun Air brought in another plane, a 9 passenger plane, for my husband and I, and a family of 4. This small plane was actually much newer and nicer than the larger one we flew over on. We had a smoother ride as well. Had to pay for overweight luggage (Sun Air) on return from SVU to NAN, $30 total (this is common on small planes).

Returning home we had about an 8-hour wait in Nadi before our 10 p.m. departure NAN to LAX. Got a day room at Tanoa International. They will pick you up at the airport and give you a ride back (or a taxi ride is $5). We had lunch and went to bed. Got up, took a shower, and headed to the airport about 8 p.m. I highly recommend doing this. We do not like to shop and there really wasn’t anything else we wanted to do in that time frame. We had bought Fiji souvenirs on our previous trip in 2000.

---

Returning home to LAX, we decided to just stay the night and not worry about how long customs would take, making our connecting flight, etc. Stayed at Doubletree Hotel Los Angeles Airport. We highly recommend it. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Food in bar was great. There is nothing like that first hamburger when you get back to the States.

---

BOAT RIDE: Moody’s arranged for us to be picked up at Savusavu Airport (very small and primitive) by taxi and taken to the boat dock. Boat ride was 2.5 to 3 hours in extremely rough seas. The boat captain said it was as rough as it gets, lucky us. That was one wild ride. Take something for motion sickness, you may not need it, but better safe than sorry.

RESORT: Cost for 10 days $2,365 x 2 = $4,730. Gorgeous island with astonishingly beautiful beaches. Because it is up on a ridge the views are fantastic. Lushly vegetated (native and introduced), lots of tall trees. The owners, Tom and Joan Moody, are kind and thoughtful, they take care of everything for you. The bures are attractive and comfortable. Beautifully maintained inside and out. The towels may not match and some have holes in them, but they are clean. Toilets are flushed with seawater into a standard septic system, water for showers, sinks, and drinking is rainwater collected from the roof and stored in a cistern. Shower and sinks have hot water. Each bure is a self-contained unit. All bures have propane lights (easy to light), some have solar lights, and 2 flashlights. Water pressure was low in our shower, but we had hot water. Your bure has a one-burner propane stove to heat up a hot water kettle for tea and coffee (instant). The floor boards are spaced with a narrow gap in between them (so the bures won’t be blown away during cyclones). To sum up the experience, think of upscale camping with a bed, running water, showers, and flush toilets.

Deck around bure for sitting, lounging, tanning, bird watching, reading, and also armchair snorkeling. When on the deck of our bure, number 1, we could look down on the coral reef. I saw a turtle one day, and a giant triggerfish another day. Birds were always flying by, see below for list. Bats fly by in the evening. The wildlife comes to you.

FOOD: Set meal times: 8:00 a.m. breakfast, 12 noon lunch, between 6-7 p.m. dinner. If you get to the dining bure early (before dinner) there is usually a snack … chips and salsa, popcorn, cheese and crackers. It is good food (not gourmet), and beautifully presented. John (waiter, etc.) always folded the napkins differently every meal. Mostly Americanized recipes, some Fijian, and some Indian. Lots of variation: Fresh baked bread (white bread) at every meal, fresh fruit and fruit juice for breakfast, eggs cooked to order or pancakes or cinnamon rolls, and coffee. Lunch was soup, sandwiches or lasagna or quesadillas or tacos. Dinner was beef or lamb or fish or chicken, vegetables, salads, and dessert. Ice water with all meals. John is very attentive and always remembers your name, refills your water glass, removes your plate, etc.

COMMUNAL TABLES AT MEALS: There are 2 large round tables in the main dining bure. With a lazy-susan in the center of each table where the serving bowls and platters are placed, and you just spin it to get to whatever dish you want and serve yourself. Everyone sits where they want. My husband and I really enjoyed eating with everyone else and talking. We would compare what marine life we had seen and just visit with each other. The resort was full most of the time we were there (12 guests); one German couple, the rest Americans. Most of the guests were divers. The divers said the diving doesn’t get any better than Namena, now we would be spoiled for life. Tom Moody (owner) is a wonderful conversationalist, I enjoyed listening to his stories. Since the weather was so bad this was sometimes the highlight of our day!

