Moodys Namena is definately not for everyone. On our first night i thought " oh no we are stuck here for 7 nights - why didn't we book for 5 ( the minimum stay ).
On night 4 i thought "thank goodness we have another 3 nights"
On night 6 i wanted to book 3 more but it was full over Christmas & the New Year
I thought that communal dining especially with no menu choice was my worst nightmare but i loved it ( & so did my wife) - the other guests Ron & Carol ( there were only the 4 of us for the first 4 nights) were great & the Moodys are just unbelievable & fantastic. We soon settled into the routine & loved it.
The Bures pronounced " Bure Rays" are fantastic - better than they appear on the web site, spacious,very private with million dollar views. With 5 double doors there is a constant cooling breeze although not strong enough to drive away the mosquitos. Namena had much more rain last year than usual so a higher number of mossies than usual. Luckily the bites are not too bad.
Towels & sheets are changed every day. The diving is fantastic - some of the best we have ever done with some dives seeming to combine just about everything a diver could wish for - coral gardens,abundant fish life like being in an aquarium as well as sharks & mantas. If you dive go to Moodys - if you dont dive -learn !! ( nb see previous review from non diver )
They do a one tank dive at 9.00am & 2.00pm. We enjoyed the fishing as you know that the catch will be eaten that night or the next day. The Trevally was just wonderful & doesnt come any fresher. If you have never fished dont worry the guys will look after you.
The staff about 13 in total are just superb - all of them. If you are lucky enough to visit Moodys dont miss the opportunity of playing volley ball with them. You will just love it & at half time they will knock the top off a coconut for you.On our wedding anniversary they came & sang for us - not because they were told too but because they wanted too. It was very special.
Tom Moody takes 3 meals a day with the guests ( Joan skips dinner) & he must have told his stories a thousand times but he makes you feel as if you are the first to hear it.
When we left i had a tear in my eye & i dont mean a metaphoric one. I was sad to be leaving wonderful people & a wonderful place behind me.
I dont know what the future holds for Namena but Tom is 77 & even he can't go on forever & without Tom & Joan and Lil (some of the year ) the place will not be the same. So go soon !
Joan was fantastic before our trip with lots of helpful advice & booked our internal flights & a stop over hotel in Nadi ( pronounced Nandi )
However a word of warning - with communal dining your experience will depend on who you are sharing the table with - we were lucky. Very lucky & will stay in touch with our fellow adventurers. Had we been there the week before it would have been awful - we met the couple concerned on Taveuni so we know !!
The previous reviewer recommended Moodys for honeymooners - well she should know - however for an old fashioned honeymoon i would think twice. Very hot to be too active , mosquitos & communal dining - not the classic recipe for a honeymoon.
However old fashioned honeymooners aside - if you can - GO - it is a very special experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Namena Island Resort is a privately owned Fiji island resort. 6 Bure's (cottages) strategically located to maximize ocean views and enjoy the ocean breezes. Maximum guest capacity 12 people. 3 gorgeous private beaches. Namena is rated the "Best Dive Destination In Fiji" and ranked as one of the "Top 10 Dive Destinations in the World". Namena Island is surrounded by a reef designated as a marine reserve with over 22 world famous dive sites all within a 10 minute boat ride from our boat jetty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Namena Island Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moody`s Namena Hotel Savusavu
- Moodys Namena Hotel
- Moodys Namena Resort All Inclusive
- Namena Island Dive Resort Fiji/Savusavu