I found Moody's Nemana Resort here on Trip Advisor while looking for a tropical, secluded location for our honeymoon and definately was not disappointed.
Some of the highlights were 10 incredible scuba dives all within about 15 minutes by boat from their dock, beautiful views from our burre looking out over the ocean, warm (80's) weather in the middle of their winter, great accomodation of our vegetarian diet at the communal meals...just to name a few. The Moody's staff are all local Fijians which helps the local economy. The staff were very friendly and professional, especially the dive staff.
The dive staff were careful to check out our newly acquired scuba diving skills and let us familiarize ourselves with the rental dive gear(via a shore dive) prior to doing boat dives on their reef. I had heard it was some of the best diving in the world, I don't have much to compare it to being a new diver but it was like what you see on National Geographic programs on TV....incredible hard and soft coral, amazing numbers of fish, reef sharks, turtles, barracuda, blue ribbon eels (saw 1), leaf fish, lion fish and on and on. Safety stops on top of the bommies were the best :)
The island is about a mile long and maybe 1/5th of it has been "developed" with dirt roads leading to the burres which are quite nicely spaced so as to always feel like you have your own area. Meals are a fun time to get together with everyone which are likely to be from all over the world. When we were there we had couples from Australia, Germany and the US there. Several of the couples were repeat customers, we'll be joining that group soon hopefully.
Loved it, highly recommended for those looking for a non-resort experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Namena Island Resort is a privately owned Fiji island resort. 6 Bure's (cottages) strategically located to maximize ocean views and enjoy the ocean breezes. Maximum guest capacity 12 people. 3 gorgeous private beaches. Namena is rated the "Best Dive Destination In Fiji" and ranked as one of the "Top 10 Dive Destinations in the World". Namena Island is surrounded by a reef designated as a marine reserve with over 22 world famous dive sites all within a 10 minute boat ride from our boat jetty. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Moody`s Namena Hotel Savusavu
- Moodys Namena Hotel
- Moodys Namena Resort All Inclusive
- Namena Island Dive Resort Fiji/Savusavu