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES: There is a refrigerator in the dining room stocked with beer, wine, soft drinks, fruit juice, water … take what you want (or ask John) and write it down on your running tab on the bar. For my husband and I we would both have a beer at lunch (Fiji Bitter), and a glass or 2 of wine at dinner. At the end of 10 days our bar bill was $196. Very reasonable for a resort. You might want to bring a bottle of vodka, or whatever, if you like mixed drinks (it would be less expensive). Moody’s provides the ice and mixers.

Here are some good photos of the resort on flickr.com:

NATURE

SNORKELING: OUTSTANDING, despite the weather. Variety and health of coral (hard and soft) impressed me the most. The snorkeling along shore on either side of the dock was excellent. The farther you swim away from the dock (along the shore) the better it gets. There are some cement steps off the dock to enter and exit the water. Also staff will take you in a small boat and drop you off at one end of the reef and you snorkel back to the dock with the current. The coral reef along the shore is very shallow and the drop off is gradual.

We had our own snorkeling guide, Jonah, he would stay with us when we went on the dive boat to the outer reef and went with us a couple of times along the shore in a small outboard motor boat. Jonah would help us in the water, help us out of the water, remove our fins for us before we got back in the boat, and stay with us while snorkeling. He made sure we were safe. Yes, we were SO spoiled!

Water was cold, wore lycra dive skins, could have used a wet suit on top of that. Could not snorkel the other side of the island (the side with the beaches) ocean conditions were too rough.

Fish, we saw just about everything in the fish guides: Groupers, anthias, cardinalfish, batfish, butterflyfish, angelfish, anemonefishes, wrasses, parrotfish, blennies, surgeonfishes, unicornfish, triggerfish, puffer and boxfish. You might want to bring your own fish identification guides.

Went on the dive boat to the outer reef twice. Small platform on back of boat for getting into the water and a ladder for getting back into the boat. WOW! The Grand Canyon dive site was awesome. On one side is a pristine coral reef (at water level). On the other side, a drop off into the abyss; saw giant groupers and parrotfish, sea snake, white-tipped reef sharks, turtles. I was mesmerized … I have never seen such a coral reef, like a garden. We have been snorkeling to: Maui, Hawaii, Akumal, Mexico, Bonaire, and Beqa Island, Fiji. Fiji has the healthiest marine environment of all, and I believe the best snorkeling.

Saw lots of sharks! My husband and I had never seen sharks while snorkeling, and we never wanted to see sharks while snorkeling. The very first time in the water I saw a black-tipped reef shark about 2 feet long. Every other time we went in, except once, we saw either black-tipped or white-tipped reef sharks (4-6 feet long). I know it is an example of a healthy coral reef ecosystem (having sharks). As Tom Moody said, it is JUST a shark! They are magnificent animals and I am glad I saw them.

GEAR: We brought all our own snorkeling gear. Dive shop doesn’t have anything to sell, it is just for storing the diving gear. Bring anti-fog stuff for your mask. We tried the McNett Sea Gold anti-fog gel this time and it works the best of anything we have tried:

---

Also bought new fins, Apollo bio-fin pro. It was a real splurge but so worth it. Especially with strong currents:

---

BIRDS: My husband is the birder. LIST: White-tailed tropic birds, red-footed boobies, Pacific swallow, lesser frigatebird, crested tern, black-naped tern, Polynesian starling, common mynah (introduced), Vanikoro broadbill, orange-breasted myzomela (honeyeater), spotted dove, grey-back white-eye (Fiji silver eye), Pacific pigeon, white-throated pigeon, wandering tattler, white-collared kingfisher, and bulbul. And the most exciting, the Fiji banded rail (flightless, walks around on the ground like a chicken). The banded rail is extinct in most of Fiji.

At breakfast and lunch we would feed bread crumbs to the birds outside the windows of the dining bure, you can see most of the island’s birds from the dining room.

Red-footed Booby Nesting Colony: The boobies nest in trees along the shore, in an area past the dock. They are noisy and smelly, but the red feet and the blue beak are very attractive, and you can get fairly close to them. On Namena they call the booby nests – booby BEDS.

VOLCANIC ERUPTION IN TONGA: There was a volcanic eruption sometime in 2006 in Tonga. The pumice rocks, from this eruption, floated west from Tonga, straight into Moody’s Namena Island (and all over Fiji). The tides and waves would deposit pumice rocks on the beaches, sometimes the pumice would be a foot thick. Then, the next tide it would be gone and would wash up on another part of the island. The staff are shoveling it up, removing it, and eventually they will get it all.

INSECTS: They do not spray at the resort. They provide insect repellant and mosquito coils. The beds have insect nets. I was eaten alive, my husband wasn’t bitten once, go figure. I think the insects were particularly bad for us because of the weather.

GECKOS: Did you know that geckos make sounds? They make a kind of cooing sound. I would talk to the ones in our bure and they seemed to listen! We enjoyed them. And I really appreciated their valiant efforts in eating the insects in our bure. In the dining bure, geckos like to crawl on the ceiling. So, the waiter, John, had a ritual every night. He walked around with a long bamboo pole, moving (herding) the geckos away from peak of the ceiling so the geckos wouldn’t fall.

FLYING FOXES (fruit bats): We would see one every day (Pteralopex acrodonta) around 4:00 p.m., just outside our bure, hanging upside down in a tree, about 20-30 feet away. It is a real thrill watching them fly. So considerate to come out while it was still light so we could see them. During volleyball games the bats would fly around the banana trees looking for ripe bananas. Tom Moody said that August is a good month for seeing them 24/7 on the island. There is a fruit or flower that they come for during August. In October the most we saw were 2 or 3.

FIJIAN CULTURE: Staff are all native Fijian. They speak excellent English and are friendly, helpful, and they want you to have a good time. Staff perform a Kava ceremony with Fijian dancing on Saturday nights, after dinner, for the guests. We sat in a circle on the floor taking turns drinking Kava, then staff would invite US to dance with them, yes, you dance as well, and it was fun! The staff sang Happy Birthday for a guest one night after dinner, served birthday cake, and sang a couple of Christian hymns. They have the most beautiful voices, it was a very special experience. Not at all contrived or commercialized. I got the impression they really enjoyed themselves as well.

We would love to return to Namena if we could be guaranteed good weather, like that’s going to happen! We want to snorkel on the other side of the island, the beach side. Lie on the beach and read and enjoy the surroundings. We loved the wildlife and the people. You feel like you are just part of the family when you are a guest. Of course, it was expensive. But despite rotten weather, challenging snorkeling conditions, and the Tongan pumice, I am glad we went. As a friend told me, you just need to: revise your expectations. Keep your sense of humor and sense of adventure and you will have the trip of a lifetime. If I can answer any questions, please email me.

Sue Williams
Sue_williams3@hotmail.com
sdwilliams@bendcable.com

• Liked — Snorkeling and nature.
  • Disliked — Boat ride.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank Sue W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I found Moody's Nemana Resort here on Trip Advisor while looking for a tropical, secluded location for our honeymoon and definately was not disappointed.

Some of the highlights were 10 incredible scuba dives all within about 15 minutes by boat from their dock, beautiful views from our burre looking out over the ocean, warm (80's) weather in the middle of their winter, great accomodation of our vegetarian diet at the communal meals...just to name a few. The Moody's staff are all local Fijians which helps the local economy. The staff were very friendly and professional, especially the dive staff.

The dive staff were careful to check out our newly acquired scuba diving skills and let us familiarize ourselves with the rental dive gear(via a shore dive) prior to doing boat dives on their reef. I had heard it was some of the best diving in the world, I don't have much to compare it to being a new diver but it was like what you see on National Geographic programs on TV....incredible hard and soft coral, amazing numbers of fish, reef sharks, turtles, barracuda, blue ribbon eels (saw 1), leaf fish, lion fish and on and on. Safety stops on top of the bommies were the best :)

The island is about a mile long and maybe 1/5th of it has been "developed" with dirt roads leading to the burres which are quite nicely spaced so as to always feel like you have your own area. Meals are a fun time to get together with everyone which are likely to be from all over the world. When we were there we had couples from Australia, Germany and the US there. Several of the couples were repeat customers, we'll be joining that group soon hopefully.

Loved it, highly recommended for those looking for a non-resort experience.

• Liked — The seclusion of each burre.
  • Disliked — Short showers due to limited supply of fresh water.
  • Tips/Secrets — Get certified to scuba dive before going, it was an incredible experience.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank saylke
san francisco
Reviewed August 22, 2006

This place is awesome. I couldn't believe we were able to get one of the six bures at all, even more amazed that there were only two other couples when we got there, just us when we left. I guess people are afraid to take a chance on so isolated a place; I just wish we hadn't wasted so much time and money on the Yasawas first and had just gone straight to Moody's. (Not that the Yasawas don't have their charms, but Moody's is exactly the experience you were thinking about when you thought "Wouldn't it be nice to go to Fiji...")
The diving there is mind blowing, the food great, the company outstanding and the smiles genuine. Even if you don't dive but are looking for a relaxing natural experience away from the crowds this is the place. One of the other couples that was there with us was on their third or fourth visit; it's that kind of a place, unique in the world.
I read some of the other reviews talking about mosquitos and spiders; there are a few mosquitos at dusk, but really not many given the lack of still water on the island, it's relative isolation and the trade winds. Really not a problem at all, more so elsewhere in Fiji. And I never saw a single spider the whole week we were there.

Stayed July 2006
5 Thank loebus
San Francisco
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Stayed here for a week with my wife in June 2006. Moody's was exactly what we expected it to be but it may not be for other travellers....

There's no pool, television, radio, or electricity. You are on a wild little island in the middle of the sea so there are mosquitos, spiders, birds and bats - everywhere! You need to walkaround to get everywhere. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are at communical tables with the owners and or other guests.

If you don't like what you've read so far then Moody's is not for you.

There are six spacious "bures" (houses) situated well away from each other. The one we stayed at was on the cliffside and had spectacular views of the see and the mainsland (on a clear day). There's a wraparound deck 5 large doors that open to catch the breezes. Our Bure had a large bed (with Mosquito netting) and TWO (2) bathrooms with a shared shower.

The design and construction of the Bure's is absolutely ingenious. They are self-sufficient and use rainwater for drinking water and salt water for the toilets. The heater for the water is powered by gas as are the gas lights. There are small electric reading lights and a fan which appear to be solar powered.

The meals were good and varied and were served in a large Bure (the Club House). We spent our days at the beaches, kayaking, hiking, and diving. The island is small so you can get walk from one end to the other in an hour or two and there are several small sandy beaches (mostly tidal so big parts of the beach dissappear at high tide).

The diving is absolutely spectacular. It's close to the island and very relaxed. The dive crew is excellent. They know the dive sites and each dive was effortless in terms of getting to the site and back on the boat.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank TheWorldTraveller
Hamilton
Reviewed October 20, 2005

This is may be the last place on earth where you can still find truly unspoiled natural beauty. The remote location and charmingly dated accommodation ( gas lamps ) make you feel like you are vacationing in a lost world where time has stood still and for the better.
The snorkeling or scuba is unsurpassed, the food delicious and the hosts most interesting and gracious.
This resort is not for people who want to be entertained, its for lovers of nature and lovers.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank Bikerpetepi
New Jersey
Reviewed February 3, 2005

we went there sept. 2004. loved it, loved it. it's not for people who want luxury - more like upscale camping - but it was a wonderful honeymoon. joan and tom are great. the staff is great and i wanted to take the cook home with me. only six bures on the island and only two other couples were there when we were so we were almost always alone on the beach. amazing views. amazing snorkling. only down sides were the mosquitos and the boat ride there.

6 Thank njtraveler